Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: KATT memories

Default Re: KATT memories

Quote Originally Posted by papaOU View Post
    Elvis Costello? He's still living.

Geeeee.............

Complain about "greasers" and then throw Elvis out there....
    (can't wait til you get here baby. After ya pickup the pizza, go by Dunkin Donuts and get two dozen jelly filled long johns.....What am I doin? Just sitting here on the crapper makin room for what you bringin'. Stop by DQ and get four or five blizzards. Ouch! My chest hurts. Feel like I'm gonna throw-up. Wish I could get some action from my poop chute and things will be comin' out of both ends makin' more room. Think I'm gonna lay here on the tile floor. My bvd's are tangled around my ankles. That happens some times when your butt is five times larger than your ankles. Yep! I'm gonna lay down here until you arrive.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    once again, don't mess with the little green pills during the day.....It's pink and white only for you.....That's a baby aspirin (pink) and a regular tylenol (white).....Oh, I get it......you're being like Elvis....Hmmmmmm.....

The KATT debuted in it's rock format in 1976, which was when I was in high school.

It was a big deal then and somewhat amazing it is still going in a pretty similar format 30+ years later.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    The KATT debuted in it's rock format in 1976, which was when I was in high school.

It was a big deal then and somewhat amazing it is still going in a pretty similar format 30+ years later.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey guy, great to see you're still alive.....don't forget how long KOMA has lasted....

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post

You must be about the same age as me then....I was also in high school when it started up.

Zoobeck: where ya calling from?

Caller: Moore

Zoobeck: ....or less??

Quote Originally Posted by mireaux View Post
    Zoobeck: where ya calling from?

Caller: Moore

Zoobeck: ....or less??
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I know tonight at about 3:00a.m. I'll catch this one...that's whats wrong with today's younger generation....wait a minute you guys are now part of the "OLDER" crowd....

I always enjoyed the skits of Bladerunner, who was notorious for his 'Ed Zachary' character.
    ...this shortest straw has been pulled for you

Or even the skit about dickens cider

Quote Originally Posted by grantgeneral78 View Post
    Or even the skit about dickens cider
    You young pups don't remember the Hiney Wine from Noble, Oklahoma do you???? you could always screw the cap on your Hiney:.....good wine huh????2009 vintage......

My wife's Hiney Wine T shirt says Tuttle.

Quote Originally Posted by USG '60 View Post
    My wife's Hiney Wine T shirt says Tuttle.
    I think you're right. They had a huge fire in Noble and had to move the Distribution plant over to Tuttle and finally they just moved everything forgot about that....Sorry.....

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    I think you're right. They had a huge fire in Noble and had to move the Distribution plant over to Tuttle and finally they just moved everything forgot about that....Sorry.....
    Yeah get your facts straight mister......it is in tuttle and yes I rememeber the commercial.

Yeah get your facts straight mister......it is in tuttle and yes I rememeber the commercial.
    commercial????? you mean to tell me that this isn't true?????

You have to hear the DICKENS CIDER comercial it is hilarious

Wink Re: KATT memories

You have to hear the DICKENS CIDER comercial it is hilarious
    ohh, the innuendos. reminds me of the KATT dj, Dick Fitzwell.

16. Default Re: KATT memories

Back in the day if you wanted to know about a band there was only one resource: music magazines. I could spend a full day at a grocery store if they had a good magazine rack. I had a subscription to Circus magazine, Hit Parader, and Creem when I was in junior high school. (I wasn't allowed to read Rolling Stone.) Paid for it out of my allowance. I would read about bands and only imagine what they sounded like. The KATT had the Eagles, Aerosmith, REO Speedwagon, Led Zeppelin, and Bruce Springsteen on heavy rotation back then. So I pretty much despised those bands. Those magazines turned me onto a lot of bands years before anyone else heard of them.

There was an article where they had asked record stores across the countrywhat was hot in their stores. Up in New England eight of the ten record stores all listed The Cars. One of them said , "The Cars debut album sounds like a greatest hits record." So I had to have it. I pestered the clerk at Sound Warehouse for two months before they got a copy in. It wasn't until Candy-O came out that they became popular here.

A friend of mine saw a band at Magic Mountain in California, and when he got back he told me all about how awesome they were. We listened to Van Halen all summer long well before Eruption erupted on the airways.

I read about a band of sixteen year olds from Britain that were releasing their debut album. I wore out my copy of On Through the Night, and two years later, MTV made Def Leppard one of the hottest bands ever.

It's mind boggling when you realize the number of popular bands that never got airplay on the KATT. Or the number of bands that got minimal airplay until late in their careers. For example:

One of the most popular bands ever (regardless of how you feel about them), they may have had Rock and Roll All Night played once in a blue moon, but until Lick It Up, the Katt refused to play Kiss.

Metallica, nothing prior to Enter Sandman and the release of the black album. Maybe One but that's it.

Ramones: never.

The Clash: not until Combat Rock album and the song Train in Vain became an MTV staple.

Iron Maiden: Never

Korn: not until they won an MTV music award.

But boy howdy, they played the crap out of Loverboy, Journey, Styx, Toto, and Foreignor.

It's understandable, you have to appeal to the masses and the masses love formulatic corporate rock.

Quote Originally Posted by so1rfan View Post
    But boy howdy, they played the crap out of Loverboy, Journey, Styx, Toto, and Foreignor.

It's understandable, you have to appeal to the masses and the masses love formulatic corporate rock.
    ..and censors and the FCC, which the latter has gotten a tad more lenient of what they will accept on the airwaves these days.

btw, you rule since you mentioned Hit Parader mag. that and Metal Edge rox my sox.

ohh, the innuendos. reminds me of the KATT dj, Dick Fitzwell.
    I forgot about him...lol

They played Iron Maiden Run to the Hills when it was out some, never on a heavy rotation but that was about it. I saw them open up for .38 Special at the LNC in 1983 on the Number of the Beast tour. "Heavy rotation" came along a little later, hearing the same song every two hours is heavy rotation like it is now. I don't think they were that bad back then.

I also grew up on those bands you despise and still listen to them at times. I listen to a little bit of everything but I also worked at Sound Warehouse, if something interesting came in we could open it and play it. Working there did open up my "sphere" of music.

so1rfan:

Did you get to read the Rolling Stone before it got to being a 'commercial' rag? Time killed it as everyone knew they would.
    I agree with you concerning the Clash, Ramones.........
    That's why I have always stayed out there on the fringe..................

Well the years was rollin by, yeah
    Heavy metal n glitter rock
    Had caught the public eye, yeah
    Snotty boys with lipstick on
    Was really flyin high, yeah
    N then they got that disco thing
    N new wave came along
    N all of a sudden I thought the time
    Had come for that old song
    We used to play in joes garage
    And if I am not wrong
    You will soon be dancin to...

21. Default Re: KATT memories

The only good DJ at the KATT is zubeck he still plays the good rock, the others need to go bye bye
    he plays crap. 70's and 80's, and pretty much nothing else. thats the problem with that station. they play waaay too much old music and probably the top 10 rock songs that are popular right now. they are the station with "the best new rock first", yeah my ass. arent there several stations right now that play classic rock? which is cool, but the katt needs to play heavy rock, buzz with their lighter stuff and then the classic stations. that would solve some problems.
    i used to be die hard katt fan, but with the same songs every hour and never playing up and coming bands they just arent anything special anymore.
    six letters o- c- t- a- n- e .

Quote Originally Posted by fromdust View Post
    he plays crap. 70's and 80's, and pretty much nothing else. thats the problem with that station. they play waaay too much old music and probably the top 10 rock songs that are popular right now. they are the station with "the best new rock first", yeah my ass. arent there several stations right now that play classic rock? which is cool, but the katt needs to play heavy rock, buzz with their lighter stuff and then the classic stations. that would solve some problems.
    i used to be die hard katt fan, but with the same songs every hour and never playing up and coming bands they just arent anything special anymore.
    It's the nature of the beast.

Quote Originally Posted by fromdust View Post
    he plays crap. 70's and 80's, and pretty much nothing else. thats the problem with that station. they play waaay too much old music and probably the top 10 rock songs that are popular right now. they are the station with "the best new rock first", yeah my ass. .......and never playing up and coming bands they just arent anything special anymore.

thats cause a lot of bands these days cant play worth crap, and a lot of them are copying the styles of other bands and every one else and their brother band sounds the same.

according to metallica, napster pretty much killed the music industry right around the turn of the millenium, everyone wants to rip music for free these days, and the only people even buying albums anymore is 13 yr old kids..and the billboard charts clearly reflects their financial clout in terms of the bands they support and the records which are actually sold..which is why rock died and gave rise to sugar-coated candy pop bands (justin timberlake, britney spears, christina aguilera,all-edmond rejects, puddle of muddvayne, p.o.d., p.o.s., p.m.s., ..i think im gonna puke now)

most of what i would call good bands have pretty much fell off the radio,..you know, ..bands that actually know how to play their own instruments without the constant need of a techie behind the scenes all the time.

thats cause a lot of bands these days cant play worth crap, and a lot of them are copying the styles of other bands and every one else and their brother band sounds the same.

according to metallica, napster pretty much killed the music industry right around the turn of the millenium, everyone wants to rip music for free these days, and the only people even buying albums anymore is 13 yr old kids..and the billboard charts clearly reflects their financial clout in terms of the bands they support and the records which are actually sold..which is why rock died and gave rise to sugar-coated candy pop bands (justin timberlake, britney spears, christina aguilera,all-edmond rejects, puddle of muddvayne, p.o.d., p.o.s., p.m.s., ..i think im gonna puke now)

most of what i would call good bands have pretty much fell off the radio,..you know, ..bands that actually know how to play their own instruments without the constant need of a techie behind the scenes all the time.
    There was a time when if you had a band and could get a song or two recorded, even record stores had recording equipment you could take the demos to radio stations and possibly get the d.j. to play it at least once or twice and that could be the opening for you.
    now it's who you play like, look like, could be groomed into.........
    We "old folks" went to places where there were battle of the bands. You could see 4,5,6 or more bands in one night. Maybe they were cover bands but they were good and talented. And sometimes a band or maybe a member or two would get a contract.

I chuckled at battle of the bands. The only time I hear about these now are from my kiddos, unless one counts the all day lineups at zooamp.

A few years back, my then 17 yr old wanted to go to a BOTB at "Studio 104" or something like that in OKC. Not recognizing the venue name, a condition of approval was provide me an addtess.

I hit google and studio whatever was actually a large storage locker in a Ur Stuff Here sort of place toward the north side. However, turned out the bands were ok and they had fun that night. I'd never heard of any of them before ot since, so apparently storage lockers are not the fast track to fame, lol.

Thread Information