Widgets Magazine
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: The Oklahoma City History Center

  1. Default The Oklahoma City History Center

    About that, my report is here: Doug Dawgz Blog: The Oklahoma City History Center

    Of course, we don't have one.

    Why not? Bartlesville has had one since 1965:





    So, why don't we?

    The article also reports on a little-known park in downtown, the Clarence Ford Park,
    from its beginnings through the pictures that I took today ...



    ... where precious artifacts left over from urban renewal are deteriorating ...

    Larger: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49...enceford04.jpg



    Larger: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49...enceford14.jpg



    Oklahoma City has the stuff for an outstanding history museum. It needs to happen.

  2. #2

    Default Re: The Oklahoma City History Center

    It takes a great catastrophe to unite OKCity-ans. If it is not bothering their little world they just don't care. Think of all the things we lost as a result of Urban Renewal. Has the old weather service bldg on Classen at least been given a plaque?

  3. Default Re: The Oklahoma City History Center

    Quote Originally Posted by papaOU View Post
    It takes a great catastrophe to unite OKCity-ans. If it is not bothering their little world they just don't care. Think of all the things we lost as a result of Urban Renewal. Has the old weather service bldg on Classen at least been given a plaque?
    I'd suppose so ... it is presently owned by an Oklahoma City lawyer and I'd be amazed if either he or someone else hasn't appropriately "plaqued" the building.

    I think that Oklahoma City may be different about caring for history today than it was before urban renewal. After that time, it seems to me that many started thinking more about the things we lost, and that many began to take what remained as more important than they once did. Following MAPS, the city at large began to have more pride in our city than they did before. Certainly, that was true for me.

    Now, whether the increased sense of pride and/or historical preservation converts to an interest in Oklahoma City history, sufficient to warrant a museum and/or center where parents, kids, anyone could go and view for themselves, in person, things gone by, I don't know.

    But, I'd certainly like to discover if such an interest exists, and I would lend my own time and talents toward the establishment of such a place, were I to be invited to do so.

    How about you? How about you all?

  4. #4

    Default Re: The Oklahoma City History Center

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Loudenback View Post
    But, I'd certainly like to discover if such an interest exists, and I would lend my own time and talents toward the establishment of such a place, were I to be invited to do so.

    How about you? How about you all?
    I think it is an idea that is timely. Oklahoma has a fascinating history and because it is a young state with a lot of home growns, a lot of the things that are part of our state history are also parts of the family history of mau of its people. I think it would be a great asset to the area.

  5. #5

    Default Re: The Oklahoma City History Center

    This is exactly the kind of thing I'd be interested in (aside from the fact that I dislike museums). I keep trying to find an Oklahoma History tour, which has been, so far, unsuccessful. I disagree that some big disaster has to happen before anyone sits up and notices what we're missing. I think you just have to hit the right people's ears with this idea. Who those people are, I'm not sure. I'd start with someone at the Convention and Visitor's Bureau (or whatever they call it here). It's more likely to take off if someone can figure out how to turn it in to a tourist spot that will make money. (Hint: our crazy weather - and what it's done for changing the landscape of the city - could go a long way toward attracting visitors.)

  6. Default Re: The Oklahoma City History Center

    Steve Lackmeyer has been talking about doing something with some others who are Okc history buffs (as he puts it) for some time now. In a comment to my my blog article, he said,

    Doug, I think what we can tell people is there are a small core group of us history buffs in the process of seeing what opportunities lie ahead. Our first task is to get us all together now that I've talked with you and the others about some core beliefs and ideals.

    We'll meet, try to get this baby born, learn to crawl, then to walk, and then run. Getting one of these going isn't easy or quick.

    But I think once our core group is assembled (which I and others have been doing), I think then we'll be ready to unveil it to the world and see what support it gets.
    He's right, of course, about learning to crawl, etc. OK, so let's get on with the learning. My reply to his comment:

    OK, then. Let's meet ... this week if that's doable. I'm hoping that this article will be helpful as giving food for thought.
    The blog article has been updated to include information stemming from a commenter there about what has been done in Austin, as food for thought.

