Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: KATT memories

Default Re: KATT memories

Back in high school my radio never left the KATT. Every song was good and you never heard the same song twice unless you were listening all day long (morning-night).

Zoobeck's noon show is a small sample of what made the KATT great. Today it is just a mindless chatter and overplayed top 40 rock.

Quote Originally Posted by oneforone View Post
    Back in high school my radio never left the KATT. Every song was good and you never heard the same song twice unless you were listening all day long (morning-night).

Zoobeck's noon show is a small sample of what made the KATT great. Today it is just a mindless chatter and overplayed top 40 rock.
    Is it not amazing how a song you really like when you first hear it becomes one of anger and dread because it's played every 15 to 30 minutes?

We've discussed the KATT radio station and memories...So, I'll throw in a plug for KLPR....in it's day they were the Only Country Station in the area.....Now there are more Country stations than Hard Rock.....You know, My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys.....Gene, Roy, Tex, Lash, Cisco. Hopalong.....and so on....

Old Jack Beasley had channel 14 in OKC, too. He used the term "hammerhead" to describe about anybody. I liked "To Sell 'em, Tell 'em" - his motto for getting ads.

Quote Originally Posted by papaOU View Post
    Is it not amazing how a song you really like when you first hear it becomes one of anger and dread because it's played every 15 to 30 minutes?
    they sure played a lot of metallica in the early 90s, but then again, metallica was uber huge back then. even kjyo was compelled to play metallica since they are a top 40 station and metallica was def in the top 40s then. "enter sandman" was being played ALL THE TIME on many different stations.

the most annoying back-to-back playback i ever heard on any station ever, is when kjyo played vanilla ice's "ice ice baby" about 15 times back-to-back, because according to them, he had taken the top 15 spots on the billboard charts that week.

man, how times have certainly changed.

Quote Originally Posted by decepticobra View Post
    they sure played a lot of metallica in the early 90s, but then again, metallica was uber huge back then. even kjyo was compelled to play metallica since they are a top 40 station and metallica was def in the top 40s then. "enter sandman" was being played ALL THE TIME on many different stations.

the most annoying back-to-back playback i ever heard on any station ever, is when kjyo played vanilla ice's "ice ice baby" about 15 times back-to-back, because according to them, he had taken the top 15 spots on the billboard charts that week.

man, how times have certainly changed.
    but you can say the same about WKY and KOMA during the 60's and 70's. I think the only one that did not was an "underground" station out of Edmond.

7. Default Re: KATT memories

but you can say the same about WKY and KOMA during the 60's and 70's. I think the only one that did not was an "underground" station out of Edmond.
    97.7 KWHP. The station had two homes in its KWHP days. Both were also the home of the owner, Bill Payne. The studio was in the garage. The call letters were his initials: William Haydon Payne

Dear KATT, Please for the love of God stop playing Shinedown... I dont know if you guys are trying to lose listeners but you have damn near lost all of my friends... Yeah keep running half assed songs into the ground... Geezous

I think the only one that did not was an "underground" station out of Edmond.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeOKC View Post
    97.7 KWHP.
    I used to love that station. They played songs the other stations wouldn't/couldn't play.

I listened to it all night. What was the name of the late night DJ? (Poison Ivy?)

97.7 KWHP. The station had two homes in its KWHP days. Both were also the home of the owner, Bill Payne. The studio was in the garage. The call letters were his initials: William Haydon Payne
    Yep, and Bill was an ego-maniac.

Quote Originally Posted by FRISKY View Post
    I used to love that station. They played songs the other stations wouldn't/couldn't play.

I listened to it all night. What was the name of the late night DJ? (Poison Ivy?)
    They played "The Pusher" before anyone else would. Great station while it lasted.

What about KOCY-FM, "96.1 megahetrz under Oklahoma City"? They were on the air with a progressive format before K-Whip.

Quote Originally Posted by skyrick View Post
    What about KOCY-FM, "96.1 megahetrz under Oklahoma City"? They were on the air with a progressive format before K-Whip.
    Maybe KOCY is the station I listened to all night instead of KWHP. It would have been around 1967 because it was the first time I heard Arlo Guthrie's songs Alice's Restaurant and The Motorcycle Song. They also played the really long versions of Iron Butterfly's In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida and a couple others.

