Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma City News TV personalities: past & present.

Default Re: Oklahoma City News TV personalities: past & present.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Cameron, I may remember the cable auction, but I'm not sure if its the same one. There was many different items on tv and remember calling in (maybe something about bids?) on some things. We picked them up at a big building on the east side of I-35.

Does anyone remember the black lady at KFOR killed in a wreck after the 10pm newscast? She was on her way home. I can't remember her name.
    You're thinking about Lee Evans who died in an automobile wreck in 1997.

2. Default Re: Oklahoma City News TV personalities: past & present.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Thank you. I did a search and was relieved to find out that Lee was only her nickname.

Lisa Carol "Lee" Evans

I do not even remember that name one bit, but I remember the pretty black lady. It happened when brother and I was in Checotah (two weeks in Summer) with dad (and his parents).

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...h&GRid=9079446

3. Default Re: Oklahoma City News TV personalities: past & present.

Just notice Scott Padgett this morning on GMA. He is the former chief met from KOKH (Fox 25). He now does the morning weather in Miami, as well as apparently filling in on GMA during the weekend. He's apparently not doing too bad since getting out of the OKC market.

Quote Originally Posted by cameron_405 View Post
    ...not sure if this belongs in this thread. Anyone remember 'cable auction'? I did an on-air gig for a couple of weeks (all it took -- haha). Do I qualify as a past personality? {;+Þ
    Hahahah, my cousin also did quite a few shows, lasted a couple of months I think.

Anyone remember a Bill Allen that used to be on Ch 5? he used to come and watch his kids at wrestling tournaments and would sometimes show footage from there on his telecast.

I've mentioned this on one of the threads in the nostalgia area but some of you may remember "Ida B" from KOCO back in the late 50s thru 70's (various incarnations) of "The Ida B Show." She did celebrity interviews, a cooking segment, and lots of local interest topics. About 10yrs ago she was the spokesperson for Nu-Sound hearing aids (not to be confused by Waiva lol).

Quote Originally Posted by MsDarkstar View Post
    I've mentioned this on one of the threads in the nostalgia area but some of you may remember "Ida B" from KOCO back in the late 50s thru 70's (various incarnations) of "The Ida B Show." She did celebrity interviews, a cooking segment, and lots of local interest topics. About 10yrs ago she was the spokesperson for Nu-Sound hearing aids (not to be confused by Waiva lol).
    Yes. Her real name is Ida Blackburn. I don't know if this has been mentioned before in this thead and I not going to go back through all of the posts to find out, but how many remember Lola Hall? She was the Channel 9 "Weather Girl" in the middle 50s and was a pioneer for women in local broadcasting. She also worked for other local stations.

Yes. Her real name is Ida Blackburn. I don't know if this has been mentioned before in this thead and I not going to go back through all of the posts to find out, but how many remember Lola Hall? She was the Channel 9 "Weather Girl" in the middle 50s and was a pioneer for women in local broadcasting. She also worked for other local stations.
    I remember Lola. I didn't get to work with her when she was a weather girl. I came along when she was doing movie reviews. She once gave a buddy and me a couple of passes to a showing of a new movie that she didn't think she'd care for. The movie was "Animal House". LOL Also, for what it's worth, Ida B's son, Dr. Bob Blackburn, is the Executive Director of the Oklahoma Historical Society.

Yes that was Lee Evans....she was also on a local am station before moving on to KFOR. The wreck happened around nw 36th and walker and i believe a drunk driver was involved. Not sure what happened to the drunk driver.
    Very tragic.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwise View Post
    I remember the stunt airplane one, the other i have no clue then again i was out of pocket for 2 yrs in cali.
    There was a friend of my sister's that was killed in a helicopter crash and I think she worked for KTOK. Her name was Tricia Lundeen.

I remember him. I used to laugh all the time because he would laugh at the Jax Beer commercials. It was almost impossible for him to keep a straight face after those commercials.

The one in the helicopter was Cathy Jones, Ch. 4. The other one was in a car accident, also on Ch. 4, but I can't recall her name.