  7. #7

    Default Re: The Oklahoma City History Center

    He's right about the slow process. I'm glad to see it could be gathering some steam. Somewhere. In the deep recesses...

  8. #8

    Default Re: The Oklahoma City History Center

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Loudenback View Post
    I'd suppose so ... it is presently owned by an Oklahoma City lawyer and I'd be amazed if either he or someone else hasn't appropriately "plaqued" the building.

    I think that Oklahoma City may be different about caring for history today than it was before urban renewal. After that time, it seems to me that many started thinking more about the things we lost, and that many began to take what remained as more important than they once did. Following MAPS, the city at large began to have more pride in our city than they did before. Certainly, that was true for me.

    Now, whether the increased sense of pride and/or historical preservation converts to an interest in Oklahoma City history, sufficient to warrant a museum and/or center where parents, kids, anyone could go and view for themselves, in person, things gone by, I don't know.

    But, I'd certainly like to discover if such an interest exists, and I would lend my own time and talents toward the establishment of such a place, were I to be invited to do so.

    How about you? How about you all?
    I am definitely interested. I just have one problem. If I were to get involved in such a venture should it be for OKC or Capitol Hill where I was born and raised and seems to definitely lack any form of historical documentation.
    It's a question as well has time ran out for Capitol Hill. The Beacon has a booklet of old news stories but nothing as far as a true historical publication. Don't think anyone does.

    I always make it a point to relay the story to others that if not for an elderly lady who was on the ball, we would have lost the Wells Fargo station.

    I hope I did not get off topic by speaking of Capitol Hill but I think you would understand my situation.

  9. Default Re: The Oklahoma City History Center

    Quote Originally Posted by papaOU View Post
    I am definitely interested. I just have one problem. If I were to get involved in such a venture should it be for OKC or Capitol Hill where I was born and raised and seems to definitely lack any form of historical documentation.
    It's a question as well has time ran out for Capitol Hill. The Beacon has a booklet of old news stories but nothing as far as a true historical publication. Don't think anyone does.

    I always make it a point to relay the story to others that if not for an elderly lady who was on the ball, we would have lost the Wells Fargo station.

    I hope I did not get off topic by speaking of Capitol Hill but I think you would understand my situation.
    It's not off topic at all, but at this point, the particular kinds of things you mentioned are premature since it's not been determined whether, how, or when "this" (whatever "this" initially is) will all come down or the initial form that it will take. See the item I quoted from Steve in the blog's comments, quoted above.

    You do raise an important point, though -- definition of the area to be included. I would fully expect all areas of the city ... perhaps county, who knows, would be included. The Criterion Group which is apparently now inactive had its focus on historical preservation, not presentation. I'm fairly certain that its own "boundary" was the area inside the old Grand Boulevard which circumvented the city and, of course ran through Capitol Hill.

    In any event, inclusiveness, not exclusiveness, would be the only way to go, in my opinion. Any other approach would be very misguided. There are bound to be Capitol Hill artifacts, photos, oral histories, whatever, that are just waiting to be found.

  10. #10

    Default Re: The Oklahoma City History Center

    Count me in as part of an OKC group and will see what evolves..................

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Core To Shore gets one step closer
    By metro in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 88
    Last Post: 06-09-2009, 03:28 PM
  2. Okie Socialists
    By Doug Loudenback in forum Politics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-10-2008, 05:26 PM
  3. $50 OK History Center opens near state capitol
    By Pete in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-28-2005, 07:48 AM
  4. Farewell Oklahoma City! I'll Miss Living Here!
    By okcpulse in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-09-2005, 09:10 PM
  5. Is OKC Still Pursuing NBA/NHL Team
    By JOHNINSOKC in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 111
    Last Post: 09-22-2005, 11:34 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO