Links:
    Official Website
    Menu
    Facebook Page
    Yelp
    Urban Spoon

Information & Latest News

Gallery

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iguana1.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	5954   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iguana2.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	5955   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iguana3.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	5956  

Default Re: Iguana Lounge

I have been told it will be on the west side of the street between 9th and
    10th...next to Bicycle Alley. Steve Mason's building. Broadway is shaping up!!

That would be nice if they do. Two restaurants/bars in Automobile Alley. It seems as if I heard that same rumor a year or so ago that they were thinking about it, so it would make sense.

Broadway is shaping up!!
    It sure is. Really nice to see.

I can already taste the margaritas

yeah, metro, i mentioned it a few months ago, Iguana Lounge and Deep Fork.

Update: It's actually not Iguana Lounge but rather Iguana Mexican Grill opening up. It should be interesting to see how it competes with the newly opened 1492 mexican restaurant just a few blocks away in MidTown. I'm glad to see he decided not to tear down several buildings on Broadway for "surface parking" as he almost did. That would have been a stupid nightmare.

Broadway developer endures challenges, expands vision to include restaurant

By Steve Lackmeyer
    Business Writer

When Steve Mason began renovating a 99-year-old former car dealership earlier this year along downtown Oklahoma City's Automobile Alley, he hoped to cap the cost at $3.2 million and move his offices into the property by July.

Instead, the building remains an empty shell. New steel floors are still under construction. And the cost has doubled to $6.4 million.

But Mason isn't showing any signs of strain. In fact, he's decided to renovate adjoining buildings instead of replacing them with parking, and he's busy planning his next addition to downtown's Automobile Alley: the Iguana Mexican Grill.

"It's all a question of how do you eat a really big steak,” said Mason, who owns Cardinal Engineering and Earl's Rib Palace. "You eat one bite at a time. There are a lot of bites here, but it's progressing as it should progress.”

Mason bought the 1015 N Broadway building knowing the task of bringing it back to life had overwhelmed previous owners. The building was empty throughout much of the 1980s and 1990s, and its first floor was briefly home to Habitat for Humanity's Renovation Station. Attorneys had completed architectural renderings and gone through the city's urban design committee with their own plan to convert the building into offices before they sold it to Mason.

Mason at first thought the building's major upgrades would just include a new stairway, mechanical systems and an elevator.

Instead, his architects — not the city — decided to condemn 60 percent of the building.

"We had to tear out the three structural floors, we had to tear out the slab, and we had to put in footings to support the interior of the building because what was there was inadequate by today's standards,” he said. "The building has stood there all this time just fine, but we want to do it right.”

The worst of the job is now over, Mason says, joking that he's relying on assurances by Timberlake Construction that the renovation will be complete by January.

More retail
    Mason said his understanding of urban development has continued to evolve since he first decided to take the plunge downtown, after having spent a lifetime living and working in suburban Oklahoma City.
    While he's better known for his barbecue restaurants, one of Mason's earliest entries into the business was with the Iguana Lounge on Western Avenue.

"When we closed, we were tired — we needed a break,” Mason said. "And parking was an issue.”

Robert Painter, who managed the original Iguana Lounge, said he was thrilled to learn from Mason that he wanted to reopen the restaurant as the Iguana Mexican Grill at 1007 N Broadway.

"It was the best job I ever had,” Painter said. "I had a love and a passion for this.”

Painter and Mason say what made the Iguana Lounge special — its fun, casual atmosphere — will return with the new restaurant. They are planning on a March 1 opening. The restaurant, which will seat 140 people, is in a building that, like the neighboring 1015 N Broadway, was an earlyday car dealership. The pair hope the long expanse, high ceilings and an open bar will help create distinctly different dining areas that will appeal to families, medical students on a budget and couples looking for a nice evening out on the town.

The decor will include exposed brick walls and old wood flooring removed from other aging downtown properties. The building, built in 1918, is being restored to its historic facade.

"I want it to appear as if it's been there, as if the entire building is old,” Painter said. "I don't want it so cold and modern that you're not comfortable. I want it to be comfortable enough you can come in slacks and a T-shirt.”

Mason hopes the restaurant, teamed with the Red Prime Steakhouse opened earlier this year by Keith and Heather Paul on the south end of Automobile Alley, will encourage more eateries to open for business along Broadway.

Mason already has decided to go against the trend of Broadway property owners who use their first floors for enclosed parking. But after encountering what he said is "strong retail interest” in his block of properties, he's going to renovate adjoining concrete block buildings instead of turning them into surface parking.

Likewise, after buying properties along NW 9 east of Broadway to provide more parking, he's decided against tearing down buildings on that stretch as well.

