Widgets Magazine

Thread: Lackmeyer Book Signing - Thursday 2/12

1. Default Lackmeyer Book Signing - Thursday 2/12

Great news for people who slept through the last one ... like me. I see that Steve is having another book signing and this one looks pretty darned good.

On THURSDAY, February 12, the book signing per se is from 5:00 to 6:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. until 8:00 p.m. at the Red Dirt Emporium on the Bricktown Canal.

But, between 6 and 7 p.m., the venue moves to Mickey Mantle's Steakhouse for an event in which Jim Cowan, executive director of the Bricktown association, and Steve will present a rare video of an interview with the visionary Neal Horton who didn't live to see his dream come true. A Q&A session will be held during the eating of the free munchies provided by the Urban Neighbors neighborhood association.

For more about this, see Steve's blog ... Special Bricktown Event. In addition to Steve's blog, Red Dirt Emporium has a poop sheet about the event here: http://www.reddirtