440 NW 11th
    Official Website
    Menu
    Facebook Page
    Yelp
    Urban Spoon

Information & Latest News

Gallery

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cdb2.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	5958   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cdb1.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	5957   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cdb3.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	5959   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cdb4.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	8.6 KB 
ID:	5960  

Default Re: Cafe do Brazil

Get the picanha brasileira. The steak and the sides served with it are excellent

Default Re: Cafe do Brazil

Tuna Sandwich - a little spicy but delicious.

Also they have a great brunch - for something lighter, I recommend the fruit bowl thingie (don't remember what its called, and like you - I'm too lazy to look it up!)

Default Re: Cafe do Brasil

Anybody have an idea when the Bossa Nova bar is finally going to reopen?

Was supposed to happen months ago.

Blog Entries

Not sure about this but there's now outdoor seating along walker (couldn't remember if we had this before or not). I looked up at the bassa nova space and it didn't look like anyone was up there...

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Not sure about this but there's now outdoor seating along walker (couldn't remember if we had this before or not). I looked up at the bassa nova space and it didn't look like anyone was up there...
    There's been outdoor seating there as long as I can remember.

Blog Entries

ah okay, oops

9. Default Re: Cafe do Brasil

This was taken by a friend of mine not too long ago. Looks like they open September 9th.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11053146_1235846859774323_7321683258950572758_n.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	11381

Yes, they've been having soft openings and are Tweeting that 9/9 is their day to reopen Bossa Nova.

Can't wait to see the new space... I know it will be very different.

11. Default Re: Cafe do Brasil

I got an invite to a soft opening night last week and didn't see it until the next day. Beeeeeeeyyooooo

Default Three cheers for Cafe do Brasil!

I just wanted to throw out props for a great and unplanned trip to Cafe do Brasil that my wife and I enjoyed last Friday.

We had actually intended to try Empire Slice House, but we arrived too late and were faced with a nearly two-hour wait. So we drove east, just looking for...somewhere...as we had just gotten tired of the normal routine of chains and stuff. We wanted something different. We thought about McNellie's, but for whatever reason it didn't strike our fancy...and as we (well, I) was getting tired of driving and looking, we ended up in front of the Cafe.

We went in knowing next to nothing about the place, but came out just knocked out having had a wonderful meal and feeling SO appreciated as a customer! It's so rare these days.

I had this awesome dish called Romeo & Julieta, which was a cheese-stuffed pork steak in phillo dough served with spinach risotto. It was stinking spectacular. I don't recall the menu name for my wife's dinner, but it was a beautiful steak and rice with plaintains.

The atmosphere was talky but pleasant, a bit of live music in the background - and at one point he even asked us if he was playing too loud - (he was literally only about ten feet from our table), and we assured him we loved the music.

Bottom line, I thought it only appropriate to give props to a local place that gave us a wonderful and unexpected treat. And given that we were right across the street from Insomnia Cookies, it couldn't have worked out better

Looks like Midtown Renaissance acquired this property back in December for $3 million and already started work on it. Great to see an obviously good owner pick this one up.

Midtown Renaissance
    @MidtownR
    We are excited to announce that we have acquired the property at 440 NW 11th St and have begun the restoration process! Stay tuned for more information and updates on this project.
    The property also includes the parking lot to the east. MidtownR now owns that entire block.

For some reason I always assumed this was just a stucco building or house (whatever it was back in the day) lol. Cool to see what’s underneath.

that gives MidtownR control of this entire block i believe .. maybe with the exception of a small section in the SE corner ..

17. Default Re: Cafe do Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    For some reason I always assumed this was just a stucco building or house (whatever it was back in the day) lol. Cool to see what’s underneath.
    It was a mortuary. If you ever ate at Cafe do Brasil, when you walked into the dining room there was sort of an awkward transition between the entry and the floor of the dining room, which required walking down several steps. If you turned right before walking down the steps there was an alcove that was used as a seating area, but if viewed from the dining room (and you knew the history of the building) it would become obvious that the alcove was actually a viewing area for open casket services.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    It was a mortuary. If you ever ate at Cafe do Brasil, when you walked into the dining room there was sort of an awkward transition between the entry and the floor of the dining room, which required walking down several steps. If you turned right before walking down the steps there was an alcove that was used as a seating area, but if viewed from the dining room (and you knew the history of the building) it would become obvious that the alcove was actually a viewing area for open casket services.
    . . knew it was a mortuary but didn't think about the purpose of the alcove. . . now I can't get the memory of the meal I consumed "up there"

That's why we always ate outside

20. Default Re: Cafe do Brasil

Anyone have any history on the building? Build date, name of mortuary, when it closed for those purposes? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    That’s right! I forgot about that too

22. Default Re: Cafe do Brasil

According to the county assessor’s site it was built in 1938, but using the few city directories I could find online show Garrison Funeral Home operating in that same location as far back as 1929. So 1938 could possibly be an expansion/remodel, but more likely it was a ground-up new build on the site of an existing funeral home business.

23. Default Re: Cafe do Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    Anyone have any history on the building? Build date, name of mortuary, when it closed for those purposes? Just curious.
    Had a little time and found this: https://journalrecord.com/2009/07/th...233-do-brasil/

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    ^

Thank you! How interesting.

From that JR article:

The building, now home to Café do Brasil, housed the Garrison Funeral Home from the 1930s until 1978. Built in 1908, it was added onto by the Garrison family in 1938.
    The finished product was a two-story, Spanish mission-style structure with white exterior walls and a red tiled roof.

The two-story Garrison Funeral Home had a crematorium, storage for bodies, a large chapel and upstairs apartments. The building sat vacant from the late 1970s until 2000, when a group attempted a renovation for a spa. Those plans were abandoned and the building sat surrounded by other ailing and vacant buildings in the area.
    The couple set to work on renovations in 2004, but escalating costs slowed the project and it was not completed until late 2005 when the restaurant reopened in its new space. It now houses the restaurant and bar and his law office.

wow... it had apartments?! i'm not an overly superstitious person, but i'd have to be in pretty dire need to live over a funeral home. i'm sure it was built for the family that operated the business... but, still.

my great grandmother's funeral was in this building in 1957, so it was definitely operating as a funeral home then. my mom refused to eat at cafe do brazil for that reason.

Thread Information