Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: BBQ Chop Shop

Default Re: BBQ Chop Shop

Quote Originally Posted by MsDarkstar View Post
    I went in on the same day that the article came out & the employee that helped me (the guy with the ponytail that used to run the Jake's BBQ stand at Buy For Less on Council) said that the paper didn't inform them that the article was coming out that day, so they weren't prepared for the rush. I wanted to try the strawberry cake, but they were out by the time I got there.
    No offense to the proprietors, but hadn't they already been interviewed? If so, one would think they would consider the article a possibility and plan accordingly.

Just because you are interviewed doesn't mean you are going to make the papers or broadcasts. Many times I have known of interviews for "non-news" features that didn't hit the public until weeks later. Some might think that it was not going to run and were not notified about when it might.

... interviewed doesn't mean you are going to make the papers or broadcasts. Many times I have known of interviews for "non-news" features that didn't hit the public until weeks later. ...
    This

I stopped by…..I guess on the day the article came out. He showed me an article on their place and how they were almost sold out of meat. I had a sliced brisket sandwich and the cream corn that everybody talks about. It was all very good. The people there seemed really excited to have my business and that counted for something too. It’s right up the street from me. I’ll probably go back if I have a craving for bbq.

I went back yesterday, got the pulled pork again. I loved it the first time and this time it was even better. I'm toying with the idea of going there again today lol. I also tried the strawberry cake, it was good but I prefer the brownies.

If you haven't had the beans, try the beans. Awesome with rib meat in them.

Today I again had the smoked turkey sandwich and creamed corn. I'm now officially addicted. This is SOOOOO good!

I have an appointment at 5 today up by there. I've been looking forward to it all week cause I've been telling myself I will go get BBQ afterwards lol. Was there last week, had the pulled pork again (just can't make myself try anything else, cause it's soooo good) and green beans. Green beans were great, gonna have 'em again tonight!

Went to the BBQ Chop Shop today for lunch. Had the smoked turkey sandwich. It is still the best smoked turkey in town. Visited with Chad for a while, catering a sales training meeting next week and they have a great catering setup. We'll have chopped brisket, smoked turkey, creamed corn (they call it something special, I forget what) and beans. Thinking about adding strawberry pop cake (you've never had that? It's great) and their new pineapple pop cake. Hungy? I was before I went today and now I want to take a nap.

Well we had the lunch catered from the Chop Shop yesterday. Everyone agreed it was great. We didn't get the corn - Cream E Corn - but got beans, potato salad...

That hot BBQ sauce has quite an after-burn. Really good.

Monday I went by the Chop Shop for lunch. Asked Erin what she recommended. She says "Grand Theft Potato topped with rib meat". So I went for it. Oh...my...gosh!!!! That was out of this world! Nice big potato, baked perfectly, split, buttered, shredded cheese added, then a GENEROUS portion of rib meat added to the top. Added sauce to taste at the table and chowed down. Wow, that was good! If you've never tried one of these, you have no idea how good a baked potato can be.

Go today and try one. Tell them JIMBO sent you.

It's the threshold of the weekend, so plan on a trip to BBQ Chop Shop. In fact, go, eat, then vote for them as your favorite BBQ joint in the Gazette survey. My recommendation: Ribs, beans, cream e corn, hot sauce, strawberry soda pop cake. Wash it down with a big glass of iced tea.

Oh, and tell Chad and Erin hi!

Just got back from Chop Shop. I had another Grand Theft Baked Potato. That is a great meal all by itself but I had to add Cream E Corn too...now I want a nap.

Called them on Sat at 2:00 PM to see if they could hold any cake for us since they've been out of it when we've went before and that's just about the main reason we go. They told my wife "We can hold it, but we may not be open because we may run out of food". WTF, really? Sat afternoon and you're going to run out of food? Pathetic. So we get there at 5:30 PM and sure enough, they're closed (we had to try, it was an early take-dad-out-for-Father's-Day meal and he wanted to eat there, so we gave them a chance). Not going there again if they can't run it right. We've been there 3 times and each time, they've been out of something, so I don't think I'll give them any of my money again if they can't get their s*** together...

So we go to OK Station (father picked them because it was his Father's Day celebration meal) and they're out of pulled pork. Again, WTF?!?! Places did *not* used to run out of food and the sheeple just accept it. Sadly, we did have to accept it since the parents did not want to try to find another restaurant that was hopefully more professionally run than these 2 (I was ready to leave and tried to get them to, but they just ate pork tenderloin instead). Not me, not anymore, I'm walking out of places that run out of food, getting tired of getting half-a**ed service...

:

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Called them on Sat at 2:00 PM to see if they could hold any cake for us since they've been out of it when we've went before and that's just about the main reason we go. They told my wife "We can hold it, but we may not be open because we may run out of food". WTF, really? Sat afternoon and you're going to run out of food? Pathetic. So we get there at 5:30 PM and sure enough, they're closed (we had to try, it was an early take-dad-out-for-Father's-Day meal and he wanted to eat there, so we gave them a chance). Not going there again if they can't run it right. We've been there 3 times and each time, they've been out of something, so I don't think I'll give them any of my money again if they can't get their s*** together...

