Widgets Magazine

Thread: Mama Roja

MadMonk Guest

Default Mama Roja

Okay, me and two other hungry buddies went to Mama Roja's for lunch on Friday so here's my quick review:

Pretty decent food, service was very friendly, took a little longer than I like before our food came and they are just a tiny bit pricey compared to the many other Tex-Mex restaurants nearby.

I had the lunch burrito and it was a good portion, not too big, not to small, though I would have preferred one with shredded beef rather than ground beef (but I didn't ask for it when I ordered). It was tasty all the same.

The other guys ordered the two-taco lunch and the cheese & onion burrito. We were all pretty happy with our food, though the beans on the side weren't all that great. Everyone liked the rice. Next time I'll just order double rice and no beans.

The salsas - we tried 3 of the 4. My favorite is the warm roasted pepper salsa. The basic red salsa is good too. Both were pretty mild. The habanero salsa had a nice kick, but it also had an odd flavor that I didn't care for.

Chips - great tortilla chips that were warm and salty - just like I like 'em. Never had a stale chip and we never ran out. Also had corn tortillas with the standard jalapeno/carrot/onion relish you find everywhere. All good stuff.

Great atmosphere. The weather didn't cooperate on Friday so we ate indoors, but the outdoor bar area looks like it will be a nice place to hang out on warm summer evenings.

Dislikes:
    As mentioned before, it took a while for us to get our lunch items, though we had plenty of chips and salsa to keep us busy. In fact we were all pretty full on chips/salsa by the time our food arrived.

Limited lunch menu. It just didn't seem like there was much to choose from for lunch. I like to try things a little different at lunch. A wider variety would be nice.

In summary, I don't think it will be the lunch menu that differentiates this restaurant. It's good, but not "OMG I gotta come back" good. The draw for this place will be the atmosphere with the nice views of the lake and patio dining during good weather. Also, to be fair, note that I've only been here for lunch, so dinner may be a different experience.

2. Default Re: Mama Roja

Ate there last night, pricey drinks, little bit slow, but we really liked the food. Does anyone know if it's a local venture, or just another chain in the chain capitol of the country?

Thread Information