Widgets Magazine

Thread: Alray's Cleaners Neon Damaged by Wind Storm

Unhappy Alray's Cleaners Neon Damaged by Wind Storm

The wind storm that blew through the Midwest City - Del City area on July 16, 2009 blew out a window at the Alray's cleaners in the Lockheed Shopping Center at SE 15th St. and Lockheed Dr. The neon signs in the windows were damaged by the storm.

Here is a picture of what the neon has looked like for as long as I can remember.

Alray's Cleaners and Laundry on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I hope that the owners restore it to its original condition.

2. Default Re: Alray's Cleaners Neon Damaged by Wind Storm

Not to mention Jenkins, Midwest City High, Motel 6, the Sherrif's service station, etc. There are a lot of places around that got some good damage yesterday.

Default Re: Alray's Cleaners Neon Damaged by Wind Storm

The entire OSM looks like a forest of silver maples exploded! There are silver maple leaves, branches twigs and trees everywhere - it has been awful.

We now have electricity, cable, internet and phone - you don't realize how good you have it until you don't.

I know they say straight winds, but the damage is very tornadic looking. Do they have half-funnels?

I wasn't able to watch the news last night because of a power failure. I am told that I was seen on News9 last night screwing plywood over the broken window at Jenkins. The footage apparently wound up on the cutting room floor for subsequent newscasts which is OK with me.

I don't ever recall experiencing winds of that magnitude in my life.

All of the winds that I witnessed were on the order of an estimated maximum 80+ miles per hour out of the north, however, I am wondering how, with winds of that ferocity, the piece of McDonalds sign managed to land 1/4 mile directly west of the McDonalds in the Furniture Gallery parking lot.

I live in the mile west of the Original Mile and there were a few tree limbs down as well as siding stripped from exterior walls of houses (one a south wall at that ?!?) and one older roof that was peeled back. Fortunately, the ice storm of a year and a half ago cleared most of the weak branches from the trees around here, so the biggest problem was leaves strewn about and things (some large) in the yards that came from other yards.

Today I noticed several sheds wrecked in the backyards that back up to MCHS. They were picked up and thrown pretty far. I think our neighborhood directly north of the original mile got the worst tree damage. Our shop on base directly off the golf course caught tons of wind and lost power, as well as garage doors and fencing. Does anyone know exactly what direction the winds were headed?

6. Default Re: Alray's Cleaners Neon Damaged by Wind Storm

Quote Originally Posted by Lauri101 View Post
    I know they say straight winds, but the damage is very tornadic looking. Do they have half-funnels?
    That is what I believe and many others does as well. It wasn't quite a tornado, but it lowered pretty much halfway. I'm not sure how much close it got to the ground, but we felt the effect from it.

Thread Information