Widgets Magazine

Thread: Downtown OKC groups pitch canal extension plan...

Default Downtown OKC groups pitch canal extension plan...

Momentum is building behind the scenes for an extension of the Bricktown Canal that would bring the waterway to the Myriad Gardens.

Tim Brassfield, executive director of the All Sports Association, and Brett Price, president of Urban Neighbors, say their boards recently passed resolutions supporting such a move after the effort was initially launched by the Bricktown Association.

Bricktown Association Chairwoman Avis Scaramucci and Director Jim Cowan declined to comment on the campaign. But several sources verify the discussions also involved top business and civic leaders, Mayor Mick Cornett and City Manager Jim Couch.

The resolution passed by Urban Neighbors mirrors one passed by the Bricktown Association and suggests an extension would change the canal from being just an attraction to a pedestrian thoroughfare.

The plan being pitched would extend the canal from where it dead-ends at the BNSF Railway viaduct; the new waterway would pass under the rail bridge at Reno Avenue, continue between the Cox Convention Center and Ford Center, and end at the Myriad Gardens.

Such a waterway would allow big crowds attending events at Ford Center to walk to Bricktown or to the Arts District without crossing busy traffic corridors.

The extension is also being pitched as a way to provide better access to downtown green space, including the gardens and the Oklahoma River.

What’s uncertain is how such an extension might be funded. The project is not being publically mentioned as a potential MAPS 3 project (Mayor Cornett has been pitching light rail, public transit, Core to Shore and a new central park).

Nor has it been mentioned as a potential improvement to be funded by the Devon Energy tower tax increment finance district.

But the idea of a canal extension is not new. When the canal plans were created, the city’s public works department drew up a map showing a similar extension plan that also included a loop around what is now the Centennial Building in Lower Bricktown.

In my visits with various players in this deal, it seems they are more focused at simply getting the canal considered as part of a larger discussion on what’s next for downtown.

Consultants are drafting up plans for future development of Bricktown and how to bring the city from a tier three to a tier two convention market — so it’s difficult to see how this time isn’t better than any other to at least discuss whether such a canal extension is possible.

http://www.newsok.com/downtown-okc-g...ad_story_title

Default Re: Downtown OKC groups pitch canal extension plan...

Although the new crosstown appears to kill all hope, I used to wish for more of a tie-in between the south canal and the spur and plaza at the river.

But we enjoy canal strolls. Adding to it on either end will make me happy.

This idea had been discussed here before, and I think it's a fantastic idea.

Would really help to tie the CBD to Bricktown and help people better flow between the two.

It's a great idea and would do a lot to give more utility to the canal. Right now I'm sure quite a few boat riders are left thinking: "That was neat - what's the point?"

Quote Originally Posted by wsucougz View Post
    It's a great idea and would do a lot to give more utility to the canal. Right now I'm sure quite a few boat riders are left thinking: "That was neat - what's the point?"
    If they do this they will completely have to make Reno at Oklahoma a 'west to north' & 'south to east' intersection. They could still build that garage, make it an underground entrance where Reno were to dead end. Then tunnel over to the garage. Above this tunnel create an extended, minimal, grass area. The canal from this point could take all of Reno from this point west between the Myriad and Ford Center--same width, but exceptionally wider sidewalks for sporting fans to walk along the canal than at other points, as this corridor would be more for walkers than boaters. Unfortunately this only leaves Sheridan & Main Street as vital entrances into Bricktown from the west. Of course, all of this will be alleviated once 'The Boulevard' is built to the south, courtesy of the new Crosstown.

7. Default Re: Downtown OKC groups pitch canal extension plan...

Quote Originally Posted by wsucougz View Post
    Right now I'm sure quite a few boat riders are left thinking: "That was neat - what's the point?"
    What exactly about extending it past a hotel and two arenas would change this??

I'm not in favor of it.

We aren't even close to filling out the retail/commercial space that lines the canal. There's no funding for the canal extension, much less the major changes that would have to be made to Reno.

And what exactly are we going to look at as the canal passes between the tunnel and Myriad Gardens? Concrete walls, with a few trees here and there? Isn't that what we have for a much shorter distance in LBT, yet people hate it?
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

8. Default Re: Downtown OKC groups pitch canal extension plan...

I think there are better projects to be had at the moment. Improvement and beautification of what we have existing would be better, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCMallen View Post
    I think there are better projects to be had at the moment. Improvement and beautification of what we have existing would be better, IMO.
    Then I guess it's a good thing that they're possibly talking about it now and HOPEFULLY thinking about doing it rather later than sooner. Maybe the talk of this project is like Core to Shore. An eventual improvement that will actually be taken care of after Devon is built, after the new Crosstown is built (see my above post), after the new boulevard is built (see above again). I'm all for the extension, but just that it may be included in the latter improvements of Maps III or maybe one of the first projects of Maps IV.

10. Default Re: Downtown OKC groups pitch canal extension plan...

Completely agree.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

The most important benefit would be the direct connection between C2S and Bricktown.

12. Default Re: Downtown OKC groups pitch canal extension plan...

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Then I guess it's a good thing that they're possibly talking about it now and HOPEFULLY thinking about doing it rather later than sooner. Maybe the talk of this project is like Core to Shore. An eventual improvement that will actually be taken care of after Devon is built, after the new Crosstown is built (see my above post), after the new boulevard is built (see above again). I'm all for the extension, but just that it may be included in the latter improvements of Maps III or maybe one of the first projects of Maps IV.
    Something I DON'T have to guess at: no need to be a pompous ass.

Something I DON'T have to guess at: no need to be a pompous ass.
    Please understand OKCMallen, there was no ill intention with my post. If I were to be ill, being that on the internet DUH (see that was intent) you can not see the intentions or emotions of others unless they show it with a little caricature over to our right there -->

If I'm totally unaware of your feelings I apologize. It was not a personal attack. I've blamed others for a personal attack and therefore I do not blame you. Send me a personal message next time and we'll take care of it from within. Thanks for the response ;-)

Thread Information