Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: OKC Exotic Cars

Default Re: OKC Exotic Cars

Quote Originally Posted by BricktownGuy View Post
    Related post here.....

Does the OKC state fair.. include a car show this year? It doesnt seem to be listed on the state fair website.
    The map shows DriveOKC.com Auto Show.

http://www.okstatefair.com/documents...ithOEH_WEB.pdf

Technically is it never been a true car show. It is just a display area for the car manufactures to show off the latest models and concept cars. I expect to see a smaller presence from GM and Chrysler because of their financial situations. Toyota and Ford will probably dominate the fair this year, epecially since Toyota and Ford are pushing their crossover and hybrid models.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Do Miatas count as an exotic car?
    Definitely not.

Do Miatas count as an exotic car?
    Only when they come equipped with ass chaps and nipple rings.... LOL

(but they handle EXTREMELY well! Seriously)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSkater View Post
    Only when they come equipped with ass chaps and nipple rings.... LOL

(but they handle EXTREMELY well! Seriously)
    The car or the dude in the car with the chaps and nipple rings?

Nope, Miatas aren't exotic, I considered them as I fit in them better than the Honda S2000 but I fit better in the BMW Z4 than the other two Japanese options, my size was not S2000 friendly. That is why it pretty much came down to the C5 Corvette and the Z4 for convertibles, ...and none of those are exotics.

To me there has been one BMW exotic, the M1 (production of 456 road cars), the Z8 is borderline exotic (production of 5,703 cars). My lowly Z4 comes nowhere close (180,856 roadsters and 17,094 coupes), mine is also an "American made" German car, being assembled in Spartanburg, South Carolina. The updated 2010 Z4's are made in Germany, the Spartanburg plant is being expanded and only the "X" SAV models are being assembled there during/after the plant expansion.

So who all mainly drives these cute, little two seater sport cars, exotic or not? I think it's mainly chicks, gays, and old guys 45-50 and older. Like I'll never forget the time I was coming out of a restaurant and noticed an old retired looking couple stepping into a late model Miata. But once one is past 80 or so and overweight, it may be too much of an ordeal to expect an older person to get in and out of one of those cars.

I'm 45, married/straight and bought my Z4 this year, I did have an RX-7 six years ago with an F-150 in between. I enjoy performance cars but buy what is is affordable.

Around here I see about 80% men driving Z3/Z4's, Corvettes, Miata's and S2000's. The one that I do see with a higher percentage of female drivers is the Audi TT and the first gen Miata's. The S2000's seem to attract a little younger crowd but mostly men. The S2000 is a great little car, but it is little, the door pushes into my arm. I also see many Miata's being used for autocross and Spec Miata racing, SM is one of the largest classes in SCCA and NASA racing. I have been considering getting a Miata to build as an SM race car.

Of course I am old enough to remember a time when small sports cars were considered "men's cars" and would still like to own a few of them. It is ridiculous to think you have to drive a monster truck to "be a man". Most of the men I see driving huge pickups seem to be dealing with "small man syndrome" by over compensating with a vehicle. Most of the gay men that I have known drive a little bit of everything, Dodge Magnum, Honda CRV and Fit, Scion xB, Jeep, VW Jetta and one drove a "monster truck". The type of vehicle you drive says absolutely NOTHING about your sexuality, that is something that insecure people tend to think.

any1 see the yellow Acura NSX in Norman?, I see it about once or twice a month! I love the body style of the NSX!

Haven't seen that particular NSX. A friend used to own an orange one but she sold it a few years back. Definitely a nice ride.

I haven't seen that NSX but you can't beat an NSX for the money. Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better than any corvette/camaro/miata, etc. Not even in the same league as the NSX.

But is it considered an exotic car?

Quote Originally Posted by RedDirt717 View Post
    The car or the dude in the car with the chaps and nipple rings?

The car!

BlueDog: I also see many Miata's being used for autocross and Spec Miata racing, SM is one of the largest classes in SCCA and NASA racing. I have been considering getting a Miata to build as an SM race car.
    All I know is that there were some chumps on a car forum I used to post on who would rag on the miatas saying they were a gay man's car. I had heard they were used for racing and did extremely well. Something about the perfect weight distribution and size....

Again, to echo other's on here, I doubt very seriously if a car preference is relative to sexual preferences...

But is it considered an exotic car?
    I'd say so, at least much more than a corvette would be. Every 40-something year old doctor, lawyer or bald headed guy in america has a corvette. You don't see too many NSX's floating around, not to mention they start with a heftier price tag and are made in less production. They are much more limited. It's basically an entry model ferrari.

Yes, an NSX is a fairly exotic car and even used are quite a bit more than a used Corvette or the same vintage. A Corvette of the same vintage can outperform an NSX there is an exclusivity factor that even the rarer model Corvette that cost as much as some exotics (like the Corvette ZR1 which starts at $105,670) don't have because they are based on a higher production model. As far as performance for the dollar cars like the Corvette, Mustang GT, Miata, S2000, Subaru WRX and such are much better bargains but there is something special about an exclusive vehicle.

