Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: South Side Update

Patrick Guest

Default South Side Update

Gaining momentum: I-240 is heart of south Oklahoma City redevelopment effort

By Steven E. Wedel

When compared to the north side of the metro, south Oklahoma City has long been seen as a late bloomer -- if not just downright backward. With new businesses moving into the area and existing businesses jockeying for better locations, Oklahoma City’s south side is now coming into its own and perhaps on the cusp of a boom.

“It’s going really well,” said Elaine Lyons, president of the South Oklahoma City Chamber of Commerce, on recruiting new business. “Most of the big-box locations have been sold and are scheduled to be remodeled or torn down.”

Currently there are four “big-box” buildings unoccupied in the city’s south side. Of those four properties, one is a former Wal-Mart at the corner of S.W. 74th and Pennsylvania and one is at S.W. 74th and Walker, formerly housing Pratt’s. The others are located at S.W. 104th and Western and S.W. 74th and Shields and used to be home to an Albertson’s and K-Mart, respectively.

Of the four big boxes, three have been sold. Lyons said only the old K-Mart is still available. Lyons said the south chamber has led a grass-roots effort to bring in new businesses but that “the developers are really making it happen.”

Local developer P.B. Odom III is a leader in the effort, overseeing projects at two of the three, sold big-box locations, including the old Wal-Mart store. He cited the retail giant as responsible for so much property being available on the south side.

“Wal-Mart is the reason these big-box properties are existing,” Odom said. “These vacancies are a result of Wal-Mart’s influence on the marketplace. Sometimes Wal-Mart will come in and stay at a location for 10 years, then move to a bigger store in the same area, leaving the first store empty.”
    He continued, “Also, grocery stores are having a hard time competing with Wal-Mart Supercenters. Wal-Mart is responsible for the demise of the Pratt’s and the Albertson’s, and of course K-Mart was [its] major retail competition.”

Odom is quick to point out he is not opposed to Wal-Mart, though.

“I’ve developed for and sold to Wal-Mart,” he said. And, because of the Wal-Mart influence, he said he is continuing to profit from those empty big-box buildings.
    His company, P.B. Odom III Construction, Inc., is in the process of doing a “major, major, major remodel” on the old Albertson’s store to make way for a new shopping center called Palagio.

“It’ll be a Class A, high quality retail shopping center,” he said. “It’s a very difficult remodel because we’re going to make it front on two sides, facing Western and 104th.”
    When it’s finished, he said the revamped building will offer a total of 44,000 square feet of usable space. About 29,000 square feet will be dedicated to retail, with the remaining 15,000 square feet being flex space.

“These big-box stores are so deep,” he said. “Your typical retail store doesn’t go so deep, so the back area will be what we call flex space. It would be good for a dance studio, a gym, or office space – anything that doesn’t need a store front. A lot of these spaces go to churches.”

Odom said the flex space is much less expensive, about half the price, of the retail space.
    The old Wal-Mart store currently is being torn to the ground to make room for what Odom called a “power center.” This will be another multi-store, retail area offering 300,000 square feet of space. Odom was pleased to report the majority of the space already is leased.

“There will be some new stores coming into south Oklahoma City, but some others will be relocating to this power center from other south locations.” he said.

Those relocating include Mardel’s, Circuit City and PetSmart. New businesses to south Oklahoma City setting up shop in the power center include Old Navy, Michael’s and Ross.

Odom said Interstate 240, which runs parallel to S.W. 74th St., is “the engine that drives south Oklahoma City commerce.” With success at the sites being redeveloped, he believed other businesses in the area should prosper, too.

Such has been the case with Crossroads Mall, which stands on the northeast corner of I-240 and I-35 and has long been a shopping mecca on the city’s south side. Those involved with south Oklahoma City development hope the first month’s success of Steve and Barry’s University Sportswear in the mall is a beacon for those businesses considering a move to the south metro.

“South Oklahoma City has proven to be a perfect place for us to do our thing,” said store Manager Charles Harris, who added business had been “excellent” for the store since it opened the day before Thanksgiving.

The store, which sells licensed sportswear, anchors an area of the mall once occupied by Montgomery Ward.

“We’ve had excellent sales. Crossroads Mall has provided a great environment and has done an excellent job of doing things right. We’ve been well taken care of.”

Patrick Guest

Default Re: South Side Update

I'm definitely happy to hear that Steve and Barry's is doing so well. Now, if Macerich would ever renovate the mall.

I remember when Steve Wedel wrote for the Vista at UCO. Always trying to stir up contraversy. The guy didn't care who he pissed off.

That's what we need working for the Oklahoman! Steven, do not forget your past!!!

Patrick Guest

Funny that you mention that...I remember Steve's controversies well! Everytime he'd write a controversial article, it would be followed up by weeks of comments from dissatisfied students. He's actually become quite a writer though. First, taking a job with the Oklahoman reporting traffic changes/problems (Mr. Traffic), and now with OKC Business.

