Widgets Magazine

Thread: Anyone keep unusual pets?

Default Anyone keep unusual pets?

I've been seeing a lot of dogs and cats threads in this forum. From the first page, the only odd pets I see are ball pythons and chickens. I'm just curious if anyone here keeps anything unusual or exotic in the OKC area.

I can start:
    I keep 2 scorpions and 5 tarantulas. (None of them are deadly to humans, fyi)

2. Default Re: Anyone keep unusual pets?

I have a lionhead bunny. That's as close to unusual I can get.

Default Re: Anyone keep unusual pets?

I've kept nearly all of the animals in the "Scaly" (reptiles) and "Icky" (invertebrates) sections of my photo-site Photography by Randy May

...but right now we have just a Rhacodactylus leachianus gecko, a common shot-hair, and a Cornish Rex cat (show below are a baby):

BEAUTIFUL photos! Makes we want a cat!

What is the blonde's name?

5. Default Re: Anyone keep unusual pets?

I don't know how exotic he is but I have a ferret named Teddy. Here he is taking a bubble bath..lol

All Clean!

" You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

Quote Originally Posted by East Coast Okie View Post
    BEAUTIFUL photos! Makes we want a cat!

What is the blonde's name?
    Um..."Baby" - now he's a full grown Cornish Rex, with their unique features. Here's another one I shot before we acquired "Baby"...

-Thanks.

7. Default Re: Anyone keep unusual pets?

Teddy is cute. I don't have the courage to handle ferrets yet. It's the same when I first handled a rabbit, took a while, now I'm used to them. Same for hamsters. I've never touch a ferret.

8. Default Re: Anyone keep unusual pets?

I was petrified of anything remotely resembling a ferret. When we first brought him home, I was shaking.

But, now, I can't believe I was ever afraid of him.. he is so sweet. He has never, ever bitten anyone and barely nibbles when he plays. He has to be my best pet ever. I just love him.

9. Default Re: Anyone keep unusual pets?

Karried, how are Teddy and the kitties getting along these days? I remember the video you posted a few months back (Teddy annoying sleeping kitten), but am wondering if all is well in your animal kingdom?
    "The worst sin towards our fellow creatures is not to hate them but to be indifferent to them: that’s the essence of inhumanity." -George Bernard Shaw

10. Default Re: Anyone keep unusual pets?

Crocadile, Tiger ( Raised by me since birth )

Savage I ventured into your photos and they were truly amazing!

12. Default Re: Anyone keep unusual pets?

My baby:

13. Default Re: Anyone keep unusual pets?

lol... oh that had me spewing soda onto my keyboard...

SweetDaisy, thanks for asking... all is well in our fuzzy home.. of course, the not so fun part of pet ownership is constant litter box cleaning.. I don't like that part of it at all. But, I guess that's the trade off ... the kitties are huge now.. they still play with Teddy but they get the better of him easily.. he just runs and hides in his tunnels.. and ventures out when they aren't looking to pounce on their backs .. they make me laugh all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by LIL_WAYNE_4_PREZIDENT08 View Post
    Crocadile, Tiger ( Raised by me since birth )
    We need some photos

Quote Originally Posted by angel27 View Post
    Savage I ventured into your photos and they were truly amazing!
    Thanks! I hope to have the site reworked and a more expansive set of images up this summer.

PS: Karried - very cute ferret, love those guys!

15. Default Re: Anyone keep unusual pets?

I dont have a digital camera... Never seen the need for one when I can just get a disposable

16. Default Re: Anyone keep unusual pets?

I highly doubt that Lil Wayne have a baby tiger.

He can't even hold his BK job.

Quote Originally Posted by LIL_WAYNE_4_PREZIDENT08 View Post
    I dont have a digital camera... Never seen the need for one when I can just get a disposable
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can still get print photos digitized easily

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I highly doubt that Lil Wayne have a baby tiger.

He can't even hold his BK job.
    I'm sure you're doubts are correct...which is why I asked for photos.

I used to have a tank full of poisonous marine fish. I try to stick to the non-agony inducing ones these days.

A friend is setting up a shark and stingray tank. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

19. Default Re: Anyone keep unusual pets?

Karried: I've always heard Ferrets stink (even when de-stink'd). Is that true? I'd love a ferret but never knew anyone who had one. We have two cats, two dogs, koi and box turtles. I know, boring, but low maintenance.

Speaking of animals, I took this photo of someone's strange pet near SW 59 and Walker.

Brian Bates's Photos | Facebook

I can't believe there was a camel there and I am just as astonished that a good photographer was there to get a picture!

21. Default Re: Anyone keep unusual pets?

I believe Ferret does not stink. They are capable of keeping themselves clean, very much like bunnies do. It is the cage that needs constant cleaning, such as corner spots every other day or so. Entire cage weekly.

22. Default Re: Anyone keep unusual pets?

Teddy is descented and neutered... he does have a musky odor but it's not unpleasant at all ( at least to me) but maybe that's because I'm so attached to him....

Thunder is right, keep his bedding clean and litter box clean all the time.. no problem. I also have Bio Odor that I put in the water and spray for him too.

You can't bathe them more than once a month as it strips their natural oils and they smell even stronger.

You can't really judge by those at a pet store though.. usually they are all crammed into a unventilated aquarium or cage.. so sad to see.. and yes, the cages aren't cleaned as often as they probably should be ....they will have odors.

Thread Information