So we go to OK Station (father picked them because it was his Father's Day celebration meal) and they're out of pulled pork. Again, WTF?!?! Places did *not* used to run out of food and the sheeple just accept it. Sadly, we did have to accept it since the parents did not want to try to find another restaurant that was hopefully more professionally run than these 2 (I was ready to leave and tried to get them to, but they just ate pork tenderloin instead). Not me, not anymore, I'm walking out of places that run out of food, getting tired of getting half-a**ed service...

:
    Luckily they obviously have enough business they can get by without one crank.

:

Well I generally look at it as something that must be good and try to get in before its sold out...Halfa**ed or done right, you tell me tho.

Quote Originally Posted by XtraStout View Post
    Well I generally look at it as something that must be good and try to get in before its sold out...Halfa**ed or done right, you tell me tho.
    In my opinion, they do it right and that is why they sell out sometimes. They are a one-off mom and pop place, btw. Can't afford to throw out a fortune in meat every night to make sure they don't run out.

Oh please, I've been to hundreds of one-off single proprietor restaurants all over the country and very, very, very few have ever run out of food and closed early, especially early on a Saturday evening. I gave them 3 chances, they struck out.

So is this the new normal that's acceptable? Restaurants that close at seemingly random times due to a multitude of reasons? How many times do you whack your head against a brick wall before you stop (or go back to the same restaurant that is closed or somehow f-ed up every time you go)? I hope not, but fear it is...

I notice nobody jumped to the defense of OK Station. :-)

And I don't think their BBQ is really all that special, so it's not making me sad I'm not going back (their creamed corn and cake *was* very good, though), and y'all are probably right, they don't give half a **** if I go back or not, but at least I'll be at peace in my mind that I'm not giving money to people who can't run a restaurant properly. I have yet to find a new place that has as good BBQ as Mr. Spriggs and Piggy's (Piggies?), among other places I used to frequent but can't remember the names of, used to have. Haven't been to Mr. Spriggs in over 15 years, so I hope they haven't changed (for the worse).

BTW, I happen to know they don't throw out their meat each night, they give it away. Yeah, it's still the same result on their end - they don't make money from it, but at least they don't throw it out.

Quote Originally Posted by RealJimbo View Post
    Luckily they obviously have enough business they can get by without one crank.
    Going to a restaurant, expecting them to be open when they say they will be open, expecting them to have all the items on their menu available, and not getting those expectations met all 3 times you go to that restaurant makes one a crank?

I gave them 3 chances, they struck out.
    Go eat at chili's, you wont be missed.

On that same note i love places like this. Specialty places that always have fresh hot food that you know they made that day. I also enjoy places that are only open at special hours (breakfast and lunch only, or dinner only and no weekends, etc,etc). Half of the fun is getting in there and getting some of it before they run out or close for the day.

If you cant be inconvenienced to get off the couch and go before 5pm to pick up some food then i dont feel sorry for you. Would you like to stay at work on the weekend just in case someone who hasn't shown up all day decides to grace you with their presence?

Plenty of big chain restaurants out there that will gladly nuke some precooked, vacuumed sealed, bathed in bbq sauce to cover the gray meat ribs for you.

There's always going to be days where there's an unexpected rush. You can look at past daily averages to forecast for the future, but every now and again there's going to be a day when someone comes in with a party of 20 or something, that makes the food go faster. This is a place that slow cooks their meat, so it's not like they can say oh if you'll hang on a sec, we'll have something out to ya in ten minutes. I'd much prefer them to close because they're out of FRESH food, than to make a whole lot of extra that is just gonna sit & dry out just in case someone shows up later. The way I see it, closing keeps them from compromising their standard of quality. Oh and as far as the cake goes - they make that homemade. They're not a big bakery, they don't have commercial size bakery capabilities so they're making these just like you would at home in a 9x13 pan. When it's gone, it's gone...that's just how it goes.

For the record, I've been to chain restaurants too that have run out of food. Chili's has run out of mashed potatoes, Charleston's out of cole slaw, and Olive Garden has even run out of soup. Running out of food isn't unheard of, it's just not as common at large chains because they deal in processed bulk. Go to small mom & pop type places and you'll see it much more frequently. Bella Vista is a great example of that...they make only so much of everything per day & if it's gone, it's gone. Same way with N D Foods, Oma's Pantry, The Stuffed Olive, and Cafe Bella.

Quote Originally Posted by bradzilla View Post
    Go eat at chili's, you wont be missed.

On that same note i love places like this. Specialty places that always have fresh hot food that you know they made that day. I also enjoy places that are only open at special hours (breakfast and lunch only, or dinner only and no weekends, etc,etc). Half of the fun is getting in there and getting some of it before they run out or close for the day.

If you cant be inconvenienced to get off the couch and go before 5pm to pick up some food then i dont feel sorry for you. Would you like to stay at work on the weekend just in case someone who hasn't shown up all day decides to grace you with their presence?

