Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Procure

1. Default Procure

Well for some weird reason, the ProCure thread was closed....? Anyway, so they're opening up now, mostly complete. It's interesting to see some of who is involved in the ProCure facility though. Notice how it's only here because McClendon put a lot of cash into it to bring it here....not because of the need. Also it's here because of some doctors that have an ego problem. They don't play nice in the sandbox with others.

OU's proton facility is still on track with their new cancer center. But because there will now be 2 centers in Oklahoma City (and the only ones in Oklahoma), it poses a problem.

ProCure's facility will eventually have 4 rooms, and I believe OU will have 4-6 ( i can't remember ). The way the proton facilities work, is by having a sort of central "reactor" (for lack of a better term) that connects to each room. So you can have many rooms off of one unit....and have to if you want to be able to make any money off of the deal. This type of treatment is INCREDIBLY expensive compared to traditional systems like Linear Accelerators, Cyberknives, etc. It's just another option and isn't really that different than what anyone else uses.

The problem lies in the fact that you really need to keep all the rooms busy in order to turn the profit on the project. With OKC having 8 rooms....will we be able to do that? OU is getting the system for a few reasons. 1 being they are a teaching hospital and it gives students a chance to see another technology. 2 is that it gives patients more options for treatment. 3 when you build these things you have to plan even more than you do for traditional systems because they require even more specialized shielding. So since they are building a new building, why not go ahead and do it now.

OU's won't go away even if it loses money. They have enough funding support to maintain it even if it doesn't make money, and it's incorporated into a significant structure. ProCure, on the other hand, is all my it's lonesome. That gives it pro's and con's. The pro being it's much easier to get in and out of...and faster. The con is that it doesn't have the support of the larger facility to shield it from the profit world if business is slow.

I'll say right now, we have some folks at the OU Cancer Center that were pioneers in the radition treatment world and helped to create some of the rules/guildlines that run the field today. We've got some real icons here and I would trust them with my life...and some of my family have even been through their treatments. Even if it takes OU a little longer to get their project finished, that's where I'm placing my bets on the project actually working.

Default Re: Procure

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Notice how it's only here because McClendon put a lot of cash into it to bring it here....not because of the need. Also it's here because of some doctors that have an ego problem. They don't play nice in the sandbox with others.
    Can't some of you shallow-minded, conspiracy-theorist, excellence-deriding numbskulls ever give it a rest!? It sounds like a great center, I'm glad to have it in my back yard, it didn't cost me a dime, and while I hope to never need it, it's nice to know that it's available and I don't have to travel far to use it. I also know one of the principals and he's a great guy.

Why don't you pull your head out and learn to appreciate what's good in this world?

http://newsok.com/procure-launches-i...ad_story_title

ProCure Proton Therapy Center, 5901 W Memorial Road, celebrated its grand opening Wednesday. PHOTO BY JACONNA AGUIRRE, THE OKLAHOMAN

ABOUT THE CENTER
    →Oklahoma City’s ProCure center was entirely privately financed, and will be responsible for about 100 permanent jobs, including radiation therapists, nurses and administrative staff.
    →Costs for treatment range from $30,000 to $40,000 for shorter courses of treatment up to $80,000 for longer courses, medical director Dr. William Goad said. Reimbursement rates through Medicare are comparable with similar procedures, he said.

I got to tour the facility after the ribbon cutting yesterday. It's an incredible technology, and a great thing to have in our city, and we all should be proud of it... really puts OKC on the ' medical map'.

Isn't there something similar opening soon at the OUHSC?

As I recall, there ended up being two different factions that split and pursued separate facilities.

To answer my own question, this is from a 4/6/07 Oklahoman article:

OU to buy proton cancer treatment
    System will be second in greater Oklahoma City.
    By Susan Simpson Staff Writer

University of Oklahoma officials said Thursday they have signed a contract to acquire a proton cancer treatment system for the Comprehensive Cancer Center under construction on the Oklahoma Health Center campus.

Still River Systems of Littleton, Mass., will supply the system, which should be functional in 2009 or 2010, said Dewayne Andrews, dean of the OU College of Medicine.