Anyways, looks like I-240 is becoming the Memorial Rd. of the south side. I'd say it's probably going to be even better than Memorial Rd., with the exception of the mall, because it contains elements from both NW Expressway and Memorial (the north side's largest retail and restaurant draws).

Anyways, looks like I-240 is becoming the Memorial Rd. of the south side. I'd say it's probably going to be even better than Memorial Rd.,
    I wouldnt go that far. Look at the housing prices, types of people, and the mall. It will be nice and long overdue, but it wont be a Memorial Rd. It wont have the huge corporate office park either, the turnpike, or room to expand northward like the Memorial area. Memorial will also continue to grow both eastbound and definetely westbound. It appears Gaillardia is already underway for the second phase of their commercial development.

Sooner&RiceGrad Guest

No, but the prox to 134th gives an upper class clientle, as well as residential growth. Commercial office park, eh? There is a commercial tower at 74th & Penn that has been there for awhile. Housing prices increase dramatically as soon as you cross 89th Street, and some of those neighborhoods have their own office parks too. I can name Shadowlake and Greenbriar off the top of my head. You may say, "Well... the schools aren't as good!" Well, actually the Moore school system is not on the No Child Left Behind list.... Edmond is. Most suburban districts in the U.S. are, only the exceptional ones aren't. So, actually, 74th Street is EXACTLY like Memorial Road, and I stand behind what Patrick said, 100%.

Patrick Guest

I think I-240 is a little further along than Memorial Rd. The only significant development on Memorial right now is between Portland and Penn. I guess I-240 development is just a little more spread out.

Jay Guest

I wanted to clear up a few things about this article.

Albertsons moved to SW 104th and Penn. The store at SW 104th and Penn was orginally a Homeland. Homeland was going to close that store Albertson's bought it from Homeland and closed the 104th and Western store.

Pratts closed the Walker store before the Supercenter on Santa Fe broke ground. JB Pratt closed the store because of a leasing dispute with Fleming who actually owned the store at the time.

I work for Circuit City and are regional VP was looking at property last week to move the south store. The Penn Location is one of three they are looking at to relocate.
    Last edited by OklaCity_75; 01-26-2005 at 11:13 AM. Reason: clarification

No, but the prox to 134th gives an upper class clientle, as well as residential growth. Commercial office park, eh? There is a commercial tower at 74th & Penn that has been there for awhile. Housing prices increase dramatically as soon as you cross 89th Street, and some of those neighborhoods have their own office parks too. I can name Shadowlake and Greenbriar off the top of my head. You may say, "Well... the schools aren't as good!" Well, actually the Moore school system is not on the No Child Left Behind list.... Edmond is. Most suburban districts in the U.S. are, only the exceptional ones aren't. So, actually, 74th Street is EXACTLY like Memorial Road, and I stand behind what Patrick said, 100%.
    I wouldnt go as far as saying "Exactly" ; my point is there isn't much that is run down near memorial rd development. on southside there is also alot of run down development not too far away. most of the development is RE-development. You don't see alot of upscale retailers on southside nor an office park even close to the extent as the one on memorial just west of may. you also dont see a gaillardia in the s.w. area.

"Albertsons moved to SW 104th and Penn. The store at SW 104th and Penn was orginally a Homeland. Homeland was going to close that store Albertson's bought it from Homeland and closed the 104th and Western store. "

I worked at the Homeland when it closed, and they closed for the same reason as Pratts. They company that owned the building wouldn't renew their lease, so Homeland had to close.

There isn't much run down near Memorial because most of it is newer. I-240 was developed before Memorial was anything but the road Mercy is on.

Rivendel isn't quite Gaillardia, but it is still nice.

The old Venture/K-mart building at Shields and 240 needs to be razed. The only thing there now is Circuit City, a western clothing store and a few small stores. Circuit City is moving to the old Wal-Mart site, so there will be nothing good left there. Circuit city was facing the parking lot, not 240 or shields which makes no sense at all. The stores last time I was there weren't in that great a shape either.

11. Default Re: South Side Update

I hope the developers are looking at the Crossroads area east of I-35 for the new Circuit City store or perhaps in the Riverwalk in Moore. I'm glad they are planning to relocate that store. With all the good things happening, they really need to look at redeveloping Shields Plaza or tear it down altogether to free up land for new development. That particular area is a real eyesore.

Patrick Guest

Hey John...the Circuit City will be moving to the new strip center going in where Wal-Mart used to be.

Unfortunately, many stores are actually leaving the Crossroads area. I know Eyemart Express recently left Crossroads Blvd. for I-240 and Santa Fe.
    Development around Crossroads would be helped if the mall were in better shape. Afterall, the mall is supposed to be the main anchor of the area. If its not doing well, nothing else will either.

