Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: KATT memories

1. Default Re: KATT memories

and figure in the way that album sales are now calculated and the way albums are sold. Gone are the record stores. CD's are sold at Best Buy and Walmart now. It used to be an album was released and made it's way up the charts. Now they debut at #1 and go down from there. That instant gratification means you have to have immediate success with a debut record or you are gone. Record execs can no longer take chances. It's the same reason why movies are so bad.

Default Re: KATT memories

Quote Originally Posted by so1rfan View Post
    and figure in the way that album sales are now calculated and the way albums are sold. Gone are the record stores. CD's are sold at Best Buy and Walmart now. It used to be an album was released and made it's way up the charts. Now they debut at #1 and go down from there. That instant gratification means you have to have immediate success with a debut record or you are gone. Record execs can no longer take chances. It's the same reason why movies are so bad.
    If you will go to you tube and enter Frank Zappa you'll find a clip of Uncle Frankie on the Mike Douglas Show. I don't know if Mike Douglas means anything to you but it doesn't matter. Zappa hated record companies with a passion. At the time of the show he was already out on his own, did his own recording, distribution and so forth. His concern was the fans and what they wanted to hear. So much so that if a record did not sell well he would scrape up some money and move his music in a different direction. He lasted many years with that plan and got very little air time on the radio. But you can be assured that if he was in concert it was a sell out. In the US and Europe as well. I miss him.

this is the KATT calendar from 1989, back in the hey-day when they were available at Arby's restaurants.Thought Id post in on here to commemorate its 20th anniversary. I owned this calendar and it features pictoral images of different bands. (ex: the spinning top that says "ZZ" on it is ZZ Top)

see how many bands you can identify.

http://www.curtoons.com/uploaded_ima...989-786818.jpg

btw, never could figure out the cowboy in red. anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by mireaux View Post
    this is the KATT calendar from 1989, back in the hey-day when they were available at Arby's restaurants.Thought Id post in on here to commemorate its 20th anniversary. I owned this calendar and it features pictoral images of different bands. (ex: the spinning top that says "ZZ" on it is ZZ Top)

see how many bands you can identify.

http://www.curtoons.com/uploaded_ima...989-786818.jpg

Mannnnnnnnnn...........

Talkin' about making someone feel old..................

Even magnified I can't read half of the stuff..........

Think this comes in braille..............

Quote Originally Posted by papaOU View Post
    Mannnnnnnnnn...........

Talkin' about making someone feel old..................

Even magnified I can't read half of the stuff..........

Think this comes in braille..............
    yeah, its a bit blurry. i didnt upload it though so dont blame me. at the end of the rainbow is a butterfly with inscripted "Fe" on its wings.

Quote Originally Posted by mireaux View Post

Red Rider?

I don't remember much about the KATT since that wasn't my choice of music but, don't you think it would be very Nostalgic to have/own the Mascot KATT costume that was worn everytime they (KATT) did a PROMO???? You could probably pull it off PapaOU...Not the costume but in getting it...Whatever...

Have one!!!!!!!

Anyone remember the original call letters before they secured the rights to K*A*T*T?

Rick

10. Default Re: KATT memories

Quote Originally Posted by skyrick View Post
    Anyone remember the original call letters before they secured the rights to K*A*T*T?
    When Jack Beasley set up the station (a sister to KLPR), he named it KJAK, after himself. There existed, briefly, a version of the current KATT cat logo with the KJAK call and the legend "THE CAT," although this disappeared once the FCC approved the new call.

There had been a station on 100.5 before Beasley, assigned the call KIOO, but that was before my time (at least here).

Quote Originally Posted by windowphobe View Post
    When Jack Beasley set up the station (a sister to KLPR), he named it KJAK, after himself. There existed, briefly, a version of the current KATT cat logo with the KJAK call and the legend "THE CAT," although this disappeared once the FCC approved the new call.

There had been a station on 100.5 before Beasley, assigned the call KIOO, but that was before my time (at least here).
    Give the man a see-gar. I thought at the time they would call it Radio Kojak, as they didn't start calling it The Katt until they had been on the air a couple of weeks with that format.

