Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jefferson Davis elementary alums??

Default Jefferson Davis elementary alums??

I did not know that this school existed until a few years ago and spent hours looking for it. Family that had been on the south-side since the 1940's had never heard of it either. The school has been closed for some years but is located east of S.E. High School. Anyone go there??????

Default Re: Jefferson Davis elementary alums??

Quote Originally Posted by papaOU View Post
    I did not know that this school existed until a few years ago and spent hours looking for it. Family that had been on the south-side since the 1940's had never heard of it either. The school has been closed for some years but is located east of S.E. High School. Anyone go there??????
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Didn't go there, but have been by there. It's kinda creepy looking. There has been some interest in the building for an alternative school. The building is in disarray but, they think they can make a private school there??????

If this is the one I asked about in the other thread,the emopty school between 53rd and 54h off Stiles, Someone is sure missing an awesome opportunity to make one whale of a haunted house outta the place. creepy indeed, even in daylight

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    If this is the one I asked about in the other thread,the emopty school between 53rd and 54h off Stiles, Someone is sure missing an awesome opportunity to make one whale of a haunted house outta the place. creepy indeed, even in daylight
    There was (notice was) some interest by a private Charter School on taking the building over. I went with my wife to go and look at it....Spooky inside....but, with some TLC maybe some kids that won't get anymore than street education can learn that life is more than a "Crack" Pipe....I mean this from the depths of my heart....

The people in that neighborhood are wanting to have it demolished. I would like to find one person that went to school there.

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    There was (notice was) some interest by a private Charter School on taking the building over. I went with my wife to go and look at it....Spooky inside....but, with some TLC maybe some kids that won't get anymore than street education can learn that life is more than a "Crack" Pipe....I mean this from the depths of my heart....
    In this day of political correctness if the building were bought they would have to change the name? Maybe even remove the name. That would suck!!!

The people in that neighborhood are wanting to have it demolished. I would like to find one person that went to school there.
    My cousins went to grade school there, before they moved to Del City and Graduated from Crooked Oak.

I went to school there! 5th & 6th grade. It is at 53 & Byers. I lived at 52nd & Byers. Lots of good memories from there.....playing Jacks on a concrete slab in the playground; chasing boys around the playground; being the winner of the 50-yard dash; those great school carnivals; our 6th grade graduation singing, "You'll Never Walk Alone".

It is VERY creepy looking now.....but was not back then. There was also a little grocery store across the street on Byers called "George Turner's Grocery"....great little neighborhood store. He let me buy things and write it down on a note so my parents could pay later.

~~~

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerGirl26 View Post
    I went to school there! 5th & 6th grade. It is at 53 & Byers. I lived at 52nd & Byers. Lots of good memories from there.....playing Jacks on a concrete slab in the playground; chasing boys around the playground; being the winner of the 50-yard dash; those great school carnivals; our 6th grade graduation singing, "You'll Never Walk Alone".

It is VERY creepy looking now.....but was not back then. There was also a little grocery store across the street on Byers called "George Turner's Grocery"....great little neighborhood store. He let me buy things and write it down on a note so my parents could pay later.

~~~
    Did you then go to CHJH?

Did you then go to CHJH?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Naw, she was afraid she couldn't get the grease out of her hair so she went on the Southeast. Southeast and Grant were 7th - 12th Grade then.....

Prunepicker Guest

Default Re: Jefferson Davis elementary alums?

Was Jefferson Davis Elementary built around the same time as Heronville
    and Lee? I'm guessing that was around 1920.

Naw, she was afraid she couldn't get the grease out of her hair so she went on the Southeast. Southeast and Grant were 7th - 12th Grade then.....
    Thanks Gen64 ~ hahahaha.....I thought we ALL had grease in our hair...thought it was a requirement to live on the southside....remember those northsiders were required to wear silk underwear.

~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    Not for sure.....I only knew it was a long, long time ago. I'll try to do some research on it and find out when they were all built.

~~~

Lee was built in 1910

Prunepicker Guest

Lee was built in 1910
    Thanks!

Not for sure.....I only knew it was a long, long time ago. I'll try to do some research on it and find out when they were all built.

~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
    How did you know they wore Silk Underwear????

Heronville was built in 1928

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
    How did you know they wore Silk Underwear????
    Do you not remember?? We were called the "Southside Greasers" and they were the "Northside Silkies"....meaning everything they wore was made out of silk. Or was that just a SE thing???

~~~

Do you not remember?? We were called the "Southside Greasers" and they were the "Northside Silkies"....meaning everything they wore was made out of silk. Or was that just a SE thing???

~~~
    you haven't answered my question...How did you know they wore silk underwear??? By the way we need to make a trip as a group over to Jefferson Davis at the next Hoe Down.....

you haven't answered my question...How did you know they wore silk underwear??? By the way we need to make a trip as a group over to Jefferson Davis at the next Hoe Down.....
    Well....I didn't know for sure....but that's what I heard...and you know me, I believe everything I hear!!

~~~

Prunepicker Guest

Do you not remember? We were called the "Southside Greasers" and they
    were the "Northside Silkies", meaning everything they wore was made out of
    silk. Or was that just a SE thing?~~~
    I understand completely. After all, I cruised the northside every weekend.

You're exactly right. And according to legends (snicker snicker) they wore silk
    whachamacallits...

... so I was told...

What in the world does this have to do with Jefferson Davis Elementary?

Thanks Gen64 ~ hahahaha.....I thought we ALL had grease in our hair...thought it was a requirement to live on the southside....remember those northsiders were required to wear silk underwear.

~~~
    I could explain this to you but it would not make it past the moderator.

I could explain this to you but it would not make it past the moderator.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    With this group you never know....The moderators might just think we are trying to remember the past....Right????????

Went by Jefferson Davis School the other day. Pretty Architecture. Could use a little help on conditioning. Why not make an Alternative school there and help the kids learn that don't realize they need to learn.....?????Any suggestions.?...the building is just sitting there....How about it guys?

Thread Information