Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the oldest standing building/structure in OKC metro area?

Default What is the oldest standing building/structure in OKC metro area?

I assume the old school house on 2nd street in Edmond is one of the earliest...what about the OKC area??

Default Re: What is the oldest standing building/structure in OKC metro area?

This is the best I can come up with, right now..

Theres probably something else out there. I'd like to know too, so I'll poke around the ok county assesors site.

Edit: Looks like this has since been demo'd...

3. Default Re: What is the oldest standing building/structure in OKC metro area?

Quote Originally Posted by LandryTeam View Post
    I assume the old school house on 2nd street in Edmond is one of the earliest...what about the OKC area??
    ....and that old one room school near yukon. i thinks its actually in okc city limits and the street it seats on eludes right now.

Man thats too bad....that house looked amazing. Did you already know of that house or was there a way you looked it up on the county's website? Thanks for posting the pic btw!

Eddie

I know the Candy Factory in Bricktown was built prior to the 1900's.

no, I just looked it up on the county assesors site. I verified it has been demolished w/ google maps.. They have a section w/ photos of historic places.

Leonard Sullivan Oklahoma County Assessor Home Page

Thanks for the link!

8. Default Re: What is the oldest standing building/structure in OKC metro area?

Richard Mize did a great story on this several months ago. With Pete's permission, I'd like to post highlights of it here and then link to the full version of the story at NewsOk's Business Blog (this is a different one from the one I host). I will await word from Pete or a moderator before I proceed. The Candy Factory actually was built around statehood.
    - Steve

^
    i'm sure that's not gonna be a problem, steve. -M

Thanks Steve! Cant wait to see the story!

Eddie

Go for it, Steve. Never the need to ask permission for that sort of thing.

12. Default Re: What is the oldest standing building/structure in OKC metro area?

Just finishing stories on deadline. Will try to get done afterwards.

13. Default Re: What is the oldest standing building/structure in OKC metro area?

i think buildings that are 100-120 yrs. old are still very old but,i remember growing up and visiting all my family in Boston,Mass and going to my aunts house in Lexington,Mass her house was built in 1714!!! no lie if you are 6'3' or taller you had to duck under doorways like my father did! and the floorboards creeked like hell! but in the area she lived in every1 is loaded and you have to keep up to code in those historical areas, the door has to be a certain color and the house has to be upkept to the T! but isnt it amazing there are older buildings still standing in and around that area! but I guess for oklahoma pre 1900 is very historical considering the age of our state,my fav. city of oklahoma-no doubt is Guthrie! very upkept and kinda old but very pleasing to the eye!
    what is the oldest building in okc?

15. Default Re: What is the oldest standing building/structure in OKC metro area?

Boston is an incredible place to visit. Wonderful old architecture ....

FWIW, the book "Oklahoma City Rediscovered" says that the Marion Hotel building, 110 NW 10th, is one of the last pre-statehood buildings still standing in OKC. Built in 1904.

Google Street View

Back in the 80s a friend of mine lived a little beyond Airport Rd and Council in a house that was built after The Run. Don't know if that is too far out to count and I'm not sure it is still standing. However, if it would count, I will try to get ahold of him and see if he knows if it is still standing.

What about the Wells Fargo building in Bricktown.... I thought I had read somewhere that it was a pre-state hood building.....

The WH Stewart Co. buildings in Bricktown were originally the horse livery for the US Cavalry that protected OK, IT.

It's probably not *the* oldest, but Old North on the UCO campus was finished in 1893. UCO Archives & Special Collections at Chambers Library

That's a neat old building, scoot. Had a few classes in it. Apparently, they discovered some serious structural infirmities in the early 00's which are apparently just now being remedied. My information, of course, is second or third hand (and I heard it several years ago), so maybe unreliable, but it's my understanding that while the building was getting its new roof and windows, it was discovered that at some point, someone had actually cut some of the main supporting beams in the roof area. Other infirmities were found and the building, since then, has been declared too dangerous to inhabit.

Back then, I understood the repair cost to be in the 7-million dollar range.

A little Googling tells me that the legislature authorized bonds to cover that cost and the repairs were supposed to have been completed last August. Anyone know if the building has reopened?

Old North isn't even the oldest building in Edmond though, that honor belongs to the old schoolhouse on 124 E. 2nd Street, which you might recall operated as a camera shop (I think it was Sanders' Camera Shop) into the early 80's after which it was essentially abandoned. In recent years, it was refurbished and is now a museum of sorts run by (I believe) the Edmond Historical Society.

More info on Old North. The renovation money never materialized. They still need about 6 million dollars to complete it. It's in no danger of collapse. The structure is in tact, just not ready to be inhabited.

UCO recently recouped 2 million by coming in well under-budget on the recently built transformative learning center. That'll be applied and I guess they'll continue to attempt to get the money for this.

When completed, the building will have 50-something offices, a few classrooms, and apparently, the Office of the President is supposed to relocate there from the admin building.

24. Default Re: What is the oldest standing building/structure in OKC metro area?

I'm glad to hear the president's office will be moving into Old North. I've always seen that building as the heart of UCO, and it's a shame it's not functioning that way.

I like this thread - great idea. I find it an interesting topic as my grandmother's house was built in 1905 according to the County Assessor's site - her house is in Edmond.

Thread Information