Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Capitol hill high school:..not forgotten

Default Re: Capitol hill high school:..not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by papaOU View Post
    Gee! I didn't even notice you!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I noticed you gone Southside Girl....We noticed PapaOU had to hold the fort down by himself....String?????how do you play a string?????I played a swinet onces but there were other parts....and I played all the brass instruments Todd would let me play...Even own a "Frumpet" but, playing a string...that's kinda like playing with a stick huh????

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I noticed you gone Southside Girl....We noticed PapaOU had to hold the fort down by himself....String?????how do you play a string?????I played a swinet onces but there were other parts....and I played all the brass instruments Todd would let me play...Even own a "Frumpet" but, playing a string...that's kinda like playing with a stick huh????
    Swinet? Isn't that a person who participates in synchronized swimming?

Do they come with shower-caps or are those extra?

I once went out with a Rockette but she kicked the crap out of me............

Hey, Prunepicker, my kiddo is a music student at UCO. Encouraged him to take anything he could from Dr. Lee, and I'm happy that he took a Brass Techniques class from him.

I'm not from Capitol Hill, but I love Dr. Lee just the same.

Since I went to school at Lee, CHJH and CHHS I am including this post on this thread. Ever crave something to eat that you haven't had in years? Remember on Fridays lunch at grade schools was a square golden colored thing they called fish in one section of the lunch tray? A large glob of mashed-potatoes and creme gravy? Then there was corn and one of those big rolls with butter? Loved to cut and spear a piece of fish, drag it through the tater's and dip it in corn. Slam it in your mouth and take a bite of the roll. Man! I loved that stuff and sometimes crave it today.
    Wonder if that had anything to do with me having three heart-attacks? The last requiring a quadruple bypass?

My favorite was the fried chicked at CHJH

Quote Originally Posted by SOUTHSIDE GIRL View Post
    My favorite was the fried chicked at CHJH
    At CHJH I usually got the cold lunch. They offered nutritious food like those large cinnamon rolls, taco flavored doritios, no-bake cookies, Sweet Tarts, all kinds of Life Savers, Dr. Pepper...........Gee! Maybe it wan't the fish at Lee but the cold lunches at CHJH that resulted in my heart-attacks...................

I just found this forum and have enjoyed reading all the memories. I'm a southside kid and a Capitol Hill graduate. Grew up by Woodson Park. I can remember when it was a golf course. Went to elementary school at Garfield. We had a really great baseball team in the YMCA league. Attended Roosevelt Jr High and graduated from Capitol Hill in 1970. Went to college at Central State (when it was called that). I have had a fun time reading all the posts.
    The summer before my senior year, I worked at a Humpty Dumpty on the northside. That's where I met my future wife. She went to Northwest Classen. We married in 1972 and after college I joined the Marines where I spent 16 years. In 1988 I was seriously injured and in 1990 they decided I was not fit to serve and retired me. We moved back to Oklahoma and I now live in Edmond. We had 3 children. In 1997 she died in a car accident. I haven't remarried.
    I have a lot of memories of Capitol Hill and the southside in general. I remember shopping with my mother in Capitol Hill. Remember walking to the battle of the bands at the armory on 44th and Penn. I had worked and saved my money and bought me a black 69 Nova SS the summer before my senior year. Use to cruse the Spot, Hollies, the place on Classen (can't remember it's name) and the McDonals on NW Expressway. Use to go out to OKC Raceway on I-40 and Council. In fact that was me and my future wife's first date. I remember before I met my wife, I had the biggest crush on one of the cheerleaders. But I didn't ever think I was good enough for her. But things work out the way they are suppose to. My wife and I were married for 26 years. I have so many memories that I could write a book. I could write and write and write, so I won't continue any further on this post. But thanks for the memories.

I hope this group will entertain and enlighten you. So "write, write, and write" to your hearts content. We always enjoy new memories and those that support what has already been posted by someone else. You are a great addition to this group.

TOWNHERO...........Please post your memories, we would love to read them. I Graduated in 73, but hungout with some from 71. Also, please join us at Coits for our monthly get together. Next one will be in May Was the place on Classen called Quick's

Thanks Southside Girl.
    Yep that's the name Quick's. I think the building is still there. I pass by it every once in a while because my youngest daughter is at OCU.
    Which Coits is it?
    Did you all know there is/was a web page with several years of yearbooks from Capitol Hill.
    I was some what of a loner in school and constantly getting in trouble. I was suspended at least 3 times that I can remember for various reasons, that I will not mention.
    Use to go out at lunch and never return to school that day. I only played sports in the 10th grade. Baseball, football and wrestling. Wasn't very good so I gave it up. We were not very good in football, except for my sophomore year.

