Widgets Magazine

Thread: Mamaveca's

Default Mamaveca's

Anyone had it? Im going to give it a shot, saw the commercials on ch 9.

Default Re: Mamaveca's

They has a nice write up in the Transcript this time last year
    The Norman Transcript - Plato caliente

Several short reviews were found posted at:
    Mamaveca Mexican Resturant - Norman, OK

3. Default Re: Mamaveca's

I ate there this weekend. I had one of their peruvian dishes the Ceviche de Pescado. I didn't care for it that much but the thing that supirsed me about it that it was served cold. Like out of the refrigerator cold. I asked the waiter about it and he said that is how it is supposed to be. I chalked it up to my inexperience with peruvian food. Not sure if all the peruvian dishes are like that.

I would like to go back and try something different. The salsa is pretty good and I though their prices were fairly decent.

Everytime I have ever had ceviche it has been cold.

Quote Originally Posted by ChargerAg View Post
    I ate there this weekend. I had one of their peruvian dishes the Ceviche de Pescado. I didn't care for it that much but the thing that supirsed me about it that it was served cold. Like out of the refrigerator cold. I asked the waiter about it and he said that is how it is supposed to be. I chalked it up to my inexperience with peruvian food. Not sure if all the peruvian dishes are like that.

I would like to go back and try something different. The salsa is pretty good and I though their prices were fairly decent.
    Yeah, all ceviche is served cold. Its "cooked" in citrus which is why you can eat it without an issue. That is just about the only fish dish that is served cold. If you like stir fry, I would recommend you try Lomo Saltado. Its potatoes, chicken or steak, onions, and lots of yummy spices. Usually served with fried yucca (a cactus-like plant).

I'll have to try this place out! Just got back from Peru and I fell in love with their cuisine (only had Ceviche at the nice restaurants, but it was awesome!). Thanks for the tip about this place, I'll have to check it out. I do like Zarate's alot.

Don't give up on Peruvian food!

Quote Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
    Everytime I have ever had ceviche it has been cold.
    This is a joke, yes?

not only that, but the gazpacho was cold and the steak tartare was practically raw.

i kid, i kid. -M

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    This is a joke, yes?
    Probably not considering ceviche is supposed to be served cold...

Much like revenge, ceviche is a dish that is best served cold.

Kaaaahhn!

My husband and I have eaten at Mamavecas several times and it has always been excellent. The single fajitas could easily feed two adults and their prices are great. He's tried several of the peruvian dishes and has liked them all, but he has a very adventurous palate!

11. Default Re: Mamaveca's

Yeah, ceviche is one of those dishes that is always served cold, like Gazpacho.

I tried the Lomo Saltado over the weekend and it was not all that great. My main complaint was the steak.....it was SO tough my teeth hurt from chewing it. I could only eat two pieces/strips before I stopped. The potatoes seemed like they were frozen fries. The sauce that the dish was served in was alright. had a taste of chicken enchilada and it was ok, so I probably should have ordered the lomo saltado with chicken....I'll probably just stick with Tarahumara's

My family eats there regularly, and get the regular mexican food, not the peruvian. We think it is better than Tarhumerah on Porter... Give it a try with the mexican food, you will love it...

Thread Information