Heh, gotta sudden urge to dig out those old songs... Be right back...

Quote Originally Posted by FRISKY View Post
    Maybe KOCY is the station I listened to all night instead of KWHP. It would have been around 1967 because it was the first time I heard Arlo Guthrie's songs Alice's Restaurant and The Motorcycle Song. They also played the really long versions of Iron Butterfly's In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida and a couple others.

Heh, gotta sudden urge to dig out those old songs... Be right back...
    One of the guys I went to High School with was a DJ on the old KOCY FM - Charlie Seay. He was there WHILE we were still in H.S. I was very envious. I have always wanted to be in radio.

Was KOCY located on N. Broadway. I remember the first time I listened to the station. Dark room, only a burning candle, an altered state of mind, and they played Here Comes The Sun by the Beatles. What a great introduction to a new site that played "movies" for your ears.....

Was KOCY located on N. Broadway. I remember the first time I listened to the station. Dark room, only a burning candle, an altered state of mind, and they played Here Comes The Sun by the Beatles. What a great introduction to a new site that played "movies" for your ears.....
    The first thing I heard on KOCY-FM was in early ?'69? "Song for Susan" by Country Joe and the Fish. I already had the album (Fixin'-to-Die) and thought it was so cool that a radio station would play such a subtle, repetitive song.

The first thing I heard when I finally got my own FM radio was either "Epitaph" from the first King Crimson album or "Several Species of Small, Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave, and Grooving With a Pict" from Umma Gumma by Pink Floyd. I remember they were both played in the same set, can't remember which was first.

Thank God I was NOT in an altered state when I heard the Floyd cut.

17. Default Re: KATT memories

When I answered KWHP it was because he specifically said "out of Edmond." But yes, KOCY-FM was a year or so ahead of KWHP with the "underground" stuff that was the rage of FM at the time. Had a better signal too. KOCY-AM (1340) had come off huge success in the fifties to finally cede the Top 40 format to WKY and KOMA. KOCY-AM was one of the last true "MOR" (Middle of the Road) stations in Oklahoma City, they had Mutual Network offerings overnight (and top-of-hour news) and a quality local news operation. I wish I could remember the name of the announcer in the evenings on KOCY for years through the 70's. Deep voice, very "MOR" but he sure did it well. And yes, on MOR they called them "announcers" or even "presenters." KOCY also broadcast CBS programming as well if it wasn't picked up by the local affiliate. The CBS Radio Mystery Theater was on KOCY when it first began. Great old radio station, I still miss it.

The first thing I heard on KOCY-FM was in early ?'69? "Song for Susan" by Country Joe and the Fish. I already had the album (Fixin'-to-Die) and thought it was so cool that a radio station would play such a subtle, repetitive song.

The first thing I heard when I finally got my own FM radio was either "Epitaph" from the first King Crimson album or "Several Species of Small, Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave, and Grooving With a Pict" from Umma Gumma by Pink Floyd. I remember they were both played in the same set, can't remember which was first.

Thank God I was NOT in an altered state when I heard the Floyd cut.
    Umma Gumma & Atom Heart Mother are the two best Pink Floyd albums made....

I had a KWHP button at one time, in fact it still may be in my parents attic.

20. Default Re: KATT memories

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    Is it one of the old red and white oversized buttons with a K looping under the WHP in an almost flower power kind of typography?

It was a smaller (probably about 3/4") but was red/white. I may have to see if my parents found it along with the Nixon Now buttons.

My little brother won a motorcycle from KWHP around 1974.

It was a smaller (probably about 3/4") but was red/white. I may have to see if my parents found it along with the Nixon Now buttons.
    That's what we need: "Nixon Now".

Quote Originally Posted by RealJimbo View Post
    I have always wanted to be in radio.
    theres a little college out in del city on 29th street that will help you accomplish that goal.

I still love the KATT and I listen to Rick and Brad all the time while driving to work. They're still awesome, funny and relevant. Quite an accomplishment for guys that have been around as long as they have.

Thread Information