He and other officials would not say how the University Hospitals Authority is paying for the multimillion-dollar system.

Only five proton treatment facilities are operating nationwide, Andrews said.

But OU may not be the first to offer the treatment in Oklahoma.

ProCure Treatment Centers had negotiated with OU to build a proton center on the health center campus, but then picked an alternative site along the Kilpatrick Turnpike in far northwest Oklahoma City.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    Isn't there something similar opening soon at the OUHSC?

As I recall, there ended up being two different factions that split and pursued separate facilities.
    Yeah, there will be a proton center in our OU Cancer Center, being built on 10th St.

In regards to Procure, it will mainly serve those with money, thus the reason for the locale. The less fortunate won't have the opportunity to receive treatment there. OU will likely offer more charity care like they currently do.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCTalker
    it's nice to know that it's available and I don't have to travel far to use it.
    If you can afford it it will be available.

Here's the background on how this came to be, from the 2/21/2007 Oklahoman:

Proton cancer treatment center won’t be built at Oklahoma Health Center
    By Jim Stafford Business Writer

The question of just where a $95 million, high-tech proton cancer treatment center will be built in Oklahoma City was answered Tuesday in an announcement that caught some by surprise.

Officials with ProCure Treatment Centers Inc. and its local physician partners said the 55,000 square-foot treatment center will be built on a six-acre site along the Kilpatrick Turnpike at MacArthur Boulevard in far northwest Oklahoma City.

That’s far from a site on the Oklahoma Health Center campus at NE 8 and Lincoln Boulevard that appeared to be the location of choice in January.

Selection of the alternative site was greeted with surprise by Dr. Joseph Ferretti, provost and senior vice president at the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center.

“Our partners, the College of Medicine and the Hospital Trust, have been negotiating with (ProCure),” Ferretti said. “We sent paperwork to them just recently, but we haven’t heard anything from them in the last week and a half, 10 days. This comes as a surprise.”

In the announcement by Pro-Cure, it called the Kilpatrick location part of a “growing medical corridor” along the turnpike.

On Jan. 18, the Oklahoma City Urban Renewal Authority approved a design for the center, which would have placed it at the heart of the city’s health care industry and near a $90 million cancer research center that the University of Oklahoma is building.

While the Urban Renewal Authority’s move was considered a “good positive step toward that location,” it clearly didn’t bind ProCure to the location.

At the time, Hadley Ford, Pro-Cure’s chief executive, said, “We still have sites under consideration and we’re collecting all the information.”

Ford was not available for comment Tuesday, but issued a statement that the Kilpatrick location would facilitate a fast construction schedule. ProCure officials hope to have the treatment center open by the summer of 2009.

“Our decision to choose this particular site was based on our view that we could, with great certainty, meet our aggressive schedule to bring proton therapy to this market,” Ford said in the statement. “Speed is important to us because every month of delay means hundreds of patients will have to forgo treatment.”

In an interview late Tuesday, James Jarrett, ProCure’s vice president for marketing and business development, said the company gave the Health Center location “very serious consideration,” but chose the Kilpatrick site because it presented the best opportunity to quickly get construction under way.

Groundbreaking is expected in the spring, he said.

“We felt that this would really provide the best opportunity to have the most aggressive schedule, which allowed us to start treating patients in as timely a fashion as possible,” Jarrett said.

ProCure will be leasing the sixacre campus, but Jarrett would not identify the owner of the land.

For backers of the Health Center campus location, news of the site selection brought disappointment.

“I’m obviously very disappointed with their choice and would have preferred that they would have gone to the Eighth and Lincoln site that is part of the Health Center,” said Carl Edwards, chairman of the Presbyterian Health Foundation. “Because of the cancer institute that is going to be built on the Health Center campus, we felt like it was a natural complement to that and would actually helped make that comprehensive cancer center even more comprehensive and a better facility.”

Local partners in the center are nine physician members of Radiation Medicine Associates and Radiation Oncology Associates.

ProCure also attracted local investment from a group headed by energy executive Aubrey McClendon, chairman and chief executive of Oklahoma City-based Chesapeake Energy Corp.

