Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma Earthquake Activity

Default Re: Oklahoma Earthquake Activity

dinna notice nuttin' down here in Norman. Checked the telly; Hawaii friends seem as though they'll all be okie dokie as well.

Y'all can keep the shakin'. I don't wants it.

Some details and graph at Oklahoma Earthquake Page

3. Default Re: Oklahoma Earthquake Activity

Didn't feel anything in Moore during the time.

4. Default Re: Oklahoma Earthquake Activity

Here is a map I've been keeping updated on Google. Gives an idea where all the quakes so far this year have been for the state.

Oklahoma Earthquakes 2010 - Google Maps

At 4.4, it's kinda worrisome they're still prone to increase in intensity.

While I didn't feel today's quake, I sure noticed it. I was fishing at Lake Hefner, enjoying the weather, I noticed a series of waves. I was wondering what it could be, it looked like the wake of a boat, but there wasn't a passing boat. I get home from fishing, and see that there was a quake, and I put the two together. It's pretty interesting to actually see the physics of an earthquake. It was a mini-tsunami, I guess..

Quote Originally Posted by jstanthrnme View Post
    While I didn't feel today's quake, I sure noticed it. I was fishing at Lake Hefner, enjoying the weather, I noticed a series of waves. I was wondering what it could be, it looked like the wake of a boat, but there wasn't a passing boat. I get home from fishing, and see that there was a quake, and I put the two together. It's pretty interesting to actually see the physics of an earthquake. It was a mini-tsunami, I guess..
    That's really interesting. Yeah I guess it was!

It looks like the Sparks 4.4 quake got downgraded to 4.1.

9. Default Re: Oklahoma Earthquake Activity

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    It looks like the Sparks 4.4 quake got downgraded to 4.1.
    They didn't want the quake to be known as the tied 2nd strongest quake in the state. It would cause panic and concern of what will happen next, especially with the recent mega quakes oversea.

The day is getting closer, we will have a 5.0+ in the state.

10. Default Re: Oklahoma Earthquake Activity

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    They didn't want the quake to be known as the tied 2nd strongest quake in the state. It would cause panic and concern of what will happen next, especially with the recent mega quakes oversea.

It is called being accurate. Look. I enjoy your enthusiasm that you bring to this thread and the weather thread, but it is time to pull back some. There comes a time to where posting inaccurate information for the sole purpose to get people worked up isn't very appropriate.

11. Default Re: Oklahoma Earthquake Activity

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    It is called being accurate. Look. I enjoy your enthusiasm that you bring to this thread and the weather thread, but it is time to pull back some. There comes a time to where posting inaccurate information for the sole purpose to get people worked up isn't very appropriate.
    Venture, I can express my opinion as I see fit. To me, that is what I believe is the reason they scaled it back. Tell me, did they have an equipment at the exact epic center? I'm interested to know how can they determine the scale and location? They had just brought in equipments for the Jones and surrounding areas. This one was further east.

12. Default Re: Oklahoma Earthquake Activity

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Venture, I can express my opinion as I see fit. To me, that is what I believe is the reason they scaled it back. Tell me, did they have an equipment at the exact epic center? I'm interested to know how can they determine the scale and location? They had just brought in equipments for the Jones and surrounding areas. This one was further east.
    I have nothing wrong with opinions being expressed, but when they make accusations of falsifying scientific data...then it becomes out of bounds. I don't think there has been many earthquakes in this world that have seismographs at the exactly epicenter of each one. The only exception would probably be volcano monitoring equipment. However, there are numerous recording devices out there now - far above on the map below that we already had:

13. Default Re: Oklahoma Earthquake Activity

Venture, share more. How are they able to scale it by .3 down?

14. Default Re: Oklahoma Earthquake Activity

Just like when they scaled down the May 3rd tornado--it was for accuracy, not for peace of mind.

Opinions are not always fact. Why you "think" they lowered the magnitude has nothing to do with why they really did it.
    Still corrupting young minds

15. Default Re: Oklahoma Earthquake Activity

I believe the Chile earthquake was first reported as an 8.2 or .3 and then later upped to an 8.8. I think the massive Indonesian quake a few years ago was first reported a little lower than it ended up being at 9.2. Thunder, revisions happen all the time.

