Widgets Magazine

Thread: Chesapeake expects rebound

Default Chesapeake expects rebound

http://newsok.com/chesapeake-ceo-dra...ad_story_title

Chesapeake CEO: Dramatic natural gas price rebound expected
    BY RANDY ELLIS

Current low natural gas prices are setting the stage for a dramatic price rebound that should begin this fall or winter, Chesapeake Energy Corp.’s chief executive officer told analysts Tuesday.

"Today’s gas prices are clearly not strong enough to support a North American rig count that is high enough to prevent a very severe and unprecedented decline in North American gas production,” Aubrey K. McClendon said.

"This will set the stage for a dramatic reversal of natural gas prices sometime this fall or winter,” he said.

"How high will gas prices go in the recovery and rebound phase in the next cycle? Obviously, we don’t know. But clearly, gas prices were too high one year ago at $12 to $13 per thousand cubic feet, and today they are far too low at $3.50 per thousand cubic feet,” he said. "So my guess is the rebound will overshoot on the high side, just as it has overshot on the low side.”

McClendon said if there is a surprise, it likely will be that natural gas prices rebound sooner rather than later.

McClendon said he considers $6 to $7 per thousand cubic feet to be the low end range of normalized pricing and $8 to $9 per thousand cubic feet to be mid-range of normalized pricing.

Tony Say, president of the Oklahoma City gas marketing company Clearwater Enterprises, said he doesn’t totally agree with McClendon’s prediction.

"I don’t see the dramatic rise he sees,” Say said.

Say said a lot depends on the economy, but he expects a more gradual rebound in prices that would begin in early or mid-2010, and perhaps even later than that.

McClendon made his prediction to analysts and reporters during a conference call Tuesday that was timed to follow Monday’s release of Chesapeake’s first quarter financial results.

Although the company recorded a $5.746 billion first quarter loss, McClendon said that was caused by a "write-down under the conservatism of full cost accounting” and said the company had a "very solid operational and financial performance” during the quarter.

Despite selling $5.2 billion in producing assets during the past year, Chesapeake was still able to produce 2.367 billion cubic feet per day of natural gas equivalent, which was a 5 percent increase over the same quarter a year earlier, he said.

McClendon also said other companies still owe Chesapeake about $4 billion in drilling carries from previous asset sales, which means those other companies will be paying drilling costs on projects where Chesapeake will be operating the wells and sharing in the production benefits.

McClendon said "things are going great” in regards to production results from wells Chesapeake has drilled in four large shale formations.

The company has drilled three new wells in the Haynesville formation capable of initial gas production rates for more than 20 million cubic feet per day, two wells in the Barnett formation that have been producing more than 9.5 million cubic feet a day and two wells in the Marcellus formation that are producing at rates of 6 and 7 million cubic feet per day, McClendon said.

And in the Fayetteville formation, Chesapeake’s last 30 operated wells appear to be producing 30 percent better than the company’s 2.2 billion cubic feet equivalent per day expectation, he said.

Commenting on recent critical news media accounts of his receiving a $75 million bonus in January, McClendon said he found those reports "a bit surprising” since the company had disclosed the bonus and reasoning for it in a Securities and Exchange Commission filing last January. McClendon said he also e-mailed a copy of the report to about 45 analysts, large shareholders and reporters at the time and "did not receive back a single complaint.”

Default Re: Chesapeake expects rebound

Is it truth or just wishful thinking?

This is slightly reminiscent of T. Boone Pickens' self-serving remarks regarding oil climbing to ridiculously high prices.

I vote wishful thinking. Besides, what else do we expect them to say? Yeah, the rumors are true. We'll likely be taken over by BP or some random Chinese energy company. Ol' dude should have spent his company's money more wisely.

It must be said that if McClendon was an accurate predictor of the future, he wouldn't have lost billions within a couple of weeks due to a margin call.

Energy prices will always fluctuate greatly and the most important thing is how a company fares during the rough periods. I hope CHK has a good plan in place in case prices don't rise dramatically.

I second that Pete. Natural gas storage levels are 30% what they are usually are, and we are entering a period (summer, early fall) where natural gas prices are usually on the decline. I hope they at least have a contigency plan, because a "dramatic rise" in prices I think is a little wishful thinking on their part.

From what I am told (not even close to an expert here), CHK has long-term contracts priced at pre-bust levels. Rather than selling their product for the maximum amount when they could have, they chose a more moderate price in exchange for longer term contracts. This will help them through the rough times better than most.

Funny how people that will never see a billion dollars in their life think they are smarter than the guy who lost a couple billion in a week. Not saying that anyone on here is that way. I'm just talking the general public.

We had all better hope, for the good of our great city, that they sail through this ****storm without incident.

I know at least one of those hedged contracts (a big one) was hedged with Lehman Brothers.

That was a bit of a cheap shot by me and not very nice...

It's just that it seems OKC in many ways has become dependent on Chesapeake and I'm starting to worry that Aubrey is getting a little too caught up in his own hype and betting too much on something that might not come to pass.

I shudder to think what would happen to the local economy and that area of town if things came off the rails for them.

I've always worried about CHK much much more than Devon. Just a feeling I've had for some time in observing the way they do business and handle things in general.

But of course, I wish them every success.

9. Default Re: Chesapeake expects rebound

I'm sure it's somewhere in-between Aubrey and the guy that thinks further out. Energy prices will always be volatile.

But think about this- all of the fundamental energy problems that helped to drive prices so high are still there as far as the commercial revolutions in China and India right now and the increasing difficulty of finding "easy" oil. If we're smart, we'll begin to shift more toward CNG for energy and away from oil. I doubt we'll get that high again any time soon because we'll remember this lesson for a decade or so before forgetting it...but as far as hydrocarbons go, we're still in trouble as a country. Which is good for CHK, DEV, SandRidge, and OKC in general.

10. Default Re: Chesapeake expects rebound

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    I second that Pete. Natural gas storage levels are 30% what they are usually are, and we are entering a period (summer, early fall) where natural gas prices are usually on the decline. I hope they at least have a contigency plan, because a "dramatic rise" in prices I think is a little wishful thinking on their part.
    If it's only 30% of normal capacity...I doubt we're using 70% less energy than normal....seems like that low supply will help provide the boost later this year or early next year?

OKCMallen, I agree. Same goes with the economy/stock market. When it was at the low, it was down 57% from last year. Companies like Chesapeake, Devon, etc. surely aren't worth less than half they were last year, considering the US continues to have more and more citizens as time goes on. The economy is ever expanding. Unemployment only went up around 5%, so why did we devalue the stock market by more than half? We're not using half as much gas as we were when it was $4. Doesn't add up, it's fearmongering and panic is what's causing the great fluxuation in prices. Unfortunately, I see this trend continuing as most people are lazy and don't research things themselves and let the media tell them what to do. I see the markets becoming more volatile in the future with big swings in both directions.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    OKCMallen, I agree. Same goes with the economy/stock market. When it was at the low, it was down 57% from last year. Companies like WalMart, CocaCola, Home Depot, etc. surely aren't worth less than half they were last year, considering the US continues to have more and more citizens as time goes on. The economy is ever expanding. Unemployment only went up less than 5%, so why did we devalue everything by more than half? Doesn't add up, it's fearmongering and panic is what's causing the great fluxuation in prices. Unfortunately, I see this trend continuing as most people are lazy and don't research things themselves and let the media tell them what to do. I see the markets becoming more volatile in the future with big swings in both directions.
    Sounds to me like you're the one who hasn't done his research.

Thread Information