“Our decision to choose this particular site was based on our view that we could, with great certainty, meet our aggressive schedule to bring proton therapy to this market,” Ford said in the statement. “Speed is important to us because every month of delay means hundreds of patients will have to forgo treatment.”
    Speed of payment is important to us.

Brzycki could address site selection better than most on this board (being a real estate guy), but ProCure's process wouldn't have been a simple one based on land costs, traffic counts, neighborhood demographics, etc. I'm playing a hunch, but I'd guess that ProCure knew that OU was going into the proton therapy business and needed to differentiate itself: Geography (Kilpatrick/Memorial v. OU Medical Center), a different industry partner (Integris v. OU), financial partners (nine radiation physicians + Aubrey McClendon v. PHF & OU), and seek a different customer (private pay v. subsidized). If there are only 5-6 of these in the US and two are being built here - effectively simultaneously - then you've got to differentiate. Everything they've done here makes sense to me.

Not to mention as the article states, people from all over will be coming here for treatment, so it will be bringing OUT OF STATE money to OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Yeah, there will be a proton center in our OU Cancer Center, being built on 10th St.
    Are you quite sure of that?

In regards to Procure, it will mainly serve those with money, thus the reason for the locale. The less fortunate won't have the opportunity to receive treatment there. OU will likely offer more charity care like they currently do.
    I'm sure there are interest groups involved (as in everything), but this will serve people not only in the Gallardia area, as you suggest, but all over the country. The only Proton therapy centers in the whole country were in Sacramento, Houston, Jacksonville, Boston, and Indy. Worldwide there are only 20 more. That alone makes it a curious statement to say we are getting ANOTHER at OUHSC.
    Last edited by Platemaker; 07-09-2009 at 11:04 AM. Reason: I meant Sacramento not LA

Quote Originally Posted by OKCTalker
    I'm playing a hunch, but I'd guess that ProCure knew that OU was going into the proton therapy business and needed to differentiate itself: Geography (Kilpatrick/Memorial v. OU Medical Center), a different industry partner (Integris v. OU), financial partners (nine radiation physicians + Aubrey McClendon v. PHF & OU), and seek a different customer (private pay v. subsidized). If there are only 5-6 of these in the US and two are being built here - effectively simultaneously - then you've got to differentiate. Everything they've done here makes sense to me.
    OU actually hadn't planned on going into the proton therapy business. They planned on contracting with Procure to operate a facility on their campus. OU only decided to open their own proton therapy center when Procure pulled out of the deal, and chose to locate in far NW OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by Platemaker
    Are you quite sure of that?
    100% sure.

I'm sure there are interest groups involved (as in everything), but this will serve people not only in the Gallardia area, as you suggest, but all over the country. The only Proton therapy centers in the whole country were in Sacramento, Houston, Jacksonville, Boston, and Indy. Worldwide there are only 20 more. That alone makes it a curious statement to say we are getting ANOTHER at OUHSC.
    Yup, OKC will have 2, one at Procure and one at OUHSC. The one at OUHSC was out of disappointment that Procure chose to break off negotiations with OUHSC to build the campus on the OUHSC campus.

It looks like there are at least a dozen proton therapy facilities under construction in the U.S. with lots more on the way, I'm sure.

I think what happened here was that there were different objectives between the two groups. The Procure partners have a lot of money at stake and no doubt considered financial aspects first and foremost.

The OU motivation was no doubt more about research, teaching and adding comprehensive services to it's ambitious new cancer center.

Hopefully they can both be successful.

As I understand it... the Procure facility is only Physician owned photon center ther is.

Here's a 12/7/2008 article about the huge new Cancer Center being constructed at the OUHSC:

State cancer center to bring hope closer
    BY SUSAN SIMPSON
    Staff Writer ssimpson@opubco.com

As construction workers lay slabs for the University of Oklahoma Cancer Institute, top scientists are being recruited to fill labs for the $210 million project.