Yeah I think you're right. I was really surprised to learn that it isn't the Richter scale that they use anymore... it's been superseded by the "moment magnitude scale." It uses the same format numbers and is also a logarithm, but I guess it's more about movement and force per centimeter. So if they're measuring to those levels of accuracy I'd imagine that the M-number does get refined as more detail is sought.

17. Default Re: Oklahoma Earthquake Activity

This isn't the only one. More to come.

== PRELIMINARY EARTHQUAKE REPORT ==

Region: OKLAHOMA
    Geographic coordinates: 35.549N, 97.282W
    Magnitude: 2.5 M
    Depth: 5 km
    Universal Time (UTC): 3 Mar 2010 04:35:17
    Time near the Epicenter: 2 Mar 2010 22:35:17
    Local standard time in your area: 3 Mar 2010 04:35:17

Location with respect to nearby cities:
    2 km (1 miles) SSE (155 degrees) of Jones, OK
    8 km (5 miles) N (350 degrees) of Choctaw, OK
    8 km (5 miles) NNE (33 degrees) of Nicoma Park, OK
    24 km (15 miles) ENE (72 degrees) of Oklahoma City, OK
    309 km (192 miles) N (352 degrees) of Dallas, TX

18. Default Re: Oklahoma Earthquake Activity

So is it safe to say that oil and gas drilling in Oklahoma is not shifting the earth's crust, making earthquakes, because if it was true, then the Middle East would be one heck of an earthquake zone after many years of drilling there?

20. Default Re: Oklahoma Earthquake Activity

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    So is it safe to say that oil and gas drilling in Oklahoma is not shifting the earth's crust, making earthquakes, because if it was true, then the Middle East would be one heck of an earthquake zone after many years of drilling there?
    That's not the reason here. They did find several series of faults in the area they have been happening. If you look at the Google map I put together, you can notice how many follow river beds. Probably not a coincidence since there are many cases of fault lines also having a river - depending on how deep the ground has shifted. Of course most of the ones that I know of are pretty old faults that have little to no activity anymore.

Now this doesn't mean that drilling doesn't cause earthquakes. Dallas a few years back was a perfect example. The way they were drilling and filling the cavities was causing numerous earthquakes.

21. Default Re: Oklahoma Earthquake Activity

Magnitude
    Date-Time
    Friday, March 05, 2010 at 20:35:13 UTC
    Friday, March 05, 2010 at 02:35:13 PM at epicenter
    Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones
    Depth
    5 km (3.1 miles) set by location program
    Region
    OKLAHOMA
    Distances
    3 km (2 miles) E (94°) from Sparks, OK
    11 km (7 miles) S (188°) from Davenport, OK
    15 km (9 miles) SE (139°) from Chandler, OK
    33 km (20 miles) NNE (25°) from Shawnee, OK
    69 km (43 miles) ENE (78°) from Oklahoma City, OK
    312 km (194 miles) N (0°) from Dallas, TX
    Location Uncertainty
    horizontal +/- 7.5 km (4.7 miles); depth fixed by location program
    Parameters
    NST= 10, Nph= 10, Dmin=71.1 km, Rmss=0.71 sec, Gp= 79°,
    M-type="Nuttli" surface wave magnitude (mbLg), Version=6

Welp I sure felt it down by McCloud
    I heard the sonic rumble, (yeah I know not accurate but cant describe it better)
    Just prior to feeling the shake. Just before the shake my chicken flock who I was watching actuall started running and flying...........intresting to watch and contemplate afterwards..............especially the one that landed on my shoulder, Like Im some big brother or something.....lol

The day is also getting farther away from the last time we had a 5.0.

???

24. Default Re: Oklahoma Earthquake Activity

If the fault has enough stress built up to cause a 5.0+...then let it get it done with. I'd rather have a couple 5.0s instead of a 6.0 or 7.0 occur on a fault line that lies in the Metro area. A metro area where, i'm guessing, the building codes are setup to ensure structures can resist such a tremor. Granted they do have to withstand our normal weather, so that may help. The only structure that immediately pops into mind though would probably be the Crosstown. However, it may take more than 5.0 or so to bring that down.

25. Default Re: Oklahoma Earthquake Activity

Magnitude
    Date-Time
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 at 06:04:35 UTC
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 at 12:04:35 AM at epicenter
    Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones
    Depth
    5 km (3.1 miles) set by location program
    Region
    OKLAHOMA
    Distances
    5 km (3 miles) E (86°) from Sparks, OK