Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: What the old folks used to say........

Default What the old folks used to say........

I am not sure if that's a good title but it was the best I could come up with.

Sitting in the backyard the other night I looked at the moon and something my Grandmother used to say came to mind:

"It can't rain when the moon is full because there is no place for the water to get out!"

If it's raining and the sun is shining then, "The the devil is beating his wife!"
    Get him to stop by "Driving a 16penny nail into the ground!"

When we were kids and got to acting-up she would tell us, " I'm going to put you under a washtub and put a rock on top of it!"

Default Re: What the old folks used to say........

My Grandmother used to say, "Damn a dog that don't wag his own tail." She'd say that with a smile when someone would brag on themselves. I still am not exactly sure what that means.

3. Default Re: What the old folks used to say........

Ha! This is a fun one.

I lived with my maternal grandmother for about 3 years, off and on ... most of 1st, all of 2nd, all of 4th grade ... while my mother was getting her feet on the ground after divorce. "Grandmother" (that's what we ... my 2 older brothers and I) called her. She might be something like a female version of "the Grandfather" in Heidi except that she was smaller. She was a slender 4' 10" spitfire from heaven or hell ... best have her on your side, don't you know. Some of her vocabulary's terms and phases that come to mind are ...

"Well, he's/she's a blowed up sucker." Never really figured out what that meant, but it wasn't good to be one, that's for sure.

"That crazy galoot." Here's the wiki definition

I know there were other zingers but I can't think of them at the moment. She also passed along some pearls of wisdom from time to time:

"Never let a woman get on top of you." She was mistaken in that advice, I think.

"Never date a woman that you wouldn't want to marry." I think that the underlying but unspoken premise may have been, "in case she is pregnant."

She and several of her sibling moved to Oklahoma from Washington C.H. (Court House), Ohio, around 1900 and, before moving to other parts of the state, they lived near Duncan. A pair of her sisters landed in Chickasha; Grandmother in Clinton. A couple of brothers moved to central Oklahoma somewhere, one (I think) to Jones and some returned to Ohio. Despite her aggressive tendencies when talking about those in her disfavor, she was full of love for the natural objects of her affection and she remains dear to me still -- even if I was called upon by her, on occasion, to go to the front porch and get a "limber switch" from a bush growing nearby. We knew the consequence of getting a "limber switch" meant, that's for sure!

I remember her "wringing" live chicken's necks to get them ready for the eating (for the uneducated, that means grabbing a chicken by its head/neck and twirling it around until the head twists off) ... amazing how much life those chickens still had in them after their heads were gone, jumping around all over the place for quite a time. A lady across the alley from her had chickens ... Grandmother did, too, at one time, but not when I was around.

I was hoping it would be fun...........

When a dog howls at a siren then that person is dead or will die. Does that mean the dog knows the difference between an ambulance, a fire truck or police car?

One thing she said that always cracked me up was, "I'm about to starve to death for a drink of water"

My aunt, her sister said something that I try to keep in peoples (women) minds is, "A woman should never wait on a man to do what she can do herself!"

I think the one that I hated the most was "They say." My father always used that one to imply the total knowledge of the masses (who always agreed with him). When I was about 14 I once told him that if I knew who "they" were I would kick "they's" butt.

My favorite was one that my Grand Dad used, "Never cuss the man you work for, quit, then damn him to hell."

My favorite aunt used to say "Don't let the tail wag the dog."

"I'm so hungry that my stomach thinks that my throat's been cut", that one comes from my uncle.

The best advice came from my best friend's grand dad, "If you worry that people think you're stupid, keep your mouth shut and try not to prove them right."

How about this one?:...."Hot Dam"....what was that all about....and how about in a fit of fury came out that "Sea Biscuit"....Seabiscuit was quite a horse if my history is right......

My Great Grandmother, a staunch Mormon (she never did get used to calling herself a Latter Day Saint), used to say, "Son of a biscuit eater!" when she was exasperated.