I agree with you about Shields. I'd like to see Shields become another major thoroughfare like I-240, Memorial Rd, or NW Expressway. It could with the right re-development plan.

Sooner&RiceGrad Guest

I wouldnt go as far as saying "Exactly" ; my point is there isn't much that is run down near memorial rd development. on southside there is also alot of run down development not too far away. most of the development is RE-development. You don't see alot of upscale retailers on southside nor an office park even close to the extent as the one on memorial just west of may. you also dont see a gaillardia in the s.w. area.
    SW has Rivendale. They are also building a great amount of upscale neighborhoods off of SW 134th, and SE 4th Street in Moore, sorta just east of Eastern. I don't know what you mean "redevelopment" b/c the new WalMart wasn't on top of a razing. Most of this complex isn't over the top of a razing. The new Starbucks isn't on a razing. Also, I think that the two shopping centers, on either side of the road (Southern Hills, Walnut Square) have the ability to attract stores to re-fill the vacancies. More shops will bring more customers to the area. The 74th Street corridor IS thriving. Now... if you go in towards downtown, just travel a half a mile in it is a completely differant story. With slum. The only nice part of the inner south side area is a few sq miles between Santa Fe and Western, that diminish into ghetto/bario after 44th Street.

Sooner&RiceGrad Guest

I keep having to post b/c I can't edit my post, or use the quote button, or anything that takes me to a new screen b/c for somereason the new screen/ posting thing is down, the only that works is quick post.

The old Venture/K-mart building at Shields and 240 needs to be razed. The only thing there now is Circuit City, a western clothing store and a few small stores. Circuit City is moving to the old Wal-Mart site, so there will be nothing good left there. Circuit city was facing the parking lot, not 240 or shields which makes no sense at all. The stores last time I was there weren't in that great a shape either.
    There is a Furrs, that is EXTREMELY busy.

I hope the developers are looking at the Crossroads area east of I-35 for the new Circuit City store or perhaps in the Riverwalk in Moore. I'm glad they are planning to relocate that store. With all the good things happening, they really need to look at redeveloping Shields Plaza or tear it down altogether to free up land for new development. That particular area is a real eyesore.
    They are. Eastern Avenue in Moore is really booming, they are building tons of new subdivisions around 27th Street (104th) and Eastern, and Sooner and 74th Street. Sooner Road is getting alot of commerical development too. There is an interesting looking glass office building off of that intersection that is brand new. As for the Shilds Plaza idea, I think that is just great, but your forgeting that Shields is a stretch of trailer parks, slum housing, and vacant bars. I take that back, around 89th Street is a small enclave around the Brookside Golf Course. That is about 3 blocks, plus a new apartment complex.

Jay Guest

where is the southside starbucks or am I confused?

Patrick Guest

It isn't there yet.....they're planning on building one around the 74th (I-240) and Penn area.

Jay Guest

I do know of a few rumors for the Shields Plaza Center.

1.a Hotel developer was eyeing that corner, they wanted to demolish the center along with the circuit city store and use the whole corner.

2. An Apartment company wanted the corner for section 8 housing.

3. The center would be redeveloped and circuit city would be moved to the center. Barnes and Noble along with a few other unamed retailers would be located there as well.

Keep in mind these are only rumors nothing in stone.

I do know one fact about the area.

ODOT was to begin a widening and reconfiguration of I-240 and Shields this past fall. As we all know that has not started. As soon as this was completed the rebuild of the I-240 and I-35 interchange will occur. I read this in the Oklahoman last spring. I am thinking ODOT is waiting on Circuit City to move so they can demolish the store to add additonal lanes. Since the store sets so close to the road.

Sooner&RiceGrad Guest

Any apartments in that area will practically be tenements. Retail would be much nicer. Good news release.

jenncole Guest

I am not sure, some of you may have already tried this before, but I thought I would give it a shot. I emailed the General Manager of Crossroads Mall and told him about some of the major concerns we have about that mall.

I mentioned the mall needed to undergo a major renovation and since Macerich was redeveloping other malls ( i.e. Queens Center in NY and Valley View Center in Dallas) across the nation, they could renovate Crossroads too. I asked him other things such as...

Does Macerich plan a major renovation of the mall in the next 2-5 years??

I stated to him that 10 mile demographics show that the average Household Income is at nearly $54,000. I even told him, Crossroads can be another Penn Square Mall of Oklahoma City.

I got a email back but he dodged every single question I asked him.

He simply stated that they had Crossroads completed a $1M center court remodel in the last 14 months including a children's play area and carousel and how they have been very pleased with the results. Macerich has the best security program in the shopping center industry, he stated.

Simpy he didn't really care about what OKC citizens thought of Crossroads. Something tells me he only cares about making $$$ in his own pocket. Seems as though he thinks Steve and Barry's will solve all the mall's problems.

I think it would make him think, if he received emails from alot of people telling him to renovate that mall. Here is his contact info:

James W. Swenson
    Jim.Swenson@macerich.com
    (405) 631-4422

Patrick Guest

jenncole,

Thanks for including this. Yeah, it's unfortunate that management at Crossroads doesn't care what OKC citizens think. Kind of the opposite of Penn Square and Quail Springs management. Unfortunately, emails won't help. Neither will telling them directly what's wrong.

Your response is the same I've gotten from them. Except, I've gotten that response, not only via email, but in person. I will admit, they are super nice people, but they haven't got a clue! Christi Parks is who I usually talk to out there. She's the marketing director. She's super nice, but she blames the mall's state on other factors.....any excuse she can come up with at the time. She always dodges the issues. She'd probably blame it on the age of the building if she could.....only problem there is Penn Square is much older than Crossroads (Penn is the city's oldest mall....Shepherd used to be, but it's no longer a retail mall).

$1 million is a drop in the bucket for mall renovations. Penn Square ended up spending $12-15 million on their last renovations. The fountain in center court alone cost half a million. I don't have the facts on Quail Springs, but I'd imagine they spent at least that much. Probably more since they completely expanded the food court, and had to add skylights, which Penn already had.

Penn Square is working on infrastructure now. They're spending a few mill to replace all of the HVAC units. Next they're going to tackle the roof.

If Crossroads wants to compete, they're simply going to have to invest more money into their mall. Granted, the renovations at center court were a start. Crossroads needs improved lighting, tile floor (to cover the glazed concrete), new railings, a fake ceiling, more skylights, a real food court, etc. Right now Crossroads looks like a warehouse or dungeon. It's dark, dirty, smelly, etc.

A lot of a mall's success has partyl to do with atmosphere. Crossroads just isn't creating that atmosphere.

I think management at Crossroads probably knows what's wrong....they just don't want to invest the money....they'd rather suck every cent out of the mall the way it is, rather than invest more into the mall.

The more you invest in a mall, the more you get in return. Rent at Quail and Penn is a lot higher than Crossroads. Plus, both malls are filled to capacity. So they're making up the money they invested, and then some.

Crossroads just doesn't get it!

Jay Guest

In my opinion I think Crossroads is on life support. In other words Macerich is treating the mall like many people treat thier car before they sell it or trade it. If this company was serious about making Crossroads profitable they would have invested the time and money a long time ago.

When Wards announced their closing they should have hit the ground running looking for tenants. Sears would have been an excellent canidate. The 44th Street store is old and eventually will need to be replaced.

This company has missed the boat so many times its pathetic. I hate to sound pessimistic but, I think Crossroads will be sold or see a wrecking ball before any renovation ever happens.

There are many old malls around the country that are being torn down and replaced with power centers. Power centers are the wave of the future just because we live in a one stop lifestyle. This why Wal-Mart does so well in the business of retail.

Patrick Guest

Seems like the excuse Crossroads used for the longest time was that they didn't own the Wards property. They ended up having to purchase it.

Still, that's an excuse though....during the year or so they were negotiating a deal for purchasing the Wards space, they could've gotten a tenant lined up.

Jay Guest

For all we know it was probably more likely a disagreement on price. I would be willing to bet that the store was for sale the minute Wards turned the lights off for the last time.

It sure is funny how Penn Square had no problem leasing thier Wards store. It was all a matter of clearing the bankruptcy court.

Maerich obviously wanted the store at a bargain price.

I think before long we all will hear that Macerich has sold Crossroads. From the type of response that Jenncole and Patrick have received I wouldn't be surprised if a possible deal is already in the works for a sale.

Since the property is at a major intersection, (35 & 240)... they will probably be able to sell it.. and the new owner will just get rid of this mall building and start from scratch.

lol, its funny that Patrick mentioned, that Crossroads doesn't get it. Well, I believe really truly they know that the citizens of OKC are right, but they want to spend as little as possible.. and more than likely sell the place..all they had to do was find an anchor tenant and they did with Steve and Barry's. Now, they will tell the new buyer.. look we have a anchor tenant.. try to use Steve and Barry's as a selling tool.

Patrick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by oklacity75
    For all we know it was probably more likely a disagreement on price. I would be willing to bet that the store was for sale the minute Wards turned the lights off for the last time.

It sure is funny how Penn Square had no problem leasing thier Wards store. It was all a matter of clearing the bankruptcy court.

Maerich obviously wanted the store at a bargain price.
    I will admit, Penn Square did own their Wards space so it wasn't as complicated, but your point is still valid. Even if Crossroads battled in cour forever to get control of that space (like they claimed), they still could've been lining up tenants during that time, and used strong leads to try to talk other stores into staying at the mall.

Thread Information