Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cafe 7

Default Re: Cafe 7

^

LOTS of landlords have made big concessions.

I keep saying this but people have no idea how horrible it is right now for small businesses. Even completely free rent isn't going to save you went your revenue is down more than half.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I hope people are still tipping. Staff is still working and trying to earn a living.
    Genuinely curious, do people normally tip 20% for a takeout order such as this?

During the pandemic when everything was takeout only, I was tipping generously as if I was dining in. But now that things are open, I have resumed normal tipping on to-gos - which is usually not based on value and is only very generous on orders that are overly complicated or large.

Quote Originally Posted by bucktalk View Post
    For the life of me I cannot understand how retail space owners are not freely negotiating reduced rent rate during these times. Perhaps some have reduced rent rates, idk. But it appears as though retail owners won't budge and feel having an empty retail space works in their favor. I don't get it?!?!
    i've said this about several places in norman, especially campus corner... the owners keep jacking up rent and things close or move out. and there are just empty buildings left. they can't be making more money with it empty than when something in it, can they?

Does OPUBCO own the building? Or are they just another tenant? I can't remember. If they are the landlord they may not be in the best spot to defer rent or make other concessions.

Quote Originally Posted by john60 View Post
    Does OPUBCO own the building? Or are they just another tenant? I can't remember. If they are the landlord they may not be in the best spot to defer rent or make other concessions.
    They are a tenant.

And taxpayers gave them a ton of money for those new offices, a good chunk of which they are trying to sub-lease.

It's been my experience that some landlords have been good about negotiating with their tenants. Some will abate rent for a few months and some will defer rent to be paid back over the course of several months starting in 2021. Depends on each landlord's situation with their bank.

But as generous as that may seem at first, it STILL may not be enough. For those getting full abatement on rent for March through May, they would then go back to their full rent in June at a time when people are still reluctant to go out and shop and many restaurants have to have a reduced capacity. For the ones that pay back deferred rent in 2021, hopefully the health and economic conditions will be much improved by then, but you may see other businesses in recovery mode and not able to make it work.

Landlords still have to pay their bills, which usually include a massive loan installment plus all types of maintenace and utilities.

It's a huge mess and you can't take billions out of the GDP and not have it affect everyone, big and small.

That raises another point that most of the time, they're not abating or deferring any payments of Common Area Maintenance, property taxes, or property insurance that tenants have to pay as part of additional rent.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Genuinely curious, do people normally tip 20% for a takeout order such as this?

During the pandemic when everything was takeout only, I was tipping generously as if I was dining in. But now that things are open, I have resumed normal tipping on to-gos - which is usually not based on value and is only very generous on orders that are overly complicated or large.
    I still tip 10-20% based on how it is done and size of order. Some places do an excellent job of ordering and paying online or are great helping on the phone, packaging, bringing the packaging to the vehicle, etc. Others just are difficult on the phone, throw stuff into Styrofoam & brown bag and make you come in and pay for it. Like any service, some do it better and I believe that takes investment on their part. Am glad to pay my share.

10. Default Re: Cafe 7

sad to hear but hopefully they can return downtown to a location they can afford and maybe can have later hours/serve alcohol to make it all work. ... would be nice if they could return to first national somehow once that building reopens but perhaps Midtown makes better sense.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Blog Entries

Downtown location getting new tenant

https://twitter.com/winerev/status/1337080059652419585

I was hoping to break the news haha, but I see it's already been done.

Thread Information