Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video & Arcade games: what & where did you play back in the day?

Default Video & Arcade games: what & where did you play back in the day?

a place to chat about some video games you used to play at home, or arcades you used to frequent to shell out quarters at.

for arcades: i went to the ones in heritage and crossroads mall. The one at crossroads became notorious for attracting hoodrats in the years right before its demise.

In fact, about 6 or 7 yrs ago, some moron brought a gun to crossroads and fired it.,.i think it was a gang thing..it was right by the arcade.

Heritage Park had Aladdins right by one of the entrances to the mall..it was small, but the selection of games it did have was rather good, then when it closed, another one opened almost in the exact center of the mall...i think it was owned by a private single owner. it didnt last too long.

I grew up in the "bit" age..playing everything mostly from 8-bit up to the last string of consoles (Ps2, xbox, and gamecube)..i sorta hung up on buying new consoles anymore, cause IMHO they are getting too complex and are straying away from that simple element of addictive simple gameplay.

Default Re: Video & Arcade games: what & where did you play back in the day?

Zaxxon was my favorite, when the controller wasn't broken. We would go to the gameroom at 38th & MacArthur early and then head over to 39th around dark.

3. Default Re: Video & Arcade games: what & where did you play back in the day?

Tempest.

4. Default Re: Video & Arcade games: what & where did you play back in the day?

I had an Atari 2600 back in the 80's. Got pretty good at Q*Bert, Popeye & Frogger just to name a few.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCDrummer77 View Post
    I had an Atari 2600 back in the 80's. Got pretty good at Q*Bert, Popeye & Frogger just to name a few.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just to stay current with the younger guys of the nostalgia group....I'm 63 and have not played a game yet.....I used to play pinball machines in the 50's and
    shot a lot of pool and Snooker....

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just to stay current with the younger guys of the nostalgia group....I'm 63 and have not played a game yet.....I used to play pinball machines in the 50's and
    shot a lot of pool and Snooker....
    you should consider playing a wii, nintendo specifically targeted gamers of all ages when they developed the system, so its rather easy to play and quite addictive.

7. Default Re: Video & Arcade games: what & where did you play back in the day?

Oh man, me too. Yar's Revenge, Adventure......Golf was impossible. Remember the God-awful "sound effects" it had!?!?!?

The 2600 was amazing for its time though!

pitfall on the 2600, ftw. -M

9. Default Re: Video & Arcade games: what & where did you play back in the day?

Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post
    No way mmm! WAY too hard!

10. Default Re: Video & Arcade games: what & where did you play back in the day?

For arcade games, there were a couple of favorites. If anyone else here grew up in Enid during the 80's, you might remember the Electric Eagle Arcade. That was THE place to throw a birthday party in those days.

Also, there were several arcade games at the local skating rink. My elementary school held a skating party there once a month during the school year. I hated skating (well, sucked at it, actually), so I stayed in the snack bar with a pocket full of quarters.

For arcade games, there were a couple of favorites. If anyone else here grew up in Enid during the 80's, you might remember the Electric Eagle Arcade. That was THE place to throw a birthday party in those days.

Also, there were several arcade games at the local skating rink. My elementary school held a skating party there once a month during the school year. I hated skating (well, sucked at it, actually), so I stayed in the snack bar with a pocket full of quarters.
    Now day's you'd need the quarters for condoms..............

Brings back some wild images of time spent in Enid...........

Mostly pinball and pool, never grasped foosball worth nuthin, enjoyed air hockey. Arcade vids, well, it was a while back so we're talking the pong, asteroids, missle command era. Pinball and pool were far more enjoyable. Later when the Atari 2600 came around, it was interesting, but by then video games weren't of much interest to me, as I preferred my fun in the outdoors.

Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post
    Legend has it that there is actually an ending to Pitfall, not just the endless repetitive stages we are constantly entertained with.

The first time I EVER played Double Dragon was in 1988 in Enid, at the arcade in the mall.

The game still rules..over 20 years later.

(yeah, i know..im showing my age with that statement)

It would be fun if we had a nicklecade around somewhere...when I lived in Utah for a bit, the city I lived in had a nickelcade, it was full of all the old classic arcade games, it had everything, and it was all just a nickle per game.

pong..............

17. Default Re: Video & Arcade games: what & where did you play back in the day?

Quote Originally Posted by mireaux View Post
    Legend has it that there is actually an ending to Pitfall, not just the endless repetitive stages we are constantly entertained with.
    No way. Pitfall was impossible.

ha ha i forgot all about double dragon, isnt that the one that says rise from your graves?

Quote Originally Posted by Jesseda View Post
    ha ha i forgot all about double dragon, isnt that the one that says rise from your graves?
    No, that was Altered Beast, and the correct quote is "Wise fwom your gwave."

Missile Command
    Asteroids 1 and 2
    Tempest
    Robotron
    Defender 1 and 2
    Pinball machines of all makes, but especially Firepower!
    Gravitron
    Joust
    Space Invaders

Quote Originally Posted by Jesseda View Post
    uh no...."rise from your grave" is the intro to 1989's Altered Beast, a game that was packaged with the Sega Genesis before 1991 brought along Sonic the Hedgehog.

Double Dragon debuted in 1988 and was a prodigy from arcade manufacturer TradeWest, and was ported to home consoles, it was a side-scroller beat-em-up action game.

two totally different games

22. Default Re: Video & Arcade games: what & where did you play back in the day?

Altered Beast FTW!

Final Fantasy on Nintendo was a big one for me.

How about this gem:

Bionic Commando, also.

just wanted to say that the best Mortal Kombat to this day is still: Mortal Kombat 3-Ultimate.

dont care too much for all the 3-D perspective games like: Deadly Alliance, Deception, etc.

Baraka and the scene with the laughing trees in the forest is what made MK2 so cool, but MK3U still rules.

My fave characters are: Scorpion, Cyrax, Sektor, Rain, Smoke, Kitana, and the guy whose name is escaping my mind but could run right passed you and make you spin really fast and had hooks for arms..

the worst fatalities were the ones with the least amount of gore: Babality, and Friendship..such utter humiliation youd wish you were dead.

24. Default Re: Video & Arcade games: what & where did you play back in the day?

Kabal!!!!

anyone else watch vids from this guy...he is hilarious

Thread Information