Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am looking for really great Chinese; ideas?

Default Am looking for really great Chinese; ideas?

We love really good Chinese food.......but don't want to pay nine kinds of prices for it. Have tried some of the buffets; food is either cold, stale, or just greasy. Like the idea of a buffet because you do have more choice, but haven't a clue as to where to go. We're willing to drive any place in the metro [including Norman & Edmond & MWC].

Anyone have any suggestions?? Doesn't have to be fancy; just GOOD!

Thanks.

Default Re: Am looking for really great Chinese; ideas?

Dot Wo is about the best chinease there is.

The food at the buffet at Brookhaven Square is usually quite tasty. Panda Garden on West Robinson (although the drive is a bit of a bear these days due to the narrowing of I-35 while they prep to widen it.

here are some reviews:
    chinese buffet norman ok - Google Maps

4. Default Re: Am looking for really great Chinese; ideas?

The new Buffet on N. Penn between 122nd and Memorial ( by Sam's Club/Walmart - used to be FireMountain Buffet) is incredible.

Tons of shrimp, fresh sushi, mongolian bbq ( chef prepares fresh meats and vegetables with your choice of sauces)... always hot and fresh, refilled constantly, inexpensive and always packed.
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

China Chef in the Underground OKC.

lately, i like kang's asian bistro just north of nw 63rd & olie. i also enjoy a place on sw 119th & western called lemongrass. neither of those serve buffet style, but i think the food is quite tasty.

dot wo was recommended earlier... it should be noted that they don't serve buffet, either. i've been to the southside one and it's not bad.

-M

Buffet restaurants: Lin's Buffet near MacArthur and Reno; and Golden Palace on Meridian. Price range is about $8-10.

If you want authentic Chinese, it'll be a bit more pricey at the Grand House on Classen.

8. Default Re: Am looking for really great Chinese; ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    I agree. This is prbably my favorite chinese buffet in town, but I'm not big on chinese anyway so mu opinion isn't as good as others in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Yeah, it is pretty good. I also like the one in Casady Square at Penn and Britton. I think it's called Hunan Garden?

10. Default Re: Am looking for really great Chinese; ideas?

Try the one in Del City on 29th, east of Sunnylane. It's on the north side of 29th and have a green roof. That's the only Chinese resturant I like to eat at. I just love their hawaiian chicken.

Eat there during dinner hours, you'll get much more on the platters/plates. They do have specials and if there is anything in a special you do not want, you can replace for something else.

I think Special #2 is the one mom always get. She doesn't want garlic chicken, so she replace that with hawaiian chicken and replace the soup with rice.

For me, I get a whole platter of hawaiian chicken. A bowl of rice is free with it.

11. Default Re: Am looking for really great Chinese; ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by bristolscene View Post
    Yeah, it is pretty good. I also like the one in Casady Square at Penn and Britton. I think it's called Hunan Garden?
    That one is just called Hunan Chinese Restaurant, and is also one of my favorites. They are in the process of moving to May & Hefner. They will re-open on April 22nd.

Thank you to everyone for the good suggestions. Looks like we will have several to try. Yum!

Quote Originally Posted by Karried View Post
    The new Buffet on N. Penn between 122nd and Memorial ( by Sam's Club/Walmart - used to be FireMountain Buffet) is incredible.

Tons of shrimp, fresh sushi, mongolian bbq ( chef prepares fresh meats and vegetables with your choice of sauces)... always hot and fresh, refilled constantly, inexpensive and always packed.
    We went there last night, and you are right.. I have to say this is the best buffet in town hands down. I was really impressed by the variety - lots of stuff that you don't find on your typical buffet.

Have to say I'm surprised that people would mention China Chef though. For what it is, it's decent, but it's small and the selection is not very good at all.

Go to the Grand House! Not just Chinese food but Malay, Vietmanese, Thai and Sushi!Friday nights there is a jazz band, The Grand House Trio. Saturday and Sunday morning/afernoon they serve Dim Sum and it's awesome! They have a bar! The Mai Tai's, pomagranite margarita's and Brandy Alexanders are really good too. My favorite dishes are Mongolian beef, Salt and pepper tofu and Spicy tuna roll.

15. Default Re: Am looking for really great Chinese; ideas?

Mute, how in the world is your avatar so GIGANTIC?!

I think I got arthritis just scrolling past that monstrosity of an avatar.

by the time I scrolled past mute's astronut, i was hungry again

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Mute, how in the world is your avatar so GIGANTIC?!
    lol

19. Default Re: Am looking for really great Chinese; ideas?

yeah, mute, do you think you might be able to resize your avatar to a smaller size? I think Pete took off the size restrictions but this one is a little bit large.. lol

Probably close to the size of the others is what we are looking for here. Thanks!
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

lol...sorry

If you like Hong Kong style - Chow's is quite good.

22. Default Re: Am looking for really great Chinese; ideas?

Ditto on Dot Wo.

Lucky Star on Lindsey in Norman about two miles west of campus is awesome. It is new and is in a place where a failed Mexican restaurant once was. There's not much to the decor or the appearance, but the food is fantastic. The staff is very friendly and personable as well.
    Last edited by john60; 04-26-2009 at 10:46 PM. Reason: misspelling

Quote Originally Posted by Karried View Post

We tried this place last night for dinner. My son and I were both disappointed in the Mongolian BBQ, not many choices for veggies or sauces. The rest of the buffet was great.

Quote Originally Posted by john60 View Post
    Lucky Star on Lindsey in Norman about two miles west of campus is awesome. It is new and is in a place where a failed Mexican restaurant once was. ...
    Hmmm, maybe just solved my lunch uncertainty for today. thanks

Thread Information