This is a funny story, at least I think it is. As you all know Capitol Hill has been there a long long time with a lot of graduates. Anyway, the way I met my wife was, I was working at a Humpty's on NW 23rd and Portland. I was the only south sider at the store. All the others went to Northwest or Putnam City. Well these 2 cute girls kept coming into the store. I ask one of the guys who they were and he told me. Their names Gloria & Melinda (my future wife) I liked Gloria and asked her out. She wouldn't go out with me because I was from Capitol Hill. She would only go out if we double with another couple. So we doubled with Melinda and the guy that knew them. We went to Shepard Mall. I could tell right off it wasn't going to work with Gloria. So Gloria and the guy, I took them home. Melinda jumped in the front seat and went to the Charcoal Oven. And the rest is history. But where I am going with this long story is that her father graduated from Capitol Hill in 1936 and he always told her, she couldn't go wrong marrying a Capitol Hill graduate.
    Sorry to babel. Slow day at work. HAHAHA I tell you how boring I am, I left and went to the Festival of Arts.

Prunepicker Guest

Default Re: Capitol hill high school... not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by SOUTHSIDE GIRL View Post
    Was the place on Classen called Quick's
    Yes! It was our south side to north side cruise route.

Prunepicker,
    You must have done some of the same things I did. That south to north side cruse route was the thing to do.
    When did you graduate? If it was like 69,70 era. You might remember me.
    In the year 69/70. I drove a black 1969 Chevy SS Nova. I had a friend that had gold with black vinyl roof 65 Nova SS and later a 57 Chevy.

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    Yes! It was our south side to north side cruise route.
    Are you sure it wasn't called "Quickies"?

In junior high sonic booms were replaced by "duck and cover"!!!!

Did anyone really think that would save us?

If Tinker were bombed I don't think we would have any worries because we would have been dead seconds afterwords.

I don't mean to bring everyone down on this board but I wanted to make an announcement about someone that some of you may have known and to whom I had been married for 41 years.

My wife, Arleen Sheffield (her maiden name), as she was known in school, died April 17 and we buried her last week. She was a 1966 grad of Capitol Hill HS. She and I had planned on attending your meeting at Coit's on April 18 and were going to show that group some of the promotional material we had already developed.

The primary reason I am posting this is because she and I and a couple of others were in the process of putting together a Capitol Hill Rock and Roll Reunion and we were just getting it organized when she died unexpectedly.

She was excited about organizing this event and things were moving along pretty well. I fully intend to complete the event and I had hoped to make the initial announcement of it in a more positive way but I wanted to let people who might appreciate what she was wanting to do, know about her efforts.

I created a memorial web site for her, Arleen Webb Memorial Web Site | Arleen Webb and I will be adding more to it as time passes.

We have tentatively scheduled this event for October of 2009 and when I get approval of the exact date I will let this forum know.

Quote Originally Posted by TOWNHERO View Post
    Thanks Southside Girl.
    Yep that's the name Quick's. I think the building is still there. I pass by it every once in a while because my youngest daughter is at OCU.
    Which Coits is it?
    Did you all know there is/was a web page with several years of yearbooks from Capitol Hill.
    I was some what of a loner in school and constantly getting in trouble. I was suspended at least 3 times that I can remember for various reasons, that I will not mention.
    Use to go out at lunch and never return to school that day. I only played sports in the 10th grade. Baseball, football and wrestling. Wasn't very good so I gave it up. We were not very good in football, except for my sophomore year.

This is a funny story, at least I think it is. As you all know Capitol Hill has been there a long long time with a lot of graduates. Anyway, the way I met my wife was, I was working at a Humpty's on NW 23rd and Portland. I was the only south sider at the store. All the others went to Northwest or Putnam City. Well these 2 cute girls kept coming into the store. I ask one of the guys who they were and he told me. Their names Gloria & Melinda (my future wife) I liked Gloria and asked her out. She wouldn't go out with me because I was from Capitol Hill. She would only go out if we double with another couple. So we doubled with Melinda and the guy that knew them. We went to Shepard Mall. I could tell right off it wasn't going to work with Gloria. So Gloria and the guy, I took them home. Melinda jumped in the front seat and went to the Charcoal Oven. And the rest is history. But where I am going with this long story is that her father graduated from Capitol Hill in 1936 and he always told her, she couldn't go wrong marrying a Capitol Hill graduate.
    Sorry to babel. Slow day at work. HAHAHA I tell you how boring I am, I left and went to the Festival of Arts.

