Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Zuma ( formerly The Drunken Fry)

1. Default Zuma ( formerly The Drunken Fry)

Anyone been here? I came across this review in an email. I had never even heard of it.

The Drunken Fry
    Filed under: Food & Bev — Posted by Sarah @ 9:57 am

I think I have a new favorite bar (er, gastropub).

Friday night, Dwight and I went to check out The Drunken Fry (5100 Classen Circle, OKC). The Official Grand Opening is actually today, but Dwight happened to be Twittering at the right time, in the right place – and found out that they’d be quietly opening on Friday.

I like the concept of The Drunken Fry. They have sixty-five different beers, and Belgian pommes frites with eighteen different sauces. And I like the location – nestled in by the Hi-Lo, it’s the same space that once housed Sidecar. (R.I.P., Sidecar.)

We were greeted warmly at the door by a guy who, I presume, is the manager and/or owner of The Drunken Fry. The three of us discussed the interior for a few minutes – Dwight and I were shocked at how different it looks now. They’ve incorporated what used to be Sidecar’s patio area into the interior, and this seems to have practically doubled the space. (If you’ve ever been to Sidecar, you know that it was probably not much more than a thousand square feet. It may have been the tiniest bar I’ve ever seen, although the Electro Lounge comes pretty close.)

We grabbed a table, ordered a couple of beers (Coop Native Amber for me, a Stella for Dwight) from our super-nice, super-adorable waitress, and got a prompt start down the road to membership in The Drunken Fry Beer Club (drink sixty of their sixty-five beers, and your picture goes on the wall).

So, you might be wondering what the fries are like. I’m getting to that. They’re hand-cut and served in paper cones, with little ramekins of sauce on the side. If I remember correctly (I was a little too buzzed to take good notes), there were three different sizes: regular ($3.00), big ($5.00), and even bigger ($7.00). We got two regular orders, one with the #5 “The Death Starr” (truffle-mushroom-mayo) sauce, and one with the #13 “Mon Frere Pierre” (peppercorn-blue cheese) sauce.

The truffle-mushroom-mayo sauce was amazing at first, but after awhile became oppressively rich. I preferred the relatively lighter Mon Frere Pierre. As for the fries, they were cooked well – thin, crispy, not too greasy. My only complaint is that they were a little too salty, but then again, I’m not a big salt fan. I suspect most people would probably think the salt level was just fine.

Other sauces I look forward to trying are the #4 “Sidecar is Dead” (sundried tomato aioli), the #7 “My Own Private Idaho” (loaded sour cream), the #15 “Sunday Morning Coming Down” (Bloody Mary ketchup). There’s also a “Yoshimi’s Battle” (#14), but I’m a little unsure about the banana-coconut combination. Maybe I’ll work up to that one. I love the name, though.

The Drunken Fry seems like it will be a fantastic, laid-back place to hang out after work if you’re in the mood for some good beers, a great snack, and good conversation. If you want a less chilled-out scene, we were told that Sunday nights would be theme nights, and the theme for each week’s party would be posted at the bar earlier in the week.

The Drunken Fry is open seven days a week, 4:00pm – 2:00am. Check it out. You’ll probably see us there, working towards our beer club membership.

Default Re: The Drunken Fry

Do they have anything besides pomme frites?

MadMonk Guest

No lunch? Damn!

I saw a review on the Fox Morning News today. Does anyone know if they offer any other menu items, other than beer and fries - ?

Thanks.

Urbanspoon has a photo of their menu board listing their sauces.

The Drunken Fry Photos

I've heard they allow smoking which means I'll never set foot in the place.

8. Default Re: The Drunken Fry

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    Oh man, which means I'll be there ASAP!

Same here.

Which means I'll grudgingly set foot in there and not hang out extensively...they ARE fries after all, fried in I-don't-know-what.

Great concept, great beer/frites!

Went during the 'soft' opening and plan on going back many more times.

Mallen, you in?

12. Default Re: The Drunken Fry

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Great concept, great beer/frites!

Went during the 'soft' opening and plan on going back many more times.

Mallen, you in?
    Any time; you know I live right there pal!

This sounds phenomenal! I just wish it was non-smoking. Oh well, have to save it for "date night." LOL!

