Widgets Magazine

Thread: Finally, I'm a Yukon Resident!

Default Finally, I'm a Yukon Resident!

Moved me and my two kids to Surrey Hills over the past 2 weeks, and we're finally settled in. I'll have to say it's a big improvement over where we used to live (23rd and nw Portland in OKC). We live on a green belt, and are just amazed by the neighborhood, the people and the "neighborhood in the country". (what my kids call it).

Any other Surrey hills folks here?

Peace,
    Dave

Default Re: Finally, I'm a Yukon Resident!

Congratulations!! You should like it up there. Will the kids have to change schools or are they in private? I'm happy for you. The kids have all summer to make new friends.

Welcome! We've been living in Surrey for almost two years. My folks have lived out here since 1974, and my brother and his family have been out here for several years as well.

Kids will go to Yukon public schools. My daughter will go to surrey hills elementary and my son will go to IMS.

Thanks for the welcom BB37! Maybe I'll see you in the neighborhood someday.

I can say this, as I sat on my porch last nite, sipping a glass of red, and puffing on cigar, I watched a toad hop across my yard, and could hear only the sound of peaceful comings and goings of neighbors. No sirens, or helicopters, or loud stereos, or 80mph motorcycles or gunshots..... I hope it stays that way!

Welcome Daveskater. Been living in Surrey Hills since 1999. BB37 is my brother. We moved out there in 1974. We moved there from 23rd & Villa area. We were on 24th just west of Villa. Were there from 1961 till we moved to Surrey. Went to Yukon from 9th through 12th. Moved away after college and when my wife and I moved the family back to OKC in 99 we wanted to be in Surrey. We are in our second house in Surrey. I love it out there. Live on the greenbelt/creek in HOA #1 down by the pool. My two youngest went to Yukon schools. My middle child went from 7th through 12th, and my youngest started Surrey Elementary in 3rd grade. She loved Surrey Elementary. It has to be one of the best elementary schools in the OKC metro area. We love it there. Both went to IMS. Another great school. And my younest will be a Senior this next year at YHS.

Anyway, welcome to the neighborhood. It is a great place to raise a family. It's like a small town in and of itself.

MadMonk Guest

That's a nice area. I don't live too far away from there. I have a couple friends that live there too. Congrats on the new place and welcome to the OMGURBANSPRAWL!!! area.

Thanks Monk, and Yukong. We live on the greenbelt just around bend in the stream by the playground equipment.

8. Default Re: Finally, I'm a Yukon Resident!

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSkater View Post
    No sirens, or helicopters, or loud stereos, or 80mph motorcycles or gunshots..... I hope it stays that way!
    Are you saying you heard a lot of gunshots at 23rd & Portland? I just moved into this area!

I haven't lived in the area for nine years but it used to be pretty rough.

Check out the crime stats. You put in the address and hit "go." http://newsok.com/crimewatch

Quote Originally Posted by OKCDrummer77 View Post
    Are you saying you heard a lot of gunshots at 23rd & Portland? I just moved into this area!

Sadly, yes. Often. I lived there for 16 years, and when I moved in it was quiet, and nice. I knew most of my neighbors, and my Grandmother lived just around the corner. My Mother grew up in that neighborhood.

In the past 5 years, and especially the last year, the place has turned into gangland central. Get a big dog, don't park your car in the street, get an alarm and carry a gun.

How are you liking the new house, Dave?

Nothing like an outdated answer, but we're LOVING IT!

Way out past the city lights, you can see so many stars in the night sky. I bought my son a HUGE telescope and we've just been having a ball with it.

Couldn't ask for a better neighborhood. My kids have even made some friends just down the street!

I'm so happy for you, Dave. Good deal.

15. Default Re: Finally, I'm a Yukon Resident!

Quote Originally Posted by PennyQuilts View Post
    Check out the crime stats. You put in the address and hit "go." NewsOK
    apperantly my next door neighbors got their car stolen 2 1/2 years ago thats odd I knew nothing about it

Nothing like an outdated answer, but we're LOVING IT!

Way out past the city lights, you can see so many stars in the night sky. I bought my son a HUGE telescope and we've just been having a ball with it.
    The nights used to be a LOT darker. When my folks moved to Surrey in 1974 (I was in college at the time, still living at home), there was no commercial development on NW Highway past about Brookside/Wilshire, and nothing at all past the cemetary just east of County Line. You could see just a faint glow to the east, and the night sky back then was filled with stars. We had moved from NW 24th and Villa, just across the street from Shepherd Mall, so the night skies in Surrey back then were really impressive.

Today, you've got commercial development with lots of light-intensive properties (car lots and Walmart) all the way to County Line, and commercial development starting to creep past the Turnpike at Morgan Road. That 'faint glow to the east' is now a blaze of light, with light now visible from Yukon, Mustang and El Reno to the south and southwest.

The nights are still darker than in the city proper, but they used to be much darker. Whether that's better or worse is in the eye of the beholder, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by LIL_WAYNE_2012_PREZIDENT View Post
    apperantly my next door neighbors got their car stolen 2 1/2 years ago thats odd I knew nothing about it
    Very odd...

MadMonk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BB37 View Post
    The nights used to be a LOT darker. When my folks moved to Surrey in 1974 (I was in college at the time, still living at home), there was no commercial development on NW Highway past about Brookside/Wilshire, and nothing at all past the cemetary just east of County Line. You could see just a faint glow to the east, and the night sky back then was filled with stars.

The nights are still darker than in the city proper, but they used to be much darker. Whether that's better or worse is in the eye of the beholder, I guess.
    I moved into the area in '95 from around 63rd & MacArthur and immediately noticed the difference in the number of visible stars. Like you said, the number has dwindled back down again. You have to drive out a ways toward Kingfisher to get the same experience.

Well, the 8" dobsonian XT8 telescope sure dials the sights in from our front porch. We're looking forward to taking it out to our farm, which is WAY out in the sticks.

We've currently got our sights set on spring. We got one of those electric vehicles and look forward to cruising the neighborhood in it. 4 seater. Aughta make the trips to the pool and golf course a lot funner.

Well, the 8" dobsonian XT8 telescope sure dials the sights in from our front porch. We're looking forward to taking it out to our farm, which is WAY out in the sticks.

We've currently got our sights set on spring. We got one of those electric vehicles and look forward to cruising the neighborhood in it. 4 seater. Aughta make the trips to the pool and golf course a lot funner.
    A few folks still tool around the neighborhood in golf carts in warm weather, so you'll be right at home.

It's got some killer tunes, and is street legal!

We're ready for summer now.

Thread Information