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    How about this one?:...."Hot Dam"....what was that all about....and how about in a fit of fury came out that "Sea Biscuit"....Seabiscuit was quite a horse if my history is right......
    The rest of us need you to verify how good the horse was.

You are the only one of us that was around at that time.

Prunepicker Guest

Default Re: What the old folks used to say...

How about...

I'll slap you so hard your head'll swim!

Pay attention, boy, you'll learn somethin'!

Do that agin' and I'll knock you into next week!

Wise up!

Bless their heart. Paul Harvey said you could get away with calling anybody
    anything as long as you add bless their heart.
    He's so stupid and hasn't a lick of sense, bless his heart.

She's so ugly that if Moses had seen her there'd be eleven
    commandments, bless her heart.

Well, I declare.

Lands o'Goshen

Lawd a mercy (pronounced Mussie)

Well, I'll swan

Your ears are so dirty I could plant potatoes in them.

"If anything is worth doing...it's worth doing well!"

I had a sixth grade math teacher who used to say, "Bless my stars and worn out garters!"

"Don't make me turn you over my checkered apron!"

how about, "He's three-sheets to the wind."

"If that turtle bites you, he won't let go until it thunders!"

when it snows,"Ole Lady God must be pluckin' geese!"

And this doozy, "You can't sleep with your head at the foot of the bed because your blood might rush to your head and you'll die!" I have often wondered if they were being serious.

my grandma always would say grab my pocket book and we'll be on our way and we'll be there directally

S#*t fire and save the matches.

Upon leaving the door open - "were you born in a barn?"

Man, I am ***ged out tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by sansee View Post
    my grandma always would say grab my pocket book and we'll be on our way and we'll be there directally
    pronounced as DREK'ly

Dad nab it:..........?????
    Shoot low Sheriff....he's riding a Shetland.....
    What the Sam???...who was Sam????
    Hang On?????? Too What?
    Moan Back.....When backing a trailer etc.
    Whoa Nellie.....
    Gee Whiz......
    Gosh:.....when did you last here that????

Dad-gum-it

2 that would probably never used today;

1) That's mighty white of you.

2) Free, white and 21!

Quote Originally Posted by papaOU View Post
    Dad-gum-it

2 that would probably never used today;

1) That's mighty white of you.

2) Free, white and 21!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Straighten up or I'll slap you so hard you're Grandkids will feel it...

Go and pick me out a GOOD Switch???? How dumb were we to do it????the little tiny ones really hurt worse than the big clubs....remember that kids....

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Straighten up or I'll slap you so hard you're Grandkids will feel it...

Go and pick me out a GOOD Switch???? How dumb were we to do it????the little tiny ones really hurt worse than the big clubs....remember that kids....
    Had an aunt who when they were in season would go and cut-off part of a rose bush...................
    Where was child protective services.

I'm actually glad they were not around then..............

- I'll swan/I'll swanny
    - With regards to food my Granny would say "that's so sweet/sour/hot it'll make you sit up & slap yer mammy"
    - Well, shoot a monkey ....poor monkeys, what did they do to get shot at?
    - I'm sweatin like a whore in church
    - I'm just-a clickin along (my grandfather's response to someone asking how he's doing)
    - my grandfather never referred to lunch as lunch, he always referred to it as "snackin a bite"
    - my great-grandparents also used to say "son of a biscuit-eater"

@Prunepicker: My fiance has pointed out that before I say something really bad about someone, I usually preface it with "bless his/her heart" LOL

@USG '60: Drek'ly is right! lol I don't think anyone in my family even knows HOW to say directly the right way.

How about Ovar? The house is ovar. My wife is from N.J. she flips at way I pronounce some words.
    Last edited by gen70; 07-29-2009 at 09:57 AM. Reason: add

Guess she would really flip if she heard .........us folks from Southeastern Oklahoma talk

(Yep I warsh my clothes)

i dont know that person from adam

Quote Originally Posted by Jesseda View Post
    i dont know that person from adam
    Or "Come here" from "Sic 'em."

Thread Information