Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Zuma ( formerly The Drunken Fry)

1. Default Re: The Drunken Fry

so i went there and i have a ? is it a gay bar? cuz by the crowd that was there im pretty sure it is.

Default Re: The Drunken Fry

Gay people... no problem. Smoking...have fun without me!

(Straight, ex-smoker)

3. Default Re: The Drunken Fry

Quote Originally Posted by fromdust View Post
    so i went there and i have a ? is it a gay bar? cuz by the crowd that was there im pretty sure it is.
    Nope. It's an everyone bar.

I made it there last week. I'm a fan already, delicious fries, nice atmosphere, and good music. Look forward to returning.

I want to go, but driving past, I can't tell where the entrance is located. Is it the door facing the busy street? Or on the side of the neighborhood?

6. Default Re: The Drunken Fry

The door is on the Classen Circle (busy street) side of the building.

I stopped by last week….. I can remember on my trip to San Francisco that the guide book really touted the Belgian fries from some place there in San Fran. I tracked it down during my stay there to try them out. It’s cool that we have a place of our own here now.

Good to see somebody offer the Coop beers. That was the first that I’ve seen their porter. Man, they nailed it! Best Coop beer I’ve had yet. I do wish that for a local brewery their pints would go for $4.

Seemed like a pretty cool place. I can see hitting it for a few beers on a night out.

I went with a girlfriend of mine a couple of weeks ago...good crowd, great service and really wasn't smokey at all. BUT, the CO-ED bathroom situation is NOT GOOD! Both bathrooms were GROSS! I could tell they had been cleaned that day, but dudes just yuck up a bathroom...quick.

what's up with the co-ed bathrooms? yuck!

10. Default Re: The Drunken Fry

Mmmm more good feedback I love it =)

Ya it's an everyone bar like mallen said. Although it hasn't happened yet I have offered for anyone in drag to drink free high life on ladies night haha. Anyone wearing high heels and makeup DESERVES to drink free for a few hours a week.

And the COOP! unfortunately it's wholesale price dictates my retail price. Talk to JD merryweather on that one, but I know operating a small-time local brewery that only does kegs creates a mountain of costs. Mostly in ingredient which I have seen firsthand and I must say they are top shelf. Must be why that porter is do damn gooooood!

BUT I will add that my DNR is the cheapest in town ($5) it's twice the purchase investment but I still maintain the dollar profit ratio to the other flavors rather than a %tage of cost.

Thanks ya'll
    Ian

Yeah, I think I paid like $8 at the Speakeasy for their double Belgian….. that’s just way too high – double or not. $5 for the double Belgian is a pretty good deal. I’m not the biggest Belgian fan to begin with. For some reason I just can’t seem to spend that extra couple bucks on Belgians to really get into them….. Ales suit me just fine generally.

Anyway, kudos for carrying the COOP brews and having a nice beer selection.

12. Default Re: The Drunken Fry

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenfry View Post
    Mmmm more good feedback I love it =)

Ya it's an everyone bar like mallen said. Although it hasn't happened yet I have offered for anyone in drag to drink free high life on ladies night haha. Anyone wearing high heels and makeup DESERVES to drink free for a few hours a week.

And the COOP! unfortunately it's wholesale price dictates my retail price. Talk to JD merryweather on that one, but I know operating a small-time local brewery that only does kegs creates a mountain of costs. Mostly in ingredient which I have seen firsthand and I must say they are top shelf. Must be why that porter is do damn gooooood!

BUT I will add that my DNR is the cheapest in town ($5) it's twice the purchase investment but I still maintain the dollar profit ratio to the other flavors rather than a %tage of cost.

Thanks ya'll
    Ian
    I didn't know all that, Ian. The Fry just became the place I take people for COOP tastings!

And anyone in drag gets free highlife!? Man, I bet you'd get lots of hits on that if it weren't on Sunday!

not a fan of co-ed bathrooms!

I think its nice that you are giving girls the extra option, to avoid a line -- but like they do at Galileo's they keep one of them GIRLS ONLY and it makes a big difference.

a dirty bathroom is a deal breaker.

After reading the thread I went to the Drunken Fry with some friends all whom are non smokers. There were about 8 people in the bar; some were smoking cigars. The smoke did not bother any of use. Haley ( which is the best hostess in town and you should go see her) advised cigar smoking is not normally allowed in the restaurant. We all ordered various beers and we enjoyed them immensely. The fries were fresh and hot. When we told Haley (which is the best hostess in town and you should go see her) she gave us some complimentary sauces since it was all of our time to visit, we all had our favorites. I liked 1, 3 and 5. I will defiantly be going back and will enjoy the beer, the fries and Haley's smile and friendly service.

Quote Originally Posted by rondvu View Post
    I liked 1, 3 and 5...
    That's odd.

*rimshot*

Quote Originally Posted by fromdust View Post
    You do realize it's right next to the Hi-Lo, right? The Hi-Lo is a gay bar. The Hi-Lo was owned by one of the best people I have ever met, a kind soul named Gil. Gil was an icon in OKC for years. At least to me, he was.