Lord Helmet Guest

Well, if it's a pub, I'd expect it. I'm not gonna boycott anything based on smoke

Just to be clear, I didn't mean my comments as a boycott, just that I would never eat in a place where people were smoking.

It literally makes me nauseous.

BTW, Oklahoma is one of only 13 states without any sort of statewide smoking ban and the only one that specifically prohibits local municipalities for imposing tougher standards.

Sounds like a cool concept. I want to try it out soon.

My boyfriend and I went there last night, after much anticipation due to this thread. We got the "Big Daddy" order to share, along with 4 different sauces. I gotta say, as cool of a concept as this place is, not to mention a pretty awesome beer selection, I don't think it's worth the price. We paid $11 for french fries essentially, and we were no where near full when we were done. If they were to expand their menu and offer burgers or some other bar food, this would definitely be the place to be. But $11 for a "snack" and then having to go somewhere else to buy dinner, seems too steap to bear.

Just to be clear, I didn't mean my comments as a boycott, just that I would never eat in a place where people were smoking.

It literally makes me nauseous.

BTW, Oklahoma is one of only 13 states without any sort of statewide smoking ban and the only one that specifically prohibits local municipalities for imposing tougher standards.
    I stand with ya Pete.

I was there Friday night, approaching midnight. It was a decent crowd, well-behaved, and the ventilation seemed to be working well for those leery of tobacco smoke (though for those who are nauseated by the smell, I wouldn't know).

I tried a regular just to get a feel, even as a patron near the counter heartily recommended at least a large. All told, it's about the size, more or less, of a large McDonald's fry. The fries are also of similar width, although the similarities end there. The lengths are irregular, and the skins on some potatoes are intact. The fries are fried slightly crispy while remaining less so throughout—the standard, so I read. I wasn't in the mood for sauce, so I opted for my usual mayonnaise. They're quite good fries, and well-seasoned! The paper cone adds authenticity and a bit of class replete with its specialized holder, although I remain suspect as always about the serving of food in cones—cones are known in the food industry as looking larger than what they actually hold. This isn't the type of place where you care about such things, though, and the fries ARE overflowing the top of the tallish cone.

The atmosphere is friendly.

When I return, I'll see about the sauces.

Guess I don't see the appeal for fries and beer. Maybe fish and chips...but not just overpriced fries. I don't get it. A friend of mine went Saturday and said he enjoyed it just because it was something different. I'm sure I will probably check it out but not be a frequent flyer.

We were there Saturday night and had a great time. Our waitress was great! I wish I could remember her name. I loved the fries too. I have to say I didn't even notice anyone smoking or didn't notice the smell. Anyway, I think it may be my new favorite hang out.

I was there Saturday night to with my girlfriend. Funny that we were all there on the same night. I really didn't notice anyone smoking either. Good ventilation. The dips added a nice appeal to the fries. Only down is the quantity. For $7 you would think you would get a lot more fries. I like the concept but if I return I will only be drinking beer.

Papas and beer? Sounds good to me. I never needed fancy sauces to make me order up some fries.

There used to be a cool record store right next to it. Is that still there? And any really old people who inhabited OKC's underground would remember Gil from the Hi-Lo.

He was a good friend, may he RIP.

yup the record store is still there. there's also a salon

25. Default Re: The Drunken Fry

Quote Originally Posted by Free Won't View Post
    Which means I'll grudgingly set foot in there and not hang out extensively...they ARE fries after all, fried in I-don't-know-what.
    Fries are fried in mel-fry a soy derived "super oil" we can flash these babies on their second run through the oil at 400F. To be honest is cost 5x as much as the potatoes!

Fries are of course hand cut, blanched(to rinse out the starch!), and twice fried the belgian way.

Why have I never heard of this site?!? I'm ian the proprietor btw. Come see me.

The sizes were what I thought were optimal when I was molding the concept. I want there to be a snack size that doesn't fill you up to the point where all that beer you just paid for gets soaked up by the food =)

Sizing/pricing changes are coming! Fancy sauce $1 as always, ketchup, house made mayo, etc. all on the house.

Business has been great, thanks to all the support, I look forward to seeing new faces.

ps. smoking yes, ventilation yes, don't expect a smoke box with no moving air. Happy hours are practically smoke free though. I don't myself or allow my staff to smoke if no patrons are. tip: sit next to the ventilation bank on the ext. wall, all the air moves the other direction.

Thread Information