Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Oklahoma City News TV personalities: past & present.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Oklahoma City News TV personalities: past & present.

Quote Originally Posted by unfundedrick View Post
    KFOR seems to have someone new at least once a week.
    Highly stressful industry to be in where your competing against anyone with twitter, tiktok, etc account.

^^^Agree

Former KOCO 5 Anchor Tyler Suiters passed away this week after a lengthy battle with ALS
    https://www.tributearchive.com/obitu...H3x71p3x0XdifM

Recent shuffle of staff at KWTV has apparently led to the elimination of their daily 4AM newscast, and the departure of meteorologist Hannah Scholl.

She was expecting her second child so wonder if she might be having some pregnancy difficulties.

Yeah, I miss the 4 a.m. cast. Cannot figure out why they are shoehorning Coby Thielen in with the others at 5. Too crowded.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Recent shuffle of staff at KWTV has apparently led to the elimination of their daily 4AM newscast, and the departure of meteorologist Hannah Scholl.
    The 4am and 5am are nothing but 10pm leftovers with a slice of whatever happened since 10pm and a side of whatever the weather is doing at the moment.

Do we really need “news” @ 4, 5, 6, 8, 10, 12, 4, 6, and 10? It just seems absurd. If it wasn’t for weather, I’m not sure I’d ever watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by The View Post
    Do we really need “news” @ 4, 5, 6, 8, 10, 12, 4, 6, and 10? It just seems absurd. If it wasn’t for weather, I’m not sure I’d ever watch it.
    Different people have different schedules. If people were not watching all those times, the programming would change.

Quote Originally Posted by The View Post
    It's 2024. There seems to be very little syndication left for daytime television, gone are the days of shows like Oprah, Ellen, and even most soap operas, and scripted sitcoms and drama shows can simply go to streaming where you can binge on your own schedule.

Local news is there because in the grand scheme of things it is cheap to produce, and can get local advertising. Local news isn't really giving you a new show in the morning, it's the same 15 minute newscast on repeat as different populations wake up.

What's scary is that in the near future, NBC, CBS, ABC, may see little need for the affiliates and push any shows that they produce straight to their respected streaming platforms. Most markets outside of OKC, don't absorb local news, sports, and weather to the degree that this TV market does.

Duplicate.

It's been a few years, but does anyone know why Aaron Tuttle is not on local news any longer? I've seen some of his weather coverage on FB and he likes to throw some jabs at local coverage from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Martin View Post
    It's been a few years, but does anyone know why Aaron Tuttle is not on local news any longer? I've seen some of his weather coverage on FB and he likes to throw some jabs at local coverage from time to time.
    I thought it was because he didn't agree with station management to hype the weather.

Agree with all said upthread. Local Over The Air TV is looking like it is facing many of the same type challenges that print and terrestrial radio have faced from the internet the last 20-25 years.

Local news has been looked at as one of the few things that can bring eyeballs on a budget. Channel 9, having local ownership, might be a bit more cost conscious, and that might have something to do with them giving up on early times for news more quickly than 4 or 5, which are owned by conglomerates.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    Agree with all said upthread. Local Over The Air TV is looking like it is facing many of the same type challenges that print and terrestrial radio have faced from the internet the last 20-25 years.

Local news has been looked at as one of the few things that can bring eyeballs on a budget. Channel 9, having local ownership, might be a bit more cost conscious, and that might have something to do with them giving up on early times for news more quickly than 4 or 5, which are owned by conglomerates.
    I think over the air TV transmission is going to be regarded as too costly, too inefficient and just to obsolete to continue with much longer. The high-powered transmitters may run over 500,000 watts. The power bill every month to run them must be HUGE! Paying rent for the land towers sit on is an additional expense but is probably a good tax write off.

Then people complain about poor reception. If you live in a metal sided building, you won't have any. If not but live over 50 or 60+ miles away from the transmitters, one has to resort to the expense of an outdoor antenna. The new ATSC 3.0 system will improve reception somewhat, but it won't make much difference. It will still be attractive for stations to abandon their costly transmitters and totally get online for streaming. Savings from doing that would hopefully be used to help pay for better local programming.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    . It will still be attractive for stations to abandon their costly transmitters and totally get online for streaming. Savings from doing that would hopefully be used to help pay for better local programming.
    You are not wrong in regards to the operating costs. I still consume local TV on Over the Air rabbit ears. It's free and quick. Much like FM Radio in the car. I know I can get it via streaming or an App, but for a quick weather hit or literally coming home and hitting a button to quickly get information on my flatscreen TV.

However, with home internet access pushing 95%, I think you are right with local stations essentially turning to streaming exclusively in the future, and advertisers will love all the metrics that come with it.

Thread Information