Mason refers to 10th-grade lessons about "spheres of influence” when asked why he's willing to take such risks.

"Back then, we were all being told about the Soviet sphere of influence,” Mason said. "And there is a sphere of influence occurring here, with 12 different entities providing a positive influence on this entire area — you have Greg Banta, St. Anthony Hospital, the folks at Red Prime all getting things done. And when you have all that, you get a much better project than what 12 people could have done individually.”

Built in 1908, the former Pierce Arrow/Cadillac dealership at 1015 N Broadway was one of Oklahoma City's earliest car dealerships. The building fell into disrepair by the 1990s, but is now being renovated by Steve Mason. Provided By Steve Mason

Having been a long time Western sider, I love the Iguana Lounge, I was sad when it closed. I went into depression when Tera Luna closed.

I loved Iguana as well and am very happy to see it come back even if it is in a different form. But mentioning Terra Luna... very interesting idea. I remember hearing they were pushed out of their space and didn't go willingly. Maybe a reunite all of the closed Western restaurants on Broadway. Varsity Grill on Broadway perhaps?

Maybe not Varsity Grill necessarily, but a GOOD sports bar would be a good fit down there. With Varsitys closing, the whole metro is in dire need for a good sports bar. If anyone has been to Ringers in Austin, that is a good sports bar.

11. Default Re: Iguana Lounge

I hope that Iguana has the same menu as before... Their honey smoked bean nachos were amazing.. and I agree, Terra Luna needs to return also... yumm.. Lets turn OKC into the next Addison district in Dallas..

You mean AA similar to Addision, not the entire city of OKC like the Addison Entertainment District?

13. Default Re: Iguana Lounge

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    You mean AA similar to Addision, not the entire city of OKC like the Addison Entertainment District?
    From what I have heard Addison has the largest concentration of restaurants in any city in the United States.. I could be wrong but in their 4.3 square miles of area, they have 170 restaurants.. I think they are beating us quite a bit.. More choices would more than likely mean more choices for healthy food.. Unlike in OKC, where we have mostly just fast food choices..

FYI...I drove by last night, they have 2 signs up on the building and it is looking quite impressive. I imagine it will be open within a few weeks. Very nice and secluded location in downtown. Reminds you of Deep Fork on Western Ave. a little bit with the off the beaten path location and the trees.

That really surprises me but is good to know. I got a coupon somewhere for a free order of nachos which stated they would be open in June. I drove by just a few weeks ago and could not see how that would ever happen.

"Off the beaten path downtown" doesn't sound like a long-term successful location.

Quote Originally Posted by diesel View Post
    I hope that Iguana has the same menu as before... Their honey smoked bean nachos were amazing.. and I agree, Terra Luna needs to return also... yumm.. Lets turn OKC into the next Addison district in Dallas..
    As long as they bring back their "perfect" margaritas, I'll be a very, very happy camper. And ditto on Terra Luna. That was one of the best (and fairly reasonable) spots in town.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    "Off the beaten path downtown" doesn't sound like a long-term successful location.
    I think you'll be surprised.

19. Default Re: Iguana Lounge

I noticed they are a sponsor of Dead Center's FilmFaction series. Getting an early start...

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    FYI...I drove by last night, they have 2 signs up on the building and it is looking quite impressive. I imagine it will be open within a few weeks. Very nice and secluded location in downtown. Reminds you of Deep Fork on Western Ave. a little bit with the off the beaten path location and the trees.

Any updates on when they plan to open?

21. Default Re: Iguana Lounge

Quote Originally Posted by sdsooners View Post
    Any updates on when they plan to open?
    I think they are going through their soft opening process right now and should be open to the general public in a week or so
    The Old Downtown Guy

It will take decades for Oklahoma City's
    downtown core to regain its lost gritty,
    dynamic urban character, but it's exciting
    to observe and participate in the transformation.

22. Default Re: Iguana Lounge

I still havent figured out where they are located... Anyone have an address?!! I do not see anything written on any building or any signs..

23. Default Re: Iguana Lounge

You have to drive down 7th east of Broadway. It's really tucked away.

Actually, it is on 9th east of Broadway about a block and a half.

I drove by this morning! Neat-looking building tucked away on the north side of the street, just west of the RR tracks, next to some really dilapitated old houses, one of which is under renovation.

The building itself is one story, but in a kind of tan brick color. They've done some neat enhancements to it. The sign on the front of the building says "Iguana Grill" in orange letters. Once you're there, it's really hard to miss.

Neat location, especially since there are so many trees on the west. This should provide nice shade cover for the patio and parking areas and keep the outdoor areas from getting too hot.

I'm anxious to see what the interior looks like.

Thread Information