Widgets Magazine

Default Russia wants to beef up military

2. Default Re: Russia wants to beef up military

umm, "Medvedev promised weapons upgrades but also endorsed organizational changes that will cut the officer corps by more than half, or as many as 200,000 positions. "

sounds like the opposite of beefing up

Default Re: Russia wants to beef up military

Would you prefer the NY Times version? All the major news outlets are calling it boosting their military.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/18/wo...8medvedev.html

MOSCOW — President Dmitri A. Medvedev said Tuesday that Russia would begin a “large-scale rearming” in 2011 in response to what he described as continuing threats to the country’s security.

This is probably just a way for Russia to stimulate its economy via one of their most prominent industries -- weapons manufacturing.

they seem to be getting closer with iran, maybe help them out with the nukes?

One interesting piece of information reported yesterday on some news stations is that Russia is considering placing a squad of its long-range bombers in Cuba. My personal thought is that this is a message of reciprocity that they are trying to convey regarding their disapproval of our desire to place missile defense missiles on their back doorstep.

dismayed, good point, would be a good base for them in event of WW3. On the same note you mentioned, notice how they are strengthening ties with Iran, Venezuela and other rogue nations. This is not going to get good anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    dismayed, good point, would be a good base for them in event of WW3. On the same note you mentioned, notice how they are strengthening ties with Iran, Venezuela and other rogue nations. This is not going to get good anytime soon.
    Yeah, that is definitely bad news. Russia having ties with Iran I can kind of understand, they're right on their border and they probably want to appease the crazies in hopes of keeping them out of Russian business. Venezuela probably is all about oil since Russia's oil comes from mostly former satellite Ukrainian nations that they don't have very good relations with right now. Actually come to think of it the Iran alliance is probably mostly about oil too.

Man, it is amazing to stop and realize how much of our political woes trace directly back to oil and the Middle East. Sometimes it seems like there isn't a nation on earth that isn't touched by that region of the world.

Prunepicker Guest

Here's a question that I mean with all sincerity.

Is anybody really surprised?
    Tell the truth. Are you really surprised?

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dismayed View Post
    Yeah, that is definitely bad news. Russia having ties with Iran I can kind of
    understand, they're right on their border and they probably want to appease
    the crazies in hopes of keeping them out of Russian business...
    And here we are with a president who will most likely reduce the necessary
    spending for our military.

Does anyone, besides me, believe that BO will do the wrong thing with
    our military?

Not surprised about the tentacles of oil, it is just surprising to think of its long reach sometimes.

I think Obama is about to cut DoD's budget, that is a definite no-brainer. For me at least the jury is still out on whether he does the right or wrong thing with respect to our military. There are so many things (read: cool toys) that we spend billions on that go nowhere while allowing heavily utilized weapons systems to essentially starve to death from lack of funding, dramatically impacting mission readiness. Case in point: when was the last time we had an honest to God air-to-air dogfight? Yet we continue to spend the majority of our budget on fighters, when what we really need are bombers. When the Bush Admin came into power many of their talking points seemed to recognize this, and I was a big supporter of the changes they were talking about at that time. But then somehow that idea morphed into the whole "expeditionary forces" ideology and a crapload of spending on wacky programs we probably never needed. I guess I'm saying that just because there is some talk of shrinking the budget that isn't in and of itself a bad thing. The big question is really all in the details. And I have no idea what Obama is going to do, I can't figure him out there.

Prunepicker Guest

As dismayed iterated, I honestly believe that BO will harm the defense of
    the USA because he's a left-winged extremist.

Why do I believe this?

1. BO is a left-winged extremist knee-jerk reactionary liberal. These people
    want to believe, - they don't have a rational reason, they simply want to
    believe this idiotic notion -that the USA is an evil nation that wants to
    impose it's morality upon all nations of the earth.

This isn't true by any stretch of the imagination.

Those of us who are capable of thinking rationally disagree. We don't even
    have to give this a second thought. The USA has never imposed it's
    beliefs upon any nation at any time. While it's true that the hard-lined
    left-winged extremist knee-jerk reactionary liberals want to believe this,
    there simply isn't any proof whatsoever.

2. If we don't keep our military strong, the hard-lined left-winged extremist
    knee-jerk reactionary liberals will no longer be able to speak their mind, no
    matter how hateful or vile they want to be. This is a fact, make that an
    absolute fact. The constitution allows even the most appalling hard-lined
    left-winged extremist knee-jerk reactionary liberals to speak their mind.
    There isn't a country on earth that will allow them to do so. For some
    reason the hard-lined left-winged extremist knee-jerk reactionary liberals
    want to believe otherwise.

I'm so glad I'm not a leftist, just in case somebody was wondering...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    As dismayed iterated, I honestly believe that BO will harm the defense of
    the USA because he's a left-winged extremist.

Why do I believe this?

1. BO is a left-winged extremist knee-jerk reactionary liberal. These people
    want to believe, - they don't have a rational reason, they simply want to
    believe this idiotic notion -that the USA is an evil nation that wants to
    impose it's morality upon all nations of the earth.

This isn't true by any stretch of the imagination.

Those of us who are capable of thinking rationally disagree. We don't even
    have to give this a second thought. The USA has never imposed it's
    beliefs upon any nation at any time.
    You are so pitifully wrong in this one post, I couldn't help but keep from laughing out loud from it. After all, the U. S. has clearly been posing it morality and beliefs upon Iraq like all get out. I'm sure students of history can point out in numerous ways how you're off your rocker. So you need to get your mind cleared, so you can face up to reality assuming you're here merely to entertain me free charge.

Oh, well, I glad that for a person who doesn't think the goverment can do anything right that you still seem to think the military is OK.

Thread Information