Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Zuma ( formerly The Drunken Fry)

Default Re: The Drunken Fry

Is this place still open?

Hadn't heard anyone mention it in years.

Yes, but with complete staff turnover. Some went to The Pump, some to HiLo and a few just gone.

3. Default Re: The Drunken Fry

I remember when you could get a shot of whiskey and a beer for $3 on Tuesdays not too long ago (shudders)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Is this place still open?

Hadn't heard anyone mention it in years.
    I went to it recently (just a few weeks ago). Same old, same old. Still have the PBR and shot special. Fries still the same (which are awesome). Not as crowded though and they don't seem to be holding the regular events and shows that they used to be. I was actually having this exact discussion with a friend yesterday who thought they had gone out of business.

It seems like the energy of that whole area has lessened lately. I wonder if it is due to Edna's passing?

Is Ian (of Pump Bar fame) still the proprietor?

No. It's owned by Deep Fork Group. Ian left a few years ago. A lot of the energy and crowd followed the popular staff to other spots.

This whole area is in trouble. I went a few Saturdays ago and Speak, Edna's and Fry were all ghost towns.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    This whole area is in trouble. I went a few Saturdays ago and Speak, Edna's and Fry were all ghost towns.
    It's easy to see how burgeoning walkable bar districts could be more of a draw than the Classen Curve area.

Honest question: Can you even cross the street between Edna's and the Speakeasy and Drunken Fry?

There are no crosswalks... I suppose people just run to the little median, then the rest of the way?

Exactly, Pete. But it can be dicey to and from Edna's.

I really don't know that there is anyway any of those connect easy. To get to Edna's would be very dangerous, but also no safe way from Speakeasy to Drunken Fry.

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    I really don't know that there is anyway any of those connect easy. To get to Edna's would be very dangerous, but also no safe way from Speakeasy to Drunken Fry.
    Speakeasy to Drunken Fry and HiLo is pretty easy.. basically just sidewalks/parking lots/grass (the only street you have to cross is that little curve of Military Avenue). Ednas to those three is rough though. I do regular pub crawls with my beer club, and about once every month or two we do that grouping. But yeah, comparing the walkability of this to say Bricktown, or Campus Corner, or Plaza, this area has lost lots of it's appeal.

perhapd the fabled tunnel from Hi-lo to Ednas would be of assistance in crossing..

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    perhapd the fabled tunnel from Hi-lo to Ednas would be of assistance in crossing..
    Shh... spoilers!

15. Default Re: The Drunken Fry

Is Ian (of Pump Bar fame) still the proprietor?
    Pete, not since December 2012. People do make the crossing between Edna's. It's a shortcut that saves about 1/3 of a mile walking through the classen/nw expressway interchange. It's treacherous and I'm honestly surprised no one has been killed. I brought it up to the city back in 2008 and was never taken seriously.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by IanMcDermid View Post
    Pete, not since December 2012. People do make the crossing between Edna's. It's a shortcut that saves about 1/3 of a mile walking through the classen/nw expressway interchange. It's treacherous and I'm honestly surprised no one has been killed. I brought it up to the city back in 2008 and was never taken seriously.
    I saw someone about two years ago come within an inch of their life trying to make that trek across the interchange. It's truly taking one's life into your own hands to try and cross between these establishments.

On a more topical note, every single time I've visited the Drunken Fry there have been such violent fights that the groups I was with wanted to leave because it was so uncomfortable. I haven't been back since the last incident.

17. Default Re: The Drunken Fry

Well, not that I need personal validation. But I sincerely hope that those fights happened after we left in 2012. Hailey and I have always felt our concepts are a representation of ourselves. Even if we don't (in this particular case) own them. It's tough to watch your creation in the hands of others, for better or worse.

Not sure if this place is closing down or relocating, but employees are saying "The Drunken Fry is having it's last day at this location on Friday."

The Fry is closing it's doors Friday. Well, actually Saturday morning.

Blog Entries

(obligatory dumb remark, please ignore)

wow, I guess we should have let them tear that building down after all

:-P

21. Default Re: The Drunken Fry

End of an era. Though there were other places in this space previously, the Drunken Fry was a stalwart, pioneer in the next-gen, gritty, non-downtown yet urban, hipsterish, limited-kitchen bar establishments. If nothing else it was a direct progenitor of The Pump and Bunker, thanks to the pairing of Ian and Hailey. R.I.P.

Damn. I loved those French fries.

They will be reopening in a new location.

Asked to leave as part of the Classen Circle / Donnay Building renovation.

I'll have more on this later.

They will be reopening in a new location.

Asked to leave as part of the Classen Circle / Donnay Building renovation.

I'll have more on this later.
    Unless they change things up, IMO they shouldn't bother. Ever since Ian sold it, it's just.... stagnated.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Unless they change things up, IMO they shouldn't bother. Ever since Ian sold it, it's just.... stagnated.
    Someone please correct me if I am mistaken. But I don’t believe that Ian ever owned it

Thread Information