Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Southside OKC Memories….revisited

Default Re: Southside OKC Memories….revisited

Quote Originally Posted by grantgeneral78 View Post
    yeah very controvesial. to say the least.
    ================================================== ========
    It seems like the Pawn Shop business is what to be in. There is now one at every corner.....especially on the Southside...

Speaking of car dealerships, how about Scott Chevrolet, Bus Horton Ford etc. etc. and the Gandara Buick Store on N.W. 10th. I believe R.T. Ayers (High Performance) Chevrolet was where Allan Merrill used to be in Yukon. And his brother Woody Ayers had a store in Edmond. Speaking of Gandara Buick, Wasn't "Wava" who advertises for Nu-Sound Hearing Aids the Spokes Lady for Gandara Buick back many many years ago!! Does anyone know? Can anyone remember who the sponsor (a product) for the "Ida B" show was, or do any of you remember Ida B??????

I remember all of those dealerships and that was where R.T. Ayers Chevrolet was. Bought my first new car there 1966 Chevelle SS 396/375 H.P. They had some real hot dog cars. His brother or cousin was Woody Ayers in Edmond and yes Wava was a spokesperon for Gandara Buick. The Ida B show came on daily kind of like Danny's Day. Her sponsor was Country Club Crackers which came in the green box, don't know if they still make them or not! Could have been called Lunch with Ida B?

I remember Ida B, I went to college with her son. Also, I bought my first new car at Scott Chevrolet, a 72 Monte Carlo.

Quote Originally Posted by CarltonsKeeper View Post
    Stockyards lumber, do you remember who the owner was and the son's name!
    ================================================== ==========
    Whoa, new kid on the block...Welcome to the Southside thread. Can you answer some questions for Us?
    1. Where did you go to School? both Elementary and Highschool
    2. Were you raised on the Southside?
    3. What kind of memories can you share with us?

Quote Originally Posted by Redskins/General View Post
    Speaking of car dealerships, how about Scott Chevrolet, Bus Horton Ford etc. etc. and the Gandara Buick Store on N.W. 10th. I believe R.T. Ayers (High Performance) Chevrolet was where Allan Merrill used to be in Yukon. And his brother Woody Ayers had a store in Edmond. Speaking of Gandara Buick, Wasn't "Wava" who advertises for Nu-Sound Hearing Aids the Spokes Lady for Gandara Buick back many many years ago!! Does anyone know? Can anyone remember who the sponsor (a product) for the "Ida B" show was, or do any of you remember Ida B??????
    ================================================== =====
    Ida B:.....Ida Blackburn...Koco-TV....Was the person who help initiate the first color picture (American Flag) in 1964:......TG&Y Sponsored her show (10:30a.m.) on Thursdays for years....Embarassing but, I was on there for quite a few episodes as the TG&Y person. She wanted to film my wedding live and My wife said NO!!!! oh well, she was worth it (my wife)

Can anyone remember what business was originally on the N.E corner of 44th and S. Penn?
    Wasn't it a tire shop/Muffler shop????

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    It seems like the Pawn Shop business is what to be in. There is now one at
    every corner... especially on the Southside...
    Well somebody needs to fence all that stolen merchandise. lol

It was an Apco service Station!

Was there something there before the Pawn Shop

Apco was on the South East corner wasn't it

Where was the Mint Club?

Went to Rancho Village, graduated from U.S. Grant and was raised in South Oklahoma City. Memory still working!!

Gen/64, what elementary school, were you a 64 Grant General?

================================================== =====
    Ida B:.....Ida Blackburn...Koco-TV....Was the person who help initiate the first color picture (American Flag) in 1964:......TG&Y Sponsored her show (10:30a.m.) on Thursdays for years....Embarassing but, I was on there for quite a few episodes as the TG&Y person. She wanted to film my wedding live and My wife said NO!!!! oh well, she was worth it (my wife)
    Ida B's sponsor was Country Club Crackers which we never had because my mother said they were too expensive. I thought only the rich kids ate those!

================================================== =========
    yep, you're 100% right on that one....Since YOU are NEW to the thread did you ever eat or go to Ellen's Grille?...It's been talked about before but, it seems everyone has a memory of it. Did you go to Grant ? If so when did you graduate???(if you did)

I JUST VIEWED THE OLD sOUTHSIDE THREAD.....NOW OFFICIALLY AT THE BOTTOM OF THE SECOND PAGE...2010 REPLIES AND 36,000 VIEWS...LOCKED AND CLOSED:..........."GOOD BYE" OLD FRIEND.....AS YOU GET KARRIED AWAY.

Quote Originally Posted by FRISKY View Post
    Where was the Mint Club?
    The Mint Club was on the N.E. corner of 44th & Penn.. There might have been a gas station at one time but, I had been in the Mint before.

Quote Originally Posted by gen70 View Post
    The Mint Club was on the N.E. corner of 44th & Penn.. There might have been a gas station at one time but, I had been in the Mint before.
    ================================================== ===========
    But, I think the Mint was put in the building of the Apco Station...Almost positive.....

Quote Originally Posted by gen70 View Post
    I spent many an hour in the mint club, I lived right behind it. I bought my first pack of cigarettes in about 1957 at the Apco service station there out of a machine for .25cents! Amazing what things you remember from your childhood. It only took me about 25 years to get over the smoking habit. I even remember them being Lucky STrikes, my favorites!! Hope my lungs have recovered.

Funny how when we were kids, they would tell you they weren't supposed to sellyou cigarettes and the normal response was I'm getting them for my mom/dad.....O.K. but don't you smoke any of them...Yeah, go and smoke Grapevine.../Sheeeesh, I wanted to die since I knew that the FIRE that went down my throat burned up my lungs and everything else.....and then I remembered that it would stop my growth....Man, I should be about 7' 4" tall by now then...Oh well sa as it was on the Southside of OKC....

Quote Originally Posted by SOUTHSIDE GIRL View Post
    Apco was on the South East corner wasn't it
    It was a Texaco on the S.E. corner!!

Definitely a Texaco...It was there for years...That was the station that the kids from Capitol Hill shot the hands off the outside clock...Right, SHOT the hands off...and they were so proud they told the first police officer they saw that they should become cops they were so good with a gun...True Story....

Ok what was the gas station that was located across from the delrancho on 29th street. delrancho sat on the north side of the street and the station was caddy corner from it on the south side of the street....BETCHA DONT KNOW!

Quote Originally Posted by grantgeneral78 View Post
    Ok what was the gas station that was located across from the delrancho on 29th street. delrancho sat on the north side of the street and the station was caddy corner from it on the south side of the street....BETCHA DONT KNOW!
    ================================================== =======
    All right Redskins/general go ahead and tell him our answer...He won't believe me if I tell him.

Thread Information