Quote Originally Posted by rondvu View Post
    If my memory serves me right was there two female news casters that were killed a short time apart. One being killed in a helicopter and another on NW 36th and Walker?

Quote Originally Posted by gammimc View Post
    The one in the helicopter was Cathy Jones, Ch. 4. The other one was in a car accident, also on Ch. 4, but I can't recall her name.
    Lee Evans, the info is above.

Cathy Jones was not in a helicopter; it was an aerobatic plane doing a simulated dogfight, as a promotion prior to an Air America show.

Was that the crash at or near the Cimarron River, maybe near Dover?

Yes it was. As I recall, the plane went into the river bank after failing to completely pull out of a dive...

Speaking of Bob Thomas (Prunepicker), he still turns up in old, old footage of weather reports where they wrote on the map with chalk. What innovative times, indeed.

Also on Channel 4, Jim Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    Rick Tasetano was the weatherman at KTOK for years.
    So was Gene Collett. Gene preceded Rick as KTOK meteorologist. Both were former military meteorologists. I worked with both of them. Both were fine gentlemen.

Well, I'm chuckling over Mike Morgan and his references to hail as, not golfball size, quarter size, baseball size, etc. No, he's simply saying "golfballs", "quarters", "baseballs", etc. He was doing this Sunday night and again tonight.

Not a problem for me, but you gotta wonder about people traveling through the state and hearing him on the radio for the first time.

You go, Mike!

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Mitch Jelniker (sp?) was an anchor on channel 9, I think. He married another anchor on the station. He now is in Denver still doing the news.
    KMGH Channel 7 in Denver.

20. Default Re: Oklahoma City News TV personalities: past & present.

Dan Threlkeld is now the Chief Meteorologist at KTUL Channel 8 in Tulsa. I have the NewsOn app on my ROKU and was curious about the news in Tulsa. I streamed the 10 pm newscast & was startled to learn that Dan is back in the television weather business. Congrats to him. Here's channel 8's link:
    https://ktul.com/station/people/dan-threlkeld

Dan Threlkeld is no stranger to Tulsa. He's a native Oklahoman with decades of experience forecasting the quirky and sometimes deadly weather patterns in our state. He's also a veteran Channel 8 watcher, dating back to his days as a kid watching our legendary first chief meteorologist, the late Don Woods.

"Don Woods was and still is my hero," said Threlkeld. "There will never again be anyone quite like him."

While Dan is all about state-of-the-art science and technology, he's looking forward to adding a new chapter to KTUL's legacy as a premier weather station. When he left the TV business a few years ago to become director of Health Care Marketing at OSU's Center for Health Sciences, Dan carried part of that "8's the Place" legacy with him -- a full-color "Gusty," drawn especially for him by Don Woods. It hangs on Dan's office wall today.

Dan worked briefly with meteorologists Clint Boone and Molly McCollum during the height of this year's storm system. Clint and Molly put in countless hours during the worst of storm season, and they are a big part of why Dan has chosen to join Tulsa's Channel 8.

"I'm so excited about working with Clint and Molly," said Threlkeld. "They're great weather professionals. Very deep in their knowledge while also being great communicators. And both are just great people."

Please help us welcome Dan back to TVs across Green Country!

Except that the crash that killed Cathy was not a helicopter; it was a conventional plane, participating in a mock dogfight as promotion for an upcoming air show. Turned out later that the pilot, who also died, was not qualified or licensed to do such things, and his firm had no connection to the air show. A tragic situation all around!

Speaking of Mike Morgan. Always amused by his predicting something (as an example) for
    "9:00 AM tomorrow morning." Rather redundant. To be fair, almost all the weather folks do this but Morgan is king.

I remember that well. The tv station kept running and running the video over and over again of the place crash. It was a very sad thing to see.

KFOR just announced that former News 9 Pilot Mason Dunn has joined the team.

Lance West land somewhere else? He still around in Oklahoma. Used to see him at Thunder games not sure if they were his tickets or the stations but haven't seen him there this year.

Thread Information