Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: KATT memories

Default Re: KATT memories

Quote Originally Posted by Jethrol View Post
    I still love the KATT and I listen to Rick and Brad all the time while driving to work. They're still awesome, funny and relevant. Quite an accomplishment for guys that have been around as long as they have.
    Whenever I hear Brick and *** I have these horrible visions of Hee Haw

What were the call letters for the "FreshAir" channel?

3. Default Re: KATT memories

Quote Originally Posted by gen70 View Post
    What were the call letters for the "FreshAir" channel?
    104.1 FM "Fresh Air" KOFM. This was the last incarnation of KOFM before it went to personality Adult Contemporary. It then went Top-40 from 1978 till around 1983, then remade itself with less personality, but hard AC, as Star 104. Then to satellite programming. Things really changed in '89/'90 with the call letter change to KMGL, back to live personalities, and the still uber-successful "magic" AC format as "Magic 104, KMGL."

Quote Originally Posted by MikeOKC View Post
    104.1 FM "Fresh Air" KOFM. This was the last incarnation of KOFM before it went to personality Adult Contemporary. It then went Top-40 from 1978 till around 1983, then remade itself with less personality, but hard AC, as Star 104. Then to satellite programming. Things really changed in '89/'90 with the call letter change to KMGL, back to live personalities, and the still uber-successful "magic" AC format as "Magic 104, KMGL."
    Thanks, Mike.. I think I first started listening to KOFM in 1968. Do you know when they first started their broadcast?

They do have some "live personalities" somewhere, most of the programming is satellite feed there as well. I hear the same shows down here on our "Magic" station as well. I am a fan of "local radio" on terrestrial and not the homogenization of AM or FM. I have Sirius for various reasons but mainly I had pretty much quit listening to terrestrial radio years before XM or Sirius came into being. To me if I am going to listen to national broadcasters I might as well not have to jump around the dial when traveling like I did when I was commuting to Dallas weekly, that was what pushed me to get Sirius and I can listen to OU games on it.

About the only thing that I remember about 104 was Lester "Boogie Man" Michaels.

6. Default Re: KATT memories

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    They do have some "live personalities" somewhere, most of the programming is satellite feed there as well. I hear the same shows down here on our "Magic" station as well. I am a fan of "local radio" on terrestrial and not the homogenization of AM or FM. I have Sirius for various reasons but mainly I had pretty much quit listening to terrestrial radio years before XM or Sirius came into being. To me if I am going to listen to national broadcasters I might as well not have to jump around the dial when traveling like I did when I was commuting to Dallas weekly, that was what pushed me to get Sirius and I can listen to OU games on it.

About the only thing that I remember about 104 was Lester "Boogie Man" Michaels.
    The only syndication on Magic 104 is Delilah at night; it's otherwise all live or, at least, tracked by local personalities. One amazing thing about Magic 104 is the same morning show since 1990. 20 years is a long time for a show on AC radio.

Oh, yes...Les Michaels. I think he is in Lawton now.

Yes, I hear you about XM/Sirius... I no longer have it, but I mostly listen to my MP3 player in the car. The music I want, audiobooks, podcasts. I do miss some of the news/talk and sports on satellite.

The only syndication on Magic 104 is Delilah at night; it's otherwise all live or, at least, tracked by local personalities. One amazing thing about Magic 104 is the same morning show since 1990. 20 years is a long time for a show on AC radio.
    Maybe the Austin station has more of the national feed stuff than the OKC version.

Yes, I hear you about XM/Sirius... I no longer have it, but I mostly listen to my MP3 player in the car. The music I want, audiobooks, podcasts. I do miss some of the news/talk and sports on satellite.
    I have a 160gb iPod with about 80gb of music on it, I actually use it in the car now that I have an iPod interface for the factory BMW stereo. My F150 was just a couple of years too old to have that ability.

My former husband and I used to get the KATT calender every year but finally stopped being able to around 2002 or so. He gave me the collection after it survived the tornadoes in Little Axe back in May which wiped out his home. I am wondering if someone could either help me find the years I don't have or would have any interest in buying the ones I do have??? Thanks!!

I know this guy was not on the KATT , but he was on 103.0 back when I was in high school and he sounded like wolfman jack. He went by Lester "boogie" Michaels. Anyone heard of him or where he is now?

The KATT was the station to listen to when I was in high school, though 96X was a close contender (I graduated from PC Original in '77).

