Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cumulus Media is on the brink of a total collapse.

1. Default Cumulus Media is on the brink of a total collapse.

Oklahoma City
    KATT-FM/100.5: Album-oriented rock
    KKWD/104.9: Rhythmic Top 40
    KWPN/640: Sports talk
    KYIS/98.9: Adult contemporary
    WKY/930: Spanish
    WWLS-FM/98.1: Sports talk

http://nypost.com/2017/06/11/cumulus...otal-collapse/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._Cumulus_Media

Default Re: Cumulus Media is on the brink of a total collapse.

"Meanwhile, current CEO Mary Berner keeps receiving bonus payments, which are now being paid on a quarterly basis instead of the typical end-of-year cycle, perhaps learned from her bankruptcy with Reader’s Digest."

Nice. Makes sure she gets hers while everything around her is in flames. With that kind of attitude/experience, I expect to see her name on the next ballot for Governor.

Cumulus is one of the worst-run broadcasting companies in the country. Jan Jefferies, the previous CEO, ran it into the ground by buying out Citadel Communications, which once had great stations and syndicating them across all markets. The current CEO, Mary Berner, has attempted to turn things around by more market-oriented programming and local staff but it looks like too little might be too late. Terrestrial radio these days is being taken over by streaming and satellite. Like brick-and-mortar retailers, FM radio needs to consider how it's going to compete with the alternatives. I think there is still a place for terrestrial radio. After all, it's free and is available almost anywhere. However, the garbage that companies like Cumulus try to impose on their markets isn't going to cut it.

The only FM station that gets any play in my car is the local public broadcasting station. If they are playing music it’s streaming for me.

5. Default Re: Cumulus Media is on the brink of a total collapse.

About a year ago we just started streaming Amazon music in our cars as soon as we start them up. I balance that with some NPR when I'm in the mood to be depressed.

Once a month I get that "why am I listening to NPR, I'm still young, I'm still hip" feeling and turn the dial to any of the local stations. After a couple minutes of music I don't know, don't like, stupid DJs, and lots of commercials I think "now I remember why...".

Aside from crappy programming on music radio stations, the music of my youth is on the "oldies" and "retro" stations. 80s and 90s aren't "oldies" or "retro". I'm still hip, I'm still with it!

7. Default Re: Cumulus Media is on the brink of a total collapse.

In the words of one of their on-air talents, "See yuh."

I listen to terrestrial radio when I travel. In OKC though it's mostly streaming radio or my MP3s. If you don't want to listen to 80s hair metal, bro country, sports talk, or religious programming, there really isn't much on the radio here. I really miss having satellite radio as it's great for people who like to discover new music but aren't satisfied with the local offerings. There is actually a lot of good new music out there right now. You just won't hear it on KJ-103.

When I was younger, I was of course a KJ listener. Then one day it finally hit me...Top 40 means they only have 40 songs.

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    When I was younger, I was of course a KJ listener. Then one day it finally hit me...Top 40 means they only have 40 songs.
    I was a KJ listener as a teenager and listened for a few years after I moved back. Something changed around 2014 or 2015 and it's hard to listen to today, though I can't quite put my finger on what. KJ 103's formula has always been that they try to be "hip" enough for teenagers yet conservative enough for parents. For Top 40 stations, KKWD Wild 104.9 and even 98.9 Kiss FM are quite a bit better in my opinion.

This is a very weird way to describe it, but I would describe them as:

Kiss: "white" Top 40
    Wild: "black" Top 40
    KJ: "white kids trying way to hard to be black" Top 40

I know it's all corporate commercially produced programming, but KJ feels like the least "authentic" station we have.

Personally, I listen to a lot of terrestrial radio, in addition to streaming music. Can't stand satellite radio because the audio sounds really compressed, like I'm streaming something through RealPlayer over a dialup connection. Definitely, growing up, KJ103 was one of my favorites, but I don't really like listening to it today. My absolute favorite station in our market was 94.7 The BUZZ - while it was still on the air, anyway. Today, my listening time is mostly split between 92.9 The Edge, NPR, and streaming EDM podcasts.

While I am not overly fond of their tendency to mix classic and active rock playlists, I seriously hope that Cumulus's implosion doesn't affect the KATT. That station is an OKC institution and I'd hate to see them disappear.

13. Default Re: Cumulus Media is on the brink of a total collapse.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    Personally, I listen to a lot of terrestrial radio, in addition to streaming music. Can't stand satellite radio because the audio sounds really compressed, like I'm streaming something through RealPlayer over a dialup connection. Definitely, growing up, KJ103 was one of my favorites, but I don't really like listening to it today. My absolute favorite station in our market was 94.7 The BUZZ - while it was still on the air, anyway. Today, my listening time is mostly split between 92.9 The Edge, NPR, and streaming EDM podcasts.