Coits on 24th and S western

Quote Originally Posted by jmw45 View Post
    I don't mean to bring everyone down on this board but I wanted to make an announcement about someone that some of you may have known and to whom I had been married for 41 years.

My wife, Arleen Sheffield (her maiden name), as she was known in school, died April 17 and we buried her last week. She was a 1966 grad of Capitol Hill HS. She and I had planned on attending your meeting at Coit's on April 18 and were going to show that group some of the promotional material we had already developed.

The primary reason I am posting this is because she and I and a couple of others were in the process of putting together a Capitol Hill Rock and Roll Reunion and we were just getting it organized when she died unexpectedly.

She was excited about organizing this event and things were moving along pretty well. I fully intend to complete the event and I had hoped to make the initial announcement of it in a more positive way but I wanted to let people who might appreciate what she was wanting to do, know about her efforts.

I created a memorial web site for her, Arleen Webb Memorial Web Site | Arleen Webb and I will be adding more to it as time passes.

We have tentatively scheduled this event for October of 2009 and when I get approval of the exact date I will let this forum know.
    Sounds like a great lady. Even more so it appears your loss is everybodies loss.

Thank you and I appreciate what you said. That was very nice.

Prunepicker Guest

I didn't go to Capitol Hill, but I'll play bass if it doesn't conflict with a paying
    gig.

Let me know via private messaging.

Prunepicker Guest

I don't mean to bring everyone down on this board but I wanted to make
    an announcement about someone that some of you may have known and
    to whom I had been married for 41 years.

My wife, Arleen Sheffield (her maiden name), as she was known in school,
    died April 17 and we buried her last week. She was a 1966 grad of Capitol
    Hill HS. She and I had planned on attending your meeting at Coit's on April
    18 and were going to show that group some of the promotional material we
    had already developed.

The primary reason I am posting this is because she and I and a couple of
    others were in the process of putting together a Capitol Hill Rock and Roll
    Reunion and we were just getting it organized when she died unexpectedly.

She was excited about organizing this event and things were moving along
    pretty well. I fully intend to complete the event and I had hoped to make
    the initial announcement of it in a more positive way but I wanted to let
    people who might appreciate what she was wanting to do, know about her
    efforts.

I created a memorial web site for her, Arleen Webb Memorial Web Site |
    Arleen Webb and I will be adding more to it as time passes.

We have tentatively scheduled this event for October of 2009 and when I
    get approval of the exact date I will let this forum know.
    I didn't go to Capitol Hill, but I'll play bass if it doesn't conflict with a paying
    gig.

Let me know via private messaging.

Smile Re: Capitol hill high school:..not forgotten

I don't think I will ever forget CHHS,but it sure hurt when I drove down 36th,street and saw graffiti on the front doors. I'm sure it been removed, but it
    still makes me mad-sad. I live in Norman but get back up there alot my family
    still lives in the city. I'll stop and listen for awhile.One last thing does anyone
    remember the malt shop on 29th (capitol hill ice cream- or somthing)?

Quote Originally Posted by chhs kid ''73'' View Post
    I don't think I will ever forget CHHS,but it sure hurt when I drove down 36th,street and saw graffiti on the front doors. I'm sure it been removed, but it
    still makes me mad-sad. I live in Norman but get back up there alot my family
    still lives in the city. I'll stop and listen for awhile.One last thing does anyone
    remember the malt shop on 29th (capitol hill ice cream- or somthing)?
    I Do! I DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The name I always associated with is The Capitol Hill Ice Cream Store..........

Made their own ice cream right there.............

Cake malts............Egg malts (think you could get an egg malt at Braums?)

In the same building and to the east was the Bama Pie company. They had a shelf right inside the front door and offered free sample pies.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by chhs kid ''73'' View Post
    One last thing does anyone remember the malt shop on 29th (capitol hill ice
    cream- or something)?
    The Capitol Hill Ice Cream Shop was on Commerce.

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    The Capitol Hill Ice Cream Shop was on Commerce.
    I must be too young........of course............to remember the "shop"

Going to Lee for grade school I do remember the place on 29th and it being
    called the"store". Do you remember this one on 29th?

We also passed it on the way to the Capitol Hill Drive-in. An old brick building that was really just a beer joint that served food and had pinball machines. But they had great burgers. The old-fashion. Have given places a hard time for having "Old Fashioned Burgers" on the menu. An old fashioned does not have tomatoes, lettuce, cheese...................

They had a sign out side that read "Sam's Hamburgers. 5 for $1.00. There's an auto parts store there now.

Remember when you knew all the people working at the auto parts on a first name basis................

There was one on 29th and Harvey, can't remember the name of it.

Thread Information