I remember the 100 cent concerts, and then the 96 cent ones that 96X countered with. I saw Meat Loaf and Crawler in about '78 (Meat Loaf's first tour) for which I believe the tickets were a buck.

I had a friend who was a KATT dj back in 78,79 or 80. Her name is Barbara. Does anyone remember her? I've lost track of her.

I love hearing local bands that I know play on the KATT.
    Still Breathing being one of those bands.

It's always great that the KATT gives these musicians a chance to shine

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix59 View Post
    The KATT was the station to listen to when I was in high school, though 96X was a close contender (I graduated from PC Original in '77).

I remember the 100 cent concerts, and then the 96 cent ones that 96X countered with. I saw Meat Loaf and Crawler in about '78 (Meat Loaf's first tour) for which I believe the tickets were a buck.
    I forgot all about 96X they would come to Grant and hand out there stickers and throw a party in the courtyard from time to time. You wont see a radio station getting to do that these days!

Quote Originally Posted by ski1420 View Post
    I had a friend who was a KATT dj back in 78,79 or 80. Her name is Barbara. Does anyone remember her? I've lost track of her.
    I do remember her, but I have not heard of her in years!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix59 View Post
    I think I remember that concert, but I thought it was Meat Loaf and Whitesnake. Bat Out of Hell had just been released that week and we were going to go to that concert, but a sudden snow storm kept us at home pursuing other entertainment options while listening to Bat Out of Hell.

Bat Out of Hell released: 1977
    Whitesnake formed (in England): 1978
    Crawler: Never heard of 'em . . . Until now.

Why does the KATT not use their cat mascot in advertising anymore. Back in the 70s and 80s you'd see KATT billboards around town, KATT stickers/memorobilia etc. It was so cool to have those call letters and their marketing department was good in the beginning. But somewhere along the way they decided they didn't need their mascot to advertise anymore.

Also, does anymone remember a night time DJ for the KATT back in the early 80s who had a quiet, velvety smooth voice? I always loved his voice. It was so calming. But it belied the kind of music they played. His voice probably would've been more at home on an AC station or some such.

Greg Zoobeck is the only one that I can remember doing nights there.

The only DJ i can recall other then zoobeck back in the day is Lisa Myrick. Also remember they used to have something called KATT FEST at the Myriad back in the 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    Greg Zoobeck is the only one that I can remember doing nights there.
    It's definitely not Zoo that I'm thinking about. They guy I'm thinking of had a totally different voice than him.

I thought that KATT-FM was the best thing since sliced bread when I first moved down here in '74.
    It served as a replacement for KIMN ("Kim"): "The Denver Tiger" . . .

Now my listening tastes are more in the direction of what is available on "Public Radio".
    But that is in no way to be misinterpred as a "diss" in the direction of "The" KATT. More like a "meh".

Sure wish there was a station here that played "Classic Celtic 24/7" interspersed with "Dropkick Murpheys" to provide variety. =)

KATT-FM 100 was the only station that I had locked-in on my radio dial . . .
    Back in The Day. (well . . . KATT and KOMA (news/talk) . . . it was KOMA, wasn't it? maybe WKY? Oh! Wait!: KTOK!)

Prunepicker Guest

Truthfully, KATT didn't play anything I liked unless, by a miracle, it made the top
    40. C'mon, I was an arena rocker. Yes, Jethro Tull and the like were my idea
    of musical taste. Now it's Beethoven and Bottesini. UNLESS I'm getting paid
    to play!

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    It's definitely not Zoo that I'm thinking about. They guy I'm thinking of had a totally different voice than him.
    Fred Hendrickson?

The only time I listened to KATT was no-repeat Thursdays when stuff I liked made it on the air.

RM, there's a chance I'm mistaken but I think KATT didn't get here till at least, at least 1977 or 78.

No nostalgia whatsoever for the KATT, short of the one year I listened to it in seventh grade. AOR as a format was dead to me by the time I was a frosh in high school. Couldn't stand it. There's a time and place for everything, but the time for listening to Eddie Money, Foriegner, Bad Company, Pat Benatar, has come and gone.

Quote Originally Posted by boscorama View Post
    The only time I listened to KATT was no-repeat Thursdays when stuff I liked made it on the air.

RM, there's a chance I'm mistaken but I think KATT didn't get here till at least, at least 1977 or 78.
    I wondered about that too, I know that the Blue Walrus from 96X preceded the KATT by a couple of years.

Thread Information