Rick

Ah, the KATT. Great thread. I remember it from day one; always listened back then. Still love heavy metal and now alternative; KATT never played enough of heavy for me, though. No one can believe someone as "old" as I would ever listen to music like that.

I had all the KATT stickers, a couple of calendars, tee-shirts, and a mug [I think it's around in a cabinet somewhere]. Remember going to two of the KATT store locations and buying things. I was a real KATT fan....but what I liked most was their "guest deejay" contests. I actually won TWICE and was on the air and played "my" favs. What a trip...twice [April of '88 and July of '91]! Of course I had to drive out to the studio in the darkest of night [the programs were on at midnight], which was a bit unnerving...especially since I had to stand outside the door until the deejay could get down there and let me in. However, being a high school teacher then, I won some real points with my students for doing the shows. Just too much fun!

Thanks for all the memories!

[QUOTE=old okie;259682]Ah, the KATT. Great thread. I remember it from day one; always listened back then. Still love heavy metal and now alternative; KATT never played enough of heavy for me, though. No one can believe someone as "old" as I would ever listen to music like that.

I had all the KATT stickers, a couple of calendars, tee-shirts, and a mug [I think it's around in a cabinet somewhere]. Remember going to two of the KATT store locations and buying things. I was a real KATT fan....but what I liked most was their "guest deejay" contests. I actually won TWICE and was on the air and played "my" favs. What a trip...twice [April of '88 and July of '91]! Of course I had to drive out to the studio in the darkest of night [the programs were on at midnight], which was a bit unnerving...especially since I had to stand outside the door until the deejay could get down there and let me in. However, being a high school teacher then, I won some real points with my students for doing the shows. Just too much fun! That's Kool!! Okie..I really liked the KATT back in the day. Do you remember the Fresh air station (I think it was called) Maybe 104 out of Edmond around 69 or 70? FM was considered underground. I can remember listening one night when it went silent and about 10 mins. later the DJ went "WOW...I spaced out Man...Sorry.."

Do you remember the Fresh air station (I think it was called) Maybe 104 out of Edmond around 69 or 70? FM was considered underground. I can remember listening one night when it went silent and about 10 mins. later the DJ went "WOW...I spaced out Man...Sorry.."[/QUOTE]

I remember it!! Was it in Edmond or the station that was on N. Broadway in downtown OKC? "Here Comes the Sun" came on one night when I was "relaxing" at home by candlelight. Always think of that whenever I hear that tune today...

I didn't know Jack Beasley had anything to do with KATT. I knew Jack Beasley from the advertising TG&Y did and of course being the salesperson he was he would promise you the moon. And, I thought being a Dee Jay would be so cool on a Country Station so one day I asked Jack for the "favor" he always promised. Let me try out for a D.J. Job. He did....I did.... and in his most eloquent voice he said "Don't quit your Day Job Boy".... Oh Well, I got the chance to try out (On air I might add)...

Does anyone remember a mourning show D.J. named Max?

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    I didn't know Jack Beasley had anything to do with KATT. I knew Jack Beasley from the advertising TG&Y did and of course being the salesperson he was he would promise you the moon. And, I thought being a Dee Jay would be so cool on a Country Station so one day I asked Jack for the "favor" he always promised. Let me try out for a D.J. Job. He did....I did.... and in his most eloquent voice he said "Don't quit your Day Job Boy".... Oh Well, I got the chance to try out (On air I might add)...
    I think you had a gift for what you did on your day job. Remember Jack's liberal use of "that old hammerhead"?

Way back up the thread Trey Aven was mentioned - he did design the Katt logo as well as a lot of other iconic logos around OKC. I think he told me they never paid him. Of course he patterned the Katt after Fritz the Cat from the movies of the same name, so he may have been on shaky ground anyway.

Cindy Skull - anyone remember her?

Geek of the week award - they played a song called "Pencil Necked Geek" when they did this spot every week.

The dead air space metioned on the "Fresh Air" station may have been Bill Riddle - he was fond of thumbing his nose at managment, but he was a truly gifted DJ.

