Widgets Magazine
Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3484950515253
Results 1,301 to 1,315 of 1315

Thread: What old business do you remember in OKC?

Default Re: What old business do you remember in OKC?

All this talk of Subway Deli reminds me of Neptunes Submarine Sandwiches. I know they had Multiple locations. I used to frequent the one on N. Meridian by 63rd.

I remember that "Subway Deli" across from Baptist Hospital and how good it seemed compared to the Subways that exist today. Besides better sandwiches they also had some good sides like potato and macaroni salad, plus the interior of the place was much nicer with hanging plants and so forth.

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    I remember that "Subway Deli" across from Baptist Hospital and how good it seemed compared to the Subways that exist today. Besides better sandwiches they also had some good sides like potato and macaroni salad, plus the interior of the place was much nicer with hanging plants and so forth.
    RM,
    Thank you sir! I was certain that I went to the one across from Baptist Hospital but nobody seems to remember it and I couldn't find it in the DOK archives. With your post, I'm convinced that I'm not senile. Well, not very much anyway. I went there until they moved West to the building that is now Fazoli's. Now, the tough question, what building were they in? It was either the old Crockett's BBQ, or the Across the Street restaurant (I think?). By the way, there was not any connection to Subway. They were Subway Deli and I believe it was before there were any "Subway" fast food restaurants.
    Subway Deli was not fast food.
    C. T.

I did a little research. The name of the place on the NW Expressway was actually Sub-Way Deli and Grill. It was opened by Paul Seikel and his wife in the pre-Pearl's Oyster Bar days. This probably helps explain, in part, why it was so much better than the OTHER Subway. (gleaned that tidbit of trivia from a book by Dave Cathey on Classic OKC Restaurants). I'm pretty sure that the building it was in is long gone as it looks like that entire block was redeveloped at some point. I estimate its former location to be about where Google shows a Panera.

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    I'm pretty sure that the building it was in is long gone as it looks like that entire block was redeveloped at some point. I estimate its former location to be about where Google shows a Panera.
    Actually, almost no buildings on that block have been replaced since the late 60s/early 70s, though the Starbuck's on the corner was added. Back then, the building now housing Conn's was the Hilander Lanes and the bowling alley occupied the entire building. The building immediately to its west was an Across The Street, and later a Crockett's. I don't remember the Sub-Way but it might have been the next building to the west.

All of these buildings WERE radically remodeled over the past almost-50 years, but nothing has been razed.

One of the businesses I remember well was Emmer Brothers, where my mother took me for shoes and other clothing items, jeans, shirts, et al. They were on SouthWest 25th near Walker. I just saw the obituary of what was likely a son of the original Emmer brothers. He worked there after military service he worked there. He's too young (born in 1937) to have been one of the founders.
    C. T.

I apologise if this has already been mentioned, but does anyone remember Dockum Pontiac up on NW Expressway between Meridian and MacArthur?

One of the salesmen they had there in the late 80's bore quite a resemblance to Ted Danson.

One of my favorite old restaurants in OKC was Stampede, which was at 63rd and May. They had a huge slide and a mechanical bull and served rattlesnake burgers! This was back in the late 70's / early 80's "rhinestone cowboy" days. I only ever went during the day with my parents. I'm sure it was a hoot after dark!

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer3791 View Post
    One of my favorite old restaurants in OKC was Stampede, which was at 63rd and May. They had a huge slide and a mechanical bull and served rattlesnake burgers! This was back in the late 70's / early 80's "rhinestone cowboy" days. I only ever went during the day with my parents. I'm sure it was a hoot after dark!
    Interesting! I lived a block east of May on NW 67th from 65 (birth) - 82 and don't remember that place, sounds like someplace we would've gone. Where exactly was it?

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Interesting! I lived a block east of May on NW 67th from 65 (birth) - 82 and don't remember that place, sounds like someplace we would've gone. Where exactly was it?
    It was where the Big Lots is now.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer3791 View Post
    It was where the Big Lots is now.
    Hmmm, right next door to where Peaches Records was, I believe. Still don't remember it, have to ask my mom if she does, thx...

Anyone remember the location of Doctor's General Hospital?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	313202976_669795311181678_7608333158201677839_n.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	17714

Working on this asset in Cities Skylines. These gas stations used to be all over OKC in the 90s but disappeared sometime around 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	313202976_669795311181678_7608333158201677839_n.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	17714

Working on this asset in Cities Skylines. These gas stations used to be all over OKC in the 90s but disappeared sometime around 2000.
    I remember those. My favorite fuel station in OKC was the Onan Self-Service gas station on Britton Rd. I don't know if the owner understood the context of the name, but I got a laugh every time I drove by :-)

Subway also had a restaurant on South Meridian, first on the west then moved south and then south and to the east side of Meridian. They had great onion burgers and the Kinzer Salad. I understood his wife ran the restaurants.

Thread Information