Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 53 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: What old business do you remember in OKC?

Default Re: What old business do you remember in OKC?

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I didn't remember Veazey's being where Katz Drug was. I think they just sold out and quit...Their last store was Downtown...I thought that Langston's took the building over right after Katz Quit...I do remember Sheen Drug and I remember Bill Veazey when he was the Pharmacist at the Airline Shopping Center.....
    What was the drug store in Reding Shopping Center just south of TG&Y and next door to Humpty Dumpty? Was it a Veazey's or Harvey's or what????????????????Had a fountain and grill at the very back of the store!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sorry, just picking on Prunepicker....I hate to admit it but I really don't know where NorthPark Mall is except in Arlington, Texas....Someone help me out I know there's one here but where????Generals64
    SE corner of NW 122nd & N. May Avenue

3. Default Re: What old business do you remember in OKC?

I remember - oh so many good places:

Glens Hickory Inn - the best steakhouse as far as I'm concerned
    Kips Big Boy on S. Western
    Across the Street Restaurant - the BEST Spaghetti Red in the universe
    Katherine Lipes - clothing store
    John A. Browns - wonderful classy place
    Streets
    Tastee Freeze
    TG & Y
    Rudys Grocery Store on SW 59th
    El Fenix Mexican Restaurant in Crossroads Mall
    Paul Harris Clothing Store
    Hillcrest Drive In
    Twittys Hamburger Restaurant - believe it was on S. Western, maybe Walker, I knew the Twittys - actually their name was Jenkins, I went to school with Kathy, met Conway and his wife, boy was that a long time ago!!!!
    US Grant High School - came back for an illness - then death in the family and saw that the school was gone -only to my relief that it had just been torn down and rebuilt - loved them Generals - spent 4 years in that school.

Quote Originally Posted by CarltonsKeeper View Post
    What was the drug store in Reding Shopping Center just south of TG&Y and next door to Humpty Dumpty? Was it a Veazey's or Harvey's or what????????????????Had a fountain and grill at the very back of the store!
    Where have you been????I think it was Harvey's wasn't it???Thought I would see you at the Car show today....

Where have you been????I think it was Harvey's wasn't it???Thought I would see you at the Car show today....
    maybe he was ducking you!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by papaOU View Post
    maybe he was ducking you!!!!
    Won't be the first time...or the last time....While at the car show i got to thinking about this thread and I guess the only nostalgic Car dealers left in Okc would be Hudiburg....Bob Moore and Fred Jones and it's owned by Bob Howard...
    I remember being able to go to Downtown Chevrolet as a young kid and the salesmen would not run you off or attack you to try and sell a car...You could look and ask questions and No problems...Ayers Chevrolet the same way...I guess they realized you would eventually grow up and have the money to buy a car...

I think it was Veazey's, have that Soonergirl check that out why don't cha'!!

Thanks for the INVITE!! I would have loved to have gone if only a good friend would have given me a call. You probably ate hot dogs and drank your Bud Lite and mine too!! Ha! Ha!

Northpark Mall in Dallas is at Central Expressway (US-75) and Northwest Highway (Loop 12). The one in OKC is at NW 122nd & May, southeast corner.

Cary's University Drug Store (on NE 14th and Lottie.) Nice place.

Quote Originally Posted by BoomerSooner50 View Post
    I remember - oh so many good places:US Grant High School - loved them Generals - spent 4 years in that school.
    4 years? So you didn't graduate!!!

Quote Originally Posted by striipidy View Post
    Cary's University Drug Store (on NE 14th and Lottie.) Nice place.
    ------------------=======================----------------------------
    Mickey Carey was one of the toughest buyer's in Oklahoma .....Not just the city but the state...quite agentleman otherwise.....Pulliam's Bar-B-Que was just down the street from Carey's...No has ever topped Pulliam's Sauce....

Prunepicker Guest

... Pulliam's Bar-B-Que was just down the street from Carey's... No has ever
    topped Pulliam's Sauce...
    Didn't Lincoln run up to Pulliam's? That's what I remember. Every time we
    cross that intersection I tell Prunette we just drove through Pulliam's.