Quote Originally Posted by RealJimbo View Post
    You can listen to her online right now (7-Midnite) on 97.1 The Eagle out of DFW, she is back there again.

Here is her website: CindyScull.com

I know this is a KATT thread but Lisa Mirick of KRXO fame died in Georgia tuesday. Had trouble with drugs and the bottle for several years. Won't know cause until autopsy.

I know this is a KATT thread but Lisa Mirick of KRXO fame died in Georgia tuesday. Had trouble with drugs and the bottle for several years. Won't know cause until autopsy.
    Lisa was the best thing that happened to KRXO in my opinion when her and spinozi and toof were a group, now the morning show there just sux. She had it pretty rough the last few years with the divorce and all. It is just sad all the way around, may she rest in peace.

Quote Originally Posted by windowphobe View Post

wow, youve got a goldmine of info there. perhaps you may even know when KATT was "born"?. I know it had to be sometime around Valentines Day of 1976. The reason I say this is cause when they announce "your 30 year home of pure rock", .."your 25 year home of pure rock", etc..the accumulative year amount seems to always gain a new number around my bday, jan 27th.

I phoned the station up one time to ask them, and no one working seemed to know the exact date either.

does anyone here know the exact day the KATT was born (i.e. acquired its call letters from FCC), but more specifically, the first time the KATT call sign was broadcast over OKC airwaves?

Quote Originally Posted by FRISKY View Post
    Red Rider?
    yeah thanks. i finally figured that one out too. it is in fact, Red Rider.

I love their song, "Lunatic Fringe"

when i went to vo-tech in high school, they had apple pcs set up with the game Lunatic Fringe...it was addicting to play, even by todays video game standards.

left side: two cats=STRAY CATS
    cowboy in red: RED RIDER
    on the table, metal pan with meatloaf=MEATLOAF
    on the table, slice of bread=BREAD
    on the table, coffee cup=CREAM

left side, clear bottle with white skull & crossbones=POISON

left side, bottom corner rat=RATT

left side, bottom corner..gun imprinted with .38 =38 SPECIAL

wooden blocks=U2

left side, rabbit emerging from hat = CHEAP TRICK

right side, potted plant in bob pot= ROBERT PLANT

right side, u.s. map with kansas highlighted = KANSAS

right side, lower corner..heart= HEART

man wearing crown= B.B. KING

girl wearing crown= QUEEN

man with bandage on face = PINK FLOYD

THATS ALL I WILL SOLVE, IF ANY ONE ELSE WANTS TO TAKE A CRACK A SOLVING THE REST OF THE BANDS ON THE CALENDAR, BE MY GUEST.

**( i tried posting the url from above for here, but when i copied and pasted it, it indicates the page has moved..however, the above url works fine...so youll have to scroll up and use that url )

Quote Originally Posted by RealJimbo View Post
    I think you had a gift for what you did on your day job. Remember Jack's liberal use of "that old hammerhead"?

Way back up the thread Trey Aven was mentioned - he did design the Katt logo as well as a lot of other iconic logos around OKC. I think he told me they never paid him. Of course he patterned the Katt after Fritz the Cat from the movies of the same name, so he may have been on shaky ground anyway.

Geek of the week award - they played a song called "Pencil Necked Geek" when they did this spot every week.

The dead air space metioned on the "Fresh Air" station may have been Bill Riddle - he was fond of thumbing his nose at managment, but he was a truly gifted DJ.

I remember Cindy...she was at KZPS in Dallas...she might still be. I have a friend that worked for Clear Channel - was the afternoon guy there, and did weekends and remotes and stuff. I went to the station with him a few times on the weekends and met Cindy. They flipped the station and got rid of a lot of "real" dj's - most everyone is recorded now...my friend lost his job

don't know if Cindy is still there or not.

does anyone remember Lisa Mirick? she died last week.

If anyone is interested Lisa Mirick's obit is in today's Sunday Oklahoman. There will be a memorial service for her Saturday, Dec. 5, 2:00 p.m. at Smith & Kenke.

Thread Information