Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: BBQ Chop Shop

Northwest OKC BBQ Chop Shop

Friends of my daughters have opened a new BBQ restaurant on N. May just south of Wilshire. The couple who own it formerly lived in Texas and operated a successful BBQ place there before moving back to the OKC area to be near friends and family.

I have had ribs, brisket, sausage and smoked turkey so far, along with their beans, slaw and potato salad. I can safely say that their meats and sauces are as good as I've had in the past 30 years or so (since Pulliam's ceased business).

Go give it a try. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Default Re: BBQ Chop Shop

In the old Pizza Hut?

3. Default Re: BBQ Chop Shop

We live in the neighborhood and saw the place go in. We'll have to go try it. We drive up to Edmond and eat BBQ at Billy Sims.It would be nice to have someplace closer that we like.

Yep, in the old Pizza Hut building. I absolutely love BBQ - I do some at home that I think is really good - and I know good BBQ - THIS IS EXCELLENT BBQ!!!

I was just going to make a thread about this place. I think it's great. The jalapeno sausage is the best thing on the menu in my opinion and their hot sauce is better than any other local BBQ sauce.

6. Default Re: BBQ Chop Shop

they are good!

7. Default Re: BBQ Chop Shop

We ate there tonight for the first time and were quite impressed. I had a brisket dinner and my son had the chicken dinner. Both were very good and the BBQ sauce was thick and not watered down like so many places.We took some brisket to my husband and he loved it too. We live in the neighborhood and have been driving to Edmond to eat BBQ. Now all we have to drive 12 blocks. I promise, we'll be going back often. It is located at 7801 N May for those not familiar with the area. You ought to go try them out sometime. It is very casual dining at a good price.

i went there today for lunch was ok nothing great. also they no longer have the jalapeno sausage, they said they are thinking about bringing it back. they had cheap tasting hot links in its place

9. Default Re: BBQ Chop Shop

I am hoping they expand their side orders. They need to add some really good beans and maybe salads. I don't eat sausage, so that isn't something I would eat.

I have eaten their beans and thought they were great. Try the cream style corn.

11. Default Re: BBQ Chop Shop

My son got the corn and it looked good. I liked their cole slaw.

Time for another BBQ Chop Shop fix!!! Meet me there and I''l buy! OK?

13. Default Re: BBQ Chop Shop

We ate at the Chop Shop last night, and it so good. I am getting addicted to the cream corn. I always get the chopped brisket dinner, and no longer find the need to travel to Edmond for BBQ. The people at the Chop Shop are very nice.I think that if anyone tries it once, they won't go anywhere else.

One of the departments in our company catered a luncheon with the Chop Shop today and it was awesome. Especially when they had leftovers!

I have to get over to the Chop Shop THIS WEEK! Gotta have some brisket and sausage.

What time in the evening do they lock the doors?

Not sure...I'll find out, though.

Given enough time I can do anything....Chop Shop hours are 11am - 9pm Mon-Sat (closed Labor Day). Ya'll go and try this place. It's good BBQ - guaranteed - and the couple that own this store are great people you will enjoy getting to know.

I finally happened to make it to the Chop Shop today for lunch and will offer my personal review. Keep in mind that BBQ is an opinion and I smoke food 4-6 times a month and feel like I do a pretty good job.

I had the 1/2 sliced brisket dinner with beans and cream corn.

The cream corn is a must have. It is one of the best cream corn I have ever had. This is all I can say about them.

The beans were good. They were different than you normal BBQ baked beans that you get a local BBQ joint. They were a little sweet for my preference (to much BBQ or Brown Sugar baked in). Even though they were sweet to me I would have no problem getting them again.

The sliced brisket was beautiful to look at. Had a deep smoke ring and a nice looking bark. The brisket was definetely smoked (almost to heavy but not quite) unlike many of the local joints that I swear must use an oven to actually cook their briskets as they have very little flavor. It was sliced nicely and looked good but overall it was a little dry. I think this will be a problem with the majority of people that don't know oven baked soaking in beef broth from true low and slow.

The sauce was very good as well. I ate the hot and although I did not find it that Hot your average person will probably be able to enjoy the hot sauce.

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner_Fan View Post
    I finally happened to make it to the Chop Shop today for lunch and will offer my personal review. Keep in mind that BBQ is an opinion and I smoke food 4-6 times a month and feel like I do a pretty good job.

I had the 1/2 sliced brisket dinner with beans and cream corn.

The cream corn is a must have. It is one of the best cream corn I have ever had. This is all I can say about them.

The beans were good. They were different than you normal BBQ baked beans that you get a local BBQ joint. They were a little sweet for my preference (to much BBQ or Brown Sugar baked in). Even though they were sweet to me I would have no problem getting them again.

The sliced brisket was beautiful to look at. Had a deep smoke ring and a nice looking bark. The brisket was definetely smoked (almost to heavy but not quite) unlike many of the local joints that I swear must use an oven to actually cook their briskets as they have very little flavor. It was sliced nicely and looked good but overall it was a little dry. I think this will be a problem with the majority of people that don't know oven baked soaking in beef broth from true low and slow.

The sauce was very good as well. I ate the hot and although I did not find it that Hot your average person will probably be able to enjoy the hot sauce.
    What a great review. I think the relative dryness or moistness of the brisket may depend on when you get there. It's a little delicate keeping it moist while holding it at the right temp. I agree that the sauce is right on. Hot but not so hot as to damage the experience. Got to try the corn! I hope they will bring back the jalapeno sausage. It was good.

My wife and I ate dinner there about 4-5 weeks ago. Won't bother with going back. Food was like you would get in a convenience store that had been under the heat lamp for several hours.

Quote Originally Posted by phinzup View Post
    My wife and I ate dinner there about 4-5 weeks ago. Won't bother with going back. Food was like you would get in a convenience store that had been under the heat lamp for several hours.
    Everybody has a bad day, even La Baguette! Give them another chance. The beans and cream-style corn are great sides and their meat-smoking is excellent. I know barbecue and this is GREAT barbecue.

Meet me there and I'll pay if you don't like it.

Try the Grand Theft Tater with Rib Meat....a meal for about $5.00.

Who wants to meet me at the BBQ Chop Shop tonight? It's a great night for BBQ and Chad and Eryn do it right!

I'd go back and meet you tonight, but I live in Phoenix. Went there about three weeks ago. Verrry nice people! We got there at 2 o'clock and had the place to ourselves. I had the rib sandwich and slaw. BIL had the brisket. I'm pretty picky about que, but this is as close to mine as I've found. It could use just a tad more smoke in the meat and the sauce was just too sweet for my taste (and also not hot enough). I went back to see the smoker and it looks like it's an Oklahoma Joe's brand (I use a custom smoker from Lang's out of Nahunta, Ga.) I have to say, Chop Shop is far better than Leo's, but please, owners, do something about the decor! It's a rib shack, not a Pizza Hut! Collect some OKC memorabilia, old pictures, warm the place up with something other than rock band posters, and get some comfortable chairs.

(just my opinion)

Thread Information