I think the secret of the sauce was that he let it sit in the window, for who
    knows how long and age and never cleaned the pot he made it in.
    I think you could get drunk on it.
    I guess you could call it "BBQ-Jack"

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    Didn't Lincoln run up to Pulliam's? That's what I remember. Every time we
    cross that intersection I tell Prunette we just drove through Pulliam's.

I think the secret of the sauce was that he let it sit in the window, for who
    knows how long and age and never cleaned the pot he made it in.
    I think you could get drunk on it.
    I guess you could call it "BBQ-Jack"
    Pulliam's original place was behind a two story house on 8th street....he then moved but I don't remember where that ended up at.....

Does anyone remember the barber shop that was a converted Bus across on the North Side of the Walker bridge. Use to get my hair cuts there. Then I moved on up to about 13th and Walker and went east!! Think I saw Gen/78 and 64 there, don't remember!!

Quote Originally Posted by Redskins/General View Post
    Does anyone remember the barber shop that was a converted Bus across on the North Side of the Walker bridge. Use to get my hair cuts there. Then I moved on up to about 13th and Walker and went east!! Think I saw Gen/78 and 64 there, don't remember!!
    Yeah, we were both there...He was wearing diapers though...By the way, do they give you a great deal on your hair cut or do they have to buy a hunting license to find any?????Gotcha

Read a story about Linda Soundtrak last night. I had a hard time believing someone would be that silly and other people looked up to them. But, I guess money does talk....

Here's one for ya...

YouTube - Linda Soundtrak TV Commercials

Anyone remember Black's Barber Shop between SW24th and Commerce on the west side of Walker? There is an alley between the two streets and his place was the first south of the alley. He and his wife lived in back of the shop. That man remembered when the Walker Bridge over the Canadian was opened. He told me they had this big parade and celebration. He gave me my first haircut.

Anyone remember Black's Barber Shop between SW24th and Commerce on the west side of Walker? There is an alley between the two streets and his place was the first south of the alley. He and his wife lived in back of the shop. That man remembered when the Walker Bridge over the Canadian was opened. He told me they had this big parade and celebration. He gave me my first haircut.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    UH, was that also your last one????

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    UH, was that also your last one????
    You can lay blame on my Dad and Brother for this head of hair (And the fact that I am single and it is a great chick magnet. Caused problems with my ex and...........). Dad and my brother both balding and have been for years. As a kid I knew my Dad was really mad and I was in for it when he took me to one of the barber colleges on Agnew and specified a burr. Then home for the belt and grounding.

Prunepicker Guest

You can lay blame on my Dad and Brother for this head of hair (And the fact
    that I am single and it is a great chick magnet. Caused problems with my ex
    and...) Dad and my brother both balding and have been for years. As a
    kid I knew my Dad was really mad and I was in for it when he took me to
    one of the barber colleges on Agnew and specified a burr. Then home for
    the belt and grounding.
    Man, dad used to drag us, literally, to those butcher shops on Agnew.

I have never voluntarily received a hair cut. Never. I get them for Prunette.
    To tell the truth, Prunette has given me my hair cuts since my barberette
    ran off with that man to Hawaii. Of course that man was her husband.

All of that touching drives my insane. Can't stand it. Period. This one
    oldtimer slapped a vibrator on my neck and he thought I was going to kill
    him!

I'd almost rather go to the dentist, but that takes too much time.

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    Man, dad used to drag us, literally, to those butcher shops on Agnew.

I have never voluntarily received a hair cut. Never. I get them for Prunette.
    To tell the truth, Prunette has given me my hair cuts since my barberette
    ran off with that man to Hawaii. Of course that man was her husband.

All of that touching drives my insane. Can't stand it. Period. This one
    oldtimer slapped a vibrator on my neck and he thought I was going to kill
    him!

I'd almost rather go to the dentist, but that takes too much time.
    My experience was just the opposite, I slapped the vibrator on my Barberette and WE ran off to Hawaii, never to see Miss Red/Gen again! I guess I got confused!!!!!!!!!!

My experience was just the opposite, I slapped the vibrator on my Barberette and WE ran off to Hawaii, never to see Miss Red/Gen again! I guess I got confused!!!!!!!!!!
    TMI..............

My Barberette slapped the vibrator on me, I slapped it on mamaOU, she slapped back on Barberette and before I knew it Barberette, the vibrator, and mamaOU ran off together!

Thread Information