Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: February 2024 - General Weather Discussion

Weather February 2024 - General Weather Discussion

Beautiful weather continues heading toward the weekend, rain chances then come in Friday night. Should be out of here by Saturday lunch, though.

Looking ahead to next week, mild weather again with only about a 10 degree cool off from this week's highs.

Friday night rain:

Default Re: February 2024 - General Weather Discussion

I have been complaining but this has been one of the most glorious weeks of weather that I can remember, and I'm not just talking about January.

I call this California weather and today I got a little sunburn!

Looks like we might get a bit of the Pineapple Express. We need as much precipitation as we can get as we enter wildfire season.

4. Default Re: February 2024 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I have been complaining but this has been one of the most glorious weeks of weather that I can remember, and I'm not just talking about January.
    AMEN Brother!!!! This week has rocked! And the longest models don't have anything wintery nasty. Happy camper here!

5. Default Re: February 2024 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Looks like we might get a bit of the Pineapple Express. We need as much precipitation as we can get as we enter wildfire season.
    Us farmers/ranchers prefer to use the term "controlled burn" for those fires.

I have been saying this for a while. OKC always gets missed by like, 20 miles, with heavy, sustained rains that would help drastically lessen the upcoming wildfire season.

I have been saying this for a while. OKC always gets missed by like, 20 miles, with heavy, sustained rains that would help drastically lessen the upcoming wildfire season.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

70s in OKC with little to no wind - I would never consider moving away from here. Unfortunately this weather scenario is always the rare exceptions.

We are in Oklahoma's Fool's Spring!

Definitely. This is when everyone wants to buy patio furniture and plants for Spring. Then we will get slapped back into 20 degree weather for a week.

Here is the latest on rainfall moving in tonight:

The arc of thunderstorms currently located over NW Texas should lift NE and move across the Metro between roughly 11 p.m. and 1 a.m. this evening. Storms will be weakening as they approach OKC but there will possibly still be some small hail and gusty winds. The weekend will be fairly cool (relative to the last several days), cloudy, and windy as the upper level low stalls out just to our west. Possibly some wrap-around rain showers tomorrow and Sunday but better chances will be to our north and east. Ridge builds back in next week resulting in a return to sunny skies and temperatures reaching well into the 60's. Possibly another strong system moving through next weekend, details TBD but the pattern would once again appear to favor a thunderstorm threat as opposed to any winter weather.

Quote Originally Posted by bison34 View Post
    I see someone made a new account when the other one got banned lol

Cool start to the week with north winds but Tuesday-Friday should be nice with highs in the 60's. The wind returns Wednesday and especially Thursday. Next chance of rain is Saturday night into Sunday. Right now the storm is trending further south but will watch this week. Another storm system moves in later next week. No ice/snow on the horizon at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Cool start to the week with north winds but Tuesday-Friday should be nice with highs in the 60's. The wind returns Wednesday and especially Thursday. Next chance of rain is Saturday night into Sunday. Right now the storm is trending further south but will watch this week. Another storm system moves in later next week. No ice/snow on the horizon at this time.
    I hope there will no ice and snow for the rest of the month until Spring

Quote Originally Posted by Boop View Post
    I hope there will no ice and snow for the rest of the month until Spring
    There is still a chance for some wet snow wrapping around the low with the next storm on Super Bowl Sunday - higher likelihood in Kansas and maybe the Panhandle:

Certainly some interesting trends in the forecast models this morning with regards to Sunday’s system.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Certainly some interesting trends in the forecast models this morning with regards to Sunday’s system.
    If Mike Morgan said that, I'd laugh it off. You saying it, however...

Quote Originally Posted by LakeEffect View Post
    If Mike Morgan said that, I'd laugh it off. You saying it, however...
    Well, I’m also not saying that it’s going to be a repeat of the 2009 Christmas Eve Blizzard like Mike is LOL. But it certainly seems like the models are trending towards a stronger, more amplified solution, which would likely allow for more cold air to be pulled in, possibly leading to a changeover to snow and some light-to-moderate accumulations in OKC (higher impacts in NW Oklahoma/SW Kansas). Still four days away which means plenty of time for things to continue to flip-flop. But it’s at least on my radar, and certainly my initial inclination last Friday that it would be more of a thunderstorm threat than a winter weather threat will turn out to be incorrect.

Another thing I’ll add is, we at least won’t have several days of cold weather before this system which is what made the January 22nd ice storm such a mess on the roads. Could easily see an outcome where we get enough snow to cover grassy surfaces but little impact to road conditions.

^Agreed. We will likely have a classic 'it looks like rain' until 24 hours before the storm, when cold air comes in stronger and further than models predicted. But also since I just typed this out, it won't happen.

Here is some doomsday graphics for NW OK.

as always thank you both

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    ^Agreed. We will likely have a classic 'it looks like rain' until 24 hours before the storm, when cold air comes in stronger and further than models predicted. But also since I just typed this out, it won't happen.

Here is some doomsday graphics for NW OK.

That second graphic REALLY hates Woodward, in particular.

I love Oklahoma. They Hype Train is in full effect. Storm isn't even onshore, it's still 4 days away, and we are posting snowfall total maps already. LOVE IT. ALL-ABOARD THE HYPE TRAIN. Oh and if they are wrong we will get the we said it could change.

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    I love Oklahoma. They Hype Train is in full effect. Storm isn't even onshore, it's still 4 days away, and we are posting snowfall total maps already. LOVE IT. ALL-ABOARD THE HYPE TRAIN. Oh and if they are wrong we will get the we said it could change.
    On the contrary, those of us with common sense know that it can (and will probably) change and don't always take the hype at face value, so what does it matter? It's better to be weather aware just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by jompster View Post
    On the contrary, those of us with common sense know that it can (and will probably) change and don't always take the hype at face value, so what does it matter? It's better to be weather aware just in case.

Saying there can be a snow storm on Sunday is fine. Posting snow fall totals 4 days out only happens in Oklahoma. It's kind of stupid. No other tv market hypes like OKC does. Schools will start closing for Monday when there might be no reason too. I'm sure there are people that are cancelling plans already for Sunday. So it does matter. I have seen it happen before.

And we all know it's going to change and change a lot. So why either bother 4 days out to make snowfall maps?

https://x.com/NWSNorman/status/1755361662796960123?s=20 This really should be the only map that matters right now. The rest is click bait tv ratings.

Thread Information