While I am not overly fond of their tendency to mix classic and active rock playlists, I seriously hope that Cumulus's implosion doesn't affect the KATT. That station is an OKC institution and I'd hate to see them disappear.
    I learned the other day Sirius streams at like 32kbps and you have to pay to get 128kbps. That is worse than regular FM?!

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    This is a very weird way to describe it, but I would describe them as:

Kiss: "white" Top 40
    Wild: "black" Top 40
    KJ: "white kids trying way to hard to be black" Top 40

I know it's all corporate commercially produced programming, but KJ feels like the least "authentic" station we have.
    Great description here. I definitely think something changed on KJ a couple of years ago because it didn't used to be this bad. I am also certain it isn't the fact that I've aged out of Top 40 because I still enjoy listening to Top 40 stations in other markets and can also listen to Wild and Kiss. There is just something about KJ today and I really don't see how anybody older than high school age could like it.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    I learned the other day Sirius streams at like 32kbps and you have to pay to get 128kbps. That is worse than regular FM?!
    I haven't had satellite radio since early 2014 so that must be a recent change. It used to be full CD quality (128kbps).

15. Default Re: Cumulus Media is on the brink of a total collapse.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Great description here. I definitely think something changed on KJ a couple of years ago because it didn't used to be this bad. I am also certain it isn't the fact that I've aged out of Top 40 because I still enjoy listening to Top 40 stations in other markets and can also listen to Wild and Kiss. There is just something about KJ today and I really don't see how anybody older than high school age could like it.

I haven't had satellite radio since early 2014 so that must be a recent change. It used to be full CD quality (128kbps).
    So I just learned this. If you have an "XM" radio (8 digit ESN code) the radio is noticeably better quality. If you have a Sirius radio (12 digit ESN) you get the crappy 32kbps quality. Crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post

I can't believe KATT is even still on the air. A guy at our shop was listening to it in his work area recently. It's definitely not rock anymore. More like amplified noise. But, I have to give Rick and Brad credit though. Still doing the same old morning shows from their Hoverounds.

Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    I can't believe KATT is even still on the air. A guy at our shop was listening to it in his work area recently. It's definitely not rock anymore. More like amplified noise. But, I have to give Rick and Brad credit though. Still doing the same old morning shows from their Hoverounds.
    I haven't listened to KATT since the late 90s/early 00s when nu-metal was popular. It was pretty good back then. Today, it seems like it has more of a classic rock lean.

18. Default Re: Cumulus Media is on the brink of a total collapse.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I haven't listened to KATT since the late 90s/early 00s when nu-metal was popular. It was pretty good back then. Today, it seems like it has more of a classic rock lean.
    Yeah... I hadn't listened for about 15 years until recently when my CD player quit working... Turned it on and they were still pretty much playing the same songs I heard 15 years ago.

Maybe the stations will end up getting split up to several different smaller owners. Today we have too few entities owning too much media.

The radio people love and remember from when they were growing up was because each station was individual with their own personality and they were local. They knew their market because they lived in the market too. When big media conglomerates bought up all the stations, everything became homogenized and not nearly as local. You can go to a different state and their stations are gonna sound pretty much like stations in your home town because they're owned by the same company and get their marching orders from corporate.

When I'm in my car, I listen to KREF or listen to the tons of music on my phone or stream Amazon since I'm a prime member.

20. Default Re: Cumulus Media is on the brink of a total collapse.

The only station I would miss would be the Animal and only at certain times of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    The only station I would miss would be the Animal and only at certain times of the day.
    When the Franchise came on line they wanted so badly to compete with the animal. I can't believe that they totally missed their opportunity. If they had just pilfered the personalities on KREF 1400, they could've easily beaten the animal. They should've gotten Toby and TJ in the morning and Dusty and Teddy in the afternoon. Not change their shows or anything, just tell them to do the same show they had done on KREF but now with a stronger signal. And then just have someone serviceable in the midday as it doesn't really matter because most of your listeners are going to come from morning and afternoon drive time.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    It's at least good enough for Howard Stern and other talk radio.

If you have the ways and means to get satellite radio in your car, it really can be cheap. I've been subscribing for years and pay $5/month. I have to call every 5-6 months and spend about 5-10 minutes on the phone getting the promotional deal, but it's totally worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by OkieHornet View Post
    If you have the ways and means to get satellite radio in your car, it really can be cheap
    At 32Kbps it sounds cheap.

25. Default Re: Cumulus Media is on the brink of a total collapse.

Quote Originally Posted by OkieHornet View Post
    If you have the ways and means to get satellite radio in your car, it really can be cheap. I've been subscribing for years and pay $5/month. I have to call every 5-6 months and spend about 5-10 minutes on the phone getting the promotional deal, but it's totally worth it.
    I have a friend who calls every month and pays $1.

I hate to say I pay 5 bucks for streaming music a month and there is no way I would waste my time talking on the phone every month just for a deal, but hey some do.

Thread Information