Back before there were gay rights and parades, Gil was there in OKC providing a cabaret for the community. He was also a rancher who raised prize bulls and was active in one of the cattleman's groups, I can't remember which one. Kind of hard to believe, but he would take trips to Denver and come home with blue ribbons and then put on the best damn drag show you have ever seen.

I often wondered if those ranchers knew about Gil's other life.

He had a beautiful ranch on the east side of OKC. I cannot say enough good things about Gil, may he RIP.

Gil Ray Ives; Celebrity of the Month - February, 2003

Twenty something years ago the Hi-Lo was a jazz club wasn't it? I remember going there a time or two and then the next time I went I was stopped at the door and told it was a private club. I suppose gaydar kept me out if that's when it changed.

18. Default Re: The Drunken Fry

Hi-Lo is what it is and will always be. It's been on this planet longer than I and I have no doubt it will be there until the building crumbles. The show is still running friday nights now run by D'shane (spelling?) who was displaced by katrina. Now operated by chris, Charlie, and owen, I know I am leaving out some people, my mistake.
    They are some pretty awesome neighbors I must say. Makes me feel honored to operate in between hi-lo and ednas, two heavy hitters in the OKC dive bar offerings.

Oh yeah and COOP, I have 4. Will probably take off zeppelin when oktoberfest kicks in. I plan to run as many oktoberfest handles as possible and all bottled varieties available to me. It'll be a party for sure!

Ian

Hi-Lo is what it is and will always be. It's been on this planet longer than I and I have no doubt it will be there until the building crumbles. The show is still running friday nights now run by D'shane (spelling?) who was displaced by katrina. Now operated by chris, Charlie, and owen, I know I am leaving out some people, my mistake.
    They are some pretty awesome neighbors I must say. Makes me feel honored to operate in between hi-lo and ednas, two heavy hitters in the OKC dive bar offerings.

Oh yeah and COOP, I have 4. Will probably take off zeppelin when oktoberfest kicks in. I plan to run as many oktoberfest handles as possible and all bottled varieties available to me. It'll be a party for sure!

Ian
    Very nice post, DF. Thank you for the kind words re Gil.

You are also close to that cool record shop, but I can't remember the name. I have been to that establishment that is another one of your neighbors when it was a sandwich shop.

I remember asking how they make pastrami's one time and told him how they make them in the L.A. area. My memory is not working today.

Anyway, we are definitely going to give you a visit when we hit the "big town". (I hail from hooterville).

20. Default Re: The Drunken Fry

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    That's odd.

*rimshot*

Ian
    Luv me some Oktoberfest...Running any happy hour specials?

22. Default Re: The Drunken Fry

Quote Originally Posted by hagrid View Post
    You do realize it's right next to the Hi-Lo, right? The Hi-Lo is a gay bar. The Hi-Lo was owned by one of the best people I have ever met, a kind soul named Gil. Gil was an icon in OKC for years. At least to me, he was.

Back before there were gay rights and parades, Gil was there in OKC providing a cabaret for the community. He was also a rancher who raised prize bulls and was active in one of the cattleman's groups, I can't remember which one. Kind of hard to believe, but he would take trips to Denver and come home with blue ribbons and then put on the best damn drag show you have ever seen.

I often wondered if those ranchers knew about Gil's other life.

He had a beautiful ranch on the east side of OKC. I cannot say enough good things about Gil, may he RIP.

Gil Ray Ives; Celebrity of the Month - February, 2003
    sorry for being ignorant, but i just found out that hi-lo is a gay bar. so it occurred to me that df has some spillover.
    the friends and i will be back soon. we absolutely love the pbr and shot speacial! and the dnr is waaaay cheaper than at prohibition room.

PBR and a shot is great. had 1 when i was there. I think the Hi-Lo used to be a little more gay than it is now. Lots of metro's and hipsters. That could be confusing to some people. Straight guys in tight jeans(used to wear girls jeans).

24. Default Re: The Drunken Fry

hah! they're still girls jeans =)

yep and oktoberfest will be awwwwesome! Headed to a trade show on sunday to check out okcs new beer offerings, looking forward to tasting some new oktobers from across the sea. Ooo and fruli it sounds interesting. Strawberry sour beer from belgium but it's more expensive than silver oz for oz.

The record shop is charlies, I go in and spoil myself about once a week. Found the who album with art done by any warhol and the very first jeff beck LP that's all blatent ripoffs of other artist (he says so himself on the back cover!)

I was just talking to someone the other day about pastrami, I want one! A good one...wheres the super jewy delicatessen in OKC? I needs me some corned beef!

I was just talking to someone the other day about pastrami, I want one! A good one...wheres the super jewy delicatessen in OKC? I needs me some corned beef!
    As I've said in another thread on here somewhere about pastrami, I think the best place for sandwiches is ND Foods on Britton Rd. They serve Boars Head meats & their sandwhiches are piled high. Their desserts are awesome too. Another great place for sandwiches that I've recently discovered is Oma's Pantry on 23rd & Council....they're a European gourmet grocery/deli.

Thread Information