Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 53 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: What old business do you remember in OKC?

Default Re: What old business do you remember in OKC?

I mean the bar and grill, Prune. Carltonskeeper, my wife is now telling me that it was south of the river but I just don't think so. How far south do you recall it being. She also said it faced east but my memory seems to be saying west. Jeeez, my mind is gone. GONE, I tell ya.

Quote Originally Posted by papaOU View Post
    Anyone know of a barber shop that gives straight-razor shaves? That's on my bucket-list.
    Yep, there's one in moore....12th & Janeway area... Larry's

Quote Originally Posted by USG '60 View Post
    I mean the bar and grill, Prune. Carltonskeeper, my wife is now telling me that it was south of the river but I just don't think so. How far south do you recall it being. She also said it faced east but my memory seems to be saying west. Jeeez, my mind is gone. GONE, I tell ya.
    I remember "Talk of the Town" and my favorite "Cock of the Walk." They were not over a couple of blocks apart close to Broadway downtown south of Main! That's all I can remember. I guess my minds going too!!

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CarltonsKeeper View Post
    I remember "Talk of the Town" and my favorite "Cock of the Walk." They were
    not over a couple of blocks apart close to Broadway downtown south of
    Main! That's all I can remember. I guess my minds going too!!
    There's a Cock of the Walk on N. Western just north of 36th. Is there any
    relation?

Anyone know of a barber shop that gives straight-razor shaves? That's on my bucket-list.
    Yeah there is a barber shop in newcastle called old time barber shop he does it.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by grantgeneral78 View Post
    Yeah there is a barber shop in newcastle called old time barber shop he does
    it.
    How long do these straight razor shaves last?

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    I am not sure. I have nerve damage in my right elbow that is causing me to lose control of my hand. I have reached the point where I need help, but have always wanted to at least have one straight razor shave. I was told that there is a shop in Moore owned by a woman and her daughter. Even give hot towel treatments. But after two failed marriages I don't think I could relax or even trust a woman with a razor at my throat.

I am not sure. I have nerve damage in my right elbow that is causing me to lose control of my hand. I have reached the point where I need help, but have always wanted to at least have one straight razor shave. I was told that there is a shop in Moore owned by a woman and her daughter. Even give hot towel treatments. But after two failed marriages I don't think I could relax or even trust a woman with a razor at my throat.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey, there is a barber shop on the corner of 12th/Janeway where they give Straight Razor shaves. Donna's Razor shop gives a Straight Shave...4th street...

If the person doing the shaving hick-ups or any other type of quick move it's going to last you a lllllllloooooooooonnnnnnnngggggggggg time.

If the person doing the shaving hick-ups or any other type of quick move it's going to last you a lllllllloooooooooonnnnnnnngggggggggg time.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    gusy like me with no neck should definitely stay away from there.....

How about a real blast from the past!!! Penny's Hot Tamales!!! Come on now!!! I loved them.

How about a real blast from the past!!! Penny's Hot Tamales!!! Come on now!!! I loved them.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------Man, you are going way back for Penny's Tamales....That's almost like remembering when Veazey Drug stores didn't rent party equipment.....

remember when all you had to say was meet at duffys in the morning and everyone knew what it meant, right down by the ole prarie field!

Sheen Drugs!!

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    you are going way back for Penny's Tamales... That's almost like remembering
    when Veazey Drug stores didn't rent party equipment...
    Where was Penny's Tamales?

I knew Bill Veazey.

See if you can help me out here. I remember this place inside of Northpark Mall in the early 1980's. It was near the movie theatre I think. I don't remember what kind of store it was but it had this cool slide in it for us kids & when you slid down the slide you actually exited outside of the store into the main walkway. Anybody have a clue as to what I'm referring to?

Where was Penny's Tamales?

I knew Bill Veazey.
    Penny's Tamales were sold by "vendors" riding bicycles which were modified and had a large "hot box" on the front that kept the tamales warm. Guys would ride around neighborhoods selling tamales.
    Remember when Veazey's in Capitol Hill was Katz Drug. Wonder why Katz sold out? Did they go broke?

Penny's Tamales were sold by "vendors" riding bicycles which were modified and had a large "hot box" on the front that kept the tamales warm. Guys would ride around neighborhoods selling tamales.
    Remember when Veazey's in Capitol Hill was Katz Drug. Wonder why Katz sold out? Did they go broke?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I didn't remember Veazey's being where Katz Drug was. I think they just sold out and quit...Their last store was Downtown...I thought that Langston's took the building over right after Katz Quit...I do remember Sheen Drug and I remember Bill Veazey when he was the Pharmacist at the Airline Shopping Center.....

Prunepicker Guest

I didn't remember Veazey's being where Katz Drug was.
    I don't remember Veazey's being in Capitol Hill, either.

I don't remember Veazey's being in Capitol Hill, either.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I think Bill started out in the Airline Center on 29th st...

Prunepicker Guest

I think Bill started out in the Airline Center on 29th st...
    He reminds me of this guy who sold flowers at Cassidy Square and later
    had a 50% sale.

He reminds me of this guy who sold flowers at Cassidy Square and later
    had a 50% sale.
    Now that guy was "Slick". He knew his customer base and how to attract the right people there....Very handsome young man and was built to perfection....Used to know that guy but can't remember his name...By the way, Does your chewing gum lose it's flavor on the bed post over night??....Man, I went back to work today ...too much sun....

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    See if you can help me out here. I remember this place inside of Northpark Mall in the early 1980's. It was near the movie theatre I think. I don't remember what kind of store it was but it had this cool slide in it for us kids & when you slid down the slide you actually exited outside of the store into the main walkway. Anybody have a clue as to what I'm referring to?
    Okay, I'm quoting my own quote because it seems to have gotten involved in a hit n' run by other topics within the thread. Thanks for any answers!

Prunepicker Guest

Okay, I'm quoting my own quote because it seems to have gotten involved in
    a hit n' run by other topics within the thread. Thanks for any answers!
    I can't help you.

Okay, I'm quoting my own quote because it seems to have gotten involved in a hit n' run by other topics within the thread. Thanks for any answers!
    Sorry, just picking on Prunepicker....I hate to admit it but I really don't know where NorthPark Mall is except in Arlington, Texas....Someone help me out I know there's one here but where????Generals64

Thread Information