Creating a National Cancer Institute is more than moving concrete and cranes, said Dr. Robert Mannel, director of the OU facility. It’s building a team of doctors, researchers and caregivers that will offer the best treatment and science in the region.

The seven-story building is expected to open next summer on the OU Health Sciences Center campus in Oklahoma City.

While cancer research and treatment already are offered throughout the campus, the new building will locate them under one roof. It also will allow for new technologies like a proton therapy unit, designation as a National Cancer Institute and more clinical trial opportunities.

There are 63 such institutes in the nation, but none close to Oklahoma City. That means patients often travel to Houston, St. Louis or Albuquerque, N.M., to find the highest standards of care.

Mannel recently spoke with The Oklahoman about the need for such a center in the state.

Q: Why do we need a center here?

A: We are talking about a disease that kills more people under the age of 85 than any other disease. We’re talking about a disease that strikes one in two Oklahoma men and one in three Oklahoma women. We are talking about a disease that still kills nearly 40 percent of the people that are afflicted by it. We have a long way to go before we can rest and say we have conquered this illness. And the way to do that is through highquality research.

Q: Why is the National Cancer Institute designation important?

A: One of the reasons people leave the state is because of the perception we don’t have the most advanced cancer care available here in the state. Getting a designation as a National Cancer Institute means that you kind of got the national Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval. Once that happens, patients will feel more comfortable staying in Oklahoma for their cancer care.

Q: Is it better for their care to get treatment closer to home?

A: Absolutely. When you look at cancer, it’s a very complex disease, and it takes a comprehensive solution, and that solution isn’t just directly the surgery or the radiation or ... the chemotherapy that’s given against the cancer. It’s also the spiritual support, nutritional support, physical therapy, impact upon the family and need for social workers.

Q: Can you give an example of a doctor recruited to the OU Institute?

A: We have just announced recruitment of Dr. Danny Dhanasekaran. He’s a researcher from Temple University in Philadelphia. He’s one of the nation’s leading researchers in cancer. He has a portfolio of over $1 million a year in federal funding because of the quality of research that he does. He’ll be coming here and become our deputy director for the cancer institute.

19. Default Re: Procure

If you can afford it it will be available.
    we'll all have free medical soon. free, free, FREE!

20. Default Re: Procure

100% sure.

Yup, OKC will have 2, one at Procure and one at OUHSC. The one at OUHSC was out of disappointment that Procure chose to break off negotiations with OUHSC to build the campus on the OUHSC campus.
    OKCTalker - this is why I said they didn't play nice in the same box. They may be perfectly nice people on an individual basis, but that doesnt mean they don't let their egos get in the way when deals are to be made. I had the fortune of hearing it from both sides, so I still consider the ProCure people to be the "fault" side.

Next time you decide to show your own butt, why dont you keep it to yourself.

21. Default Re: Procure

Patrick, off topic can you give me an idea on the quality of OU Children's Hospital? I always see the ads on how great it is, but do you have an insider's opinion. You can PM me so this thread doesn't go off topic.
    Continue the Renaissance!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Platemaker View Post
    As I understand it... the Procure facility is only Physician owned photon center ther is.

It's actually owned by Integris.

Quote Originally Posted by fromdust View Post
    we'll all have free medical soon. free, free, FREE!
    I'm not opposed to socialized medicine.

Quote Originally Posted by okcpulse View Post
    Patrick, off topic can you give me an idea on the quality of OU Children's Hospital? I always see the ads on how great it is, but do you have an insider's opinion. You can PM me so this thread doesn't go off topic.
    If you want more details I can PM you, but it's the only hospital in the city dedicated to just pediatric care, so obviously they're more specialized and knowledgeable when it comes to that. The facility is okay. No marble floors, but they did gutt most of the old University Hospital, so much of the furnishings are new.

It's actually owned by Integris.
    ProCure Secures Financing for Proton Therapy Cancer Treatment Center in Oklahoma City. | North America > United States from AllBusiness.com

"The project is the first of several planned by ProCure to build a network of standardized proton beam therapy centers across the United States. In addition, the Oklahoma ProCure Treatment Center will be the first private-practice, physician-owned center in the country. "

Thread Information