I saw a Black Lambo today on I-35! it was awesome! weird how it was going the speed limit????

Smile Re: OKC Exotic Cars

everyone has their opinion, its what makes the world go around. I certainly don't fit the mold of the average "fat, balding, middle aged" guy going through mid life crisis. I've basically had a vette since i was 30. Im in better shape now than a lot of people who are 20 and i still have all of my naturally brown hair too. When i first bought the C5 and lived in Norman people would pull up next to me and say "tell your dad he has a nice car" which i found funny, cause it was my car and i appreciated that people thought i was younger than i looked. Still do.

I've seen the yellow NSX guy in Norman too, he would generally wave at me and of course i returned the wave back. Those were nice and rare cars and way ahead of their time. As for Lotus, i would take an Esprit over the new model, there is one in my neighborhood and its pretty nice. There is also a Ferrari about a mile from me but thats another story, nice car though.

I wouldn't call a corvette an "exotic" car, at least here in America. It's a "sports" car, whereas cars like the new Camaro, Challenger, and Mustang are all "muscle" cars. The thing about the Vette is, its made here, we see them all over the place, so no way is it exotic. Can it perform with real "exotic" cars? You bet...190 mph for my base car and 12 second quarter mile times is pretty quick. Try over 200 mph and 11 sec 1/4 for the ZR1 and your in pretty elite company. Has the vette come a long way in the last 20 years? Oh yeah, its a totally different animal than it was the first time i rode in one. The quality is 100% better and there is a good reason it is compared with the Porsche 911 in several industry tests. Im not saying it is a better car, just pointing out the comparisons. Exotic, maybe not. Unless you see it in London or Korea or somewhere where it stands out, then its as exotic to those folks as a new Gallardo would be to us here.

Anyway to each their own. Some of my neighbors have pickup trucks that cost more than my vette

I saw a silver Lamb convertible today in Moore.

Quote Originally Posted by stratosphere View Post
    Anyway to each their own. Some of my neighbors have pickup trucks that cost more than my vette
    Yep, I get some crap from contractors about my BMW Z4, I then proceed to tell them that I bought it at half the price (or even less) of what most of them paid for their fully loaded pickups, even new that model was in the same price range as the SuperDuty pickups. A 2003 model with 45,000 miles, bought last April for 15,000, a little less than the C5 convertibles I was looking at. An electrical engineer that we work with is wanting one now after what I told him they were going for.

Quote Originally Posted by okclee View Post
    I saw a silver Lamb convertible today in Moore.
    saw a yellow Gallardo convertible on Hefner parkway today heading south around 3:30 or so. Now that is one nice car!! Im not into yellow, but damn.

Talking Re: OKC Exotic Cars

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    Yep, I get some crap from contractors about my BMW Z4, I then proceed to tell them that I bought it at half the price (or even less) of what most of them paid for their fully loaded pickups, even new that model was in the same price range as the SuperDuty pickups. A 2003 model with 45,000 miles, bought last April for 15,000, a little less than the C5 convertibles I was looking at. An electrical engineer that we work with is wanting one now after what I told him they were going for.
    There you go, and not to mention the fact that people really look at you like you are crazy when you tell them the gas mileage you get in your car.

Quote Originally Posted by stratosphere View Post
    There you go, and not to mention the fact that people really look at you like you are crazy when you tell them the gas mileage you get in your car.
    I would get 17/19 in my F-150, I average about 25 in town with the Z4 and have had as high as 37 mpg on a highway trip and I don't drive to get good gas mileage. Still not as good as my motorcycle though, 45/55, not bad for a 955cc triple (Triumph Sprint ST).

Thumbs up Re: OKC Exotic Cars

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    I would get 17/19 in my F-150, I average about 25 in town with the Z4 and have had as high as 37 mpg on a highway trip and I don't drive to get good gas mileage. Still not as good as my motorcycle though, 45/55, not bad for a 955cc triple (Triumph Sprint ST).
    WOW!
    the vette is rated 18 city and 26 HWY but i have seen 30 if driven conservatively. Key word *if*

Mostly though i just drive my little Cobalt which gets something like 34 HWY. I guess anyway, i really dont pay attention i just drive it and it does sip the gas. That Z4 is awesome though. For what you save on gas alone (compared to the F150) could probably pay your insurance!

I saw a Black Ferrari-early 80's model on I-35 near Perry today it looked awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by dmoor82 View Post
    I saw a Black Ferrari-early 80's model on I-35 near Perry today it looked awesome!
    I think I saw that same car today! Though I was at 23rd and Western.

Though it didn't look early 80's. Early 90's to me, so maybe it wasn't the same car. It was a convertible.

Spotted a black Maserati GranTurismo today in Midtown, near 10th and Robinson.

Thread Information