Plenty of big chain restaurants out there that will gladly nuke some precooked, vacuumed sealed, bathed in bbq sauce to cover the gray meat ribs for you.
    Dude, you have no idea what or where I like to eat, so you should just shut the hell up, but it's too late for that - you have fallen into the standard forum trap of thinking you know about me by what I post. I try *never* to eat at chain restaurants (I've eaten at Chili's twice in the past year and only because it was someone else's choice, *not* mine), shop at the standard big-box stores, etc. I go local as often as I can. Most of your points are moot, but I'll refute them anyway just because I'm an ass...

I eat at places that are only open certain parts of the day too, so that's not an issue - the issue was that they were not open at the hours they're supposed to be.

As for getting there at 5 PM, that was when we were all going to meet (6 of us), so what would be the point of getting there hours beforehand if none of the rest of the party would be there?

As for staying at work on the weekend until 5 PM on a Saturday just so someone will grace them with their presence (to paraphrase you), that's their job, they opened a restaurant, they decided on the hours they will be open and they should be there during those hours (even if there are no customers), that's the way restaurants, retail shops, and most business operate. They should be glad people do grace them with their presence since that's what they're in business for - to serve customers and take their money.

As I said in an earlier post, I stop banging my head against a brick wall (a metaphor for going to a restaurant and not getting satisfactory service, just in case someone thinks I really bang my head against a brick wall) after a few times because it's painful and I learn from the pain not to do that again. What's so hard to understand about that?

Going to a restaurant, expecting them to be open when they say they will be open, expecting them to have all the items on their menu available, and not getting those expectations met all 3 times you go to that restaurant makes one a crank?

Sorry, just messing with you. The owners happen to be personal friends. They are very small operators on a very tight budget who can't afford to keep an overstock. Try any other of the small operators when it comes to restaurants that specialize in meat dishes. Tom's on NE 10th, for example. It has been known for years that they only stay open until the meat is gone. That is true for a lot of BBQ restaurants and small stands.

Quote Originally Posted by MsDarkstar View Post
    There's always going to be days where there's an unexpected rush. You can look at past daily averages to forecast for the future, but every now and again there's going to be a day when someone comes in with a party of 20 or something, that makes the food go faster. This is a place that slow cooks their meat, so it's not like they can say oh if you'll hang on a sec, we'll have something out to ya in ten minutes. I'd much prefer them to close because they're out of FRESH food, than to make a whole lot of extra that is just gonna sit & dry out just in case someone shows up later. The way I see it, closing keeps them from compromising their standard of quality. Oh and as far as the cake goes - they make that homemade. They're not a big bakery, they don't have commercial size bakery capabilities so they're making these just like you would at home in a 9x13 pan. When it's gone, it's gone...that's just how it goes.

For the record, I've been to chain restaurants too that have run out of food. Chili's has run out of mashed potatoes, Charleston's out of cole slaw, and Olive Garden has even run out of soup. Running out of food isn't unheard of, it's just not as common at large chains because they deal in processed bulk. Go to small mom & pop type places and you'll see it much more frequently. Bella Vista is a great example of that...they make only so much of everything per day & if it's gone, it's gone. Same way with N D Foods, Oma's Pantry, The Stuffed Olive, and Cafe Bella.
    Don't get me started on Olive Garden. I like their food but the last visit we made was a disaster. Terrible service. No, it was worse than that. Watched a "supervisor" stand and look down a customer's dress while his wait staff was running in circles, not refilling soup or salad bowls or tea glasses, falling over each other, dropping dishes and food on the floor. I wouldn't have been there in the first place except someone gave me a gift card for Christmas. If that happens again it will get "re-gifted".

Dude, you have no idea what or where I like to eat, so you should just shut the hell up, but it's too late for that - you have fallen into the standard forum trap of thinking you know about me by what I post. I try *never* to eat at chain restaurants (I've eaten at Chili's twice in the past year and only because it was someone else's choice, *not* mine), shop at the standard big-box stores, etc. I go local as often as I can. Most of your points are moot, but I'll refute them anyway just because I'm an ass...

I eat at places that are only open certain parts of the day too, so that's not an issue - the issue was that they were not open at the hours they're supposed to be.

As for getting there at 5 PM, that was when we were all going to meet (6 of us), so what would be the point of getting there hours beforehand if none of the rest of the party would be there?

As for staying at work on the weekend until 5 PM on a Saturday just so someone will grace them with their presence (to paraphrase you), that's their job, they opened a restaurant, they decided on the hours they will be open and they should be there during those hours (even if there are no customers), that's the way restaurants, retail shops, and most business operate. They should be glad people do grace them with their presence since that's what they're in business for - to serve customers and take their money.

As I said in an earlier post, I stop banging my head against a brick wall (a metaphor for going to a restaurant and not getting satisfactory service, just in case someone thinks I really bang my head against a brick wall) after a few times because it's painful and I learn from the pain not to do that again. What's so hard to understand about that?
    One point you may have missed; it is their business to operate as they want. Now you know what the deal is and you don't have to go there, but don't criticize them for running the business the way they want. Go open your own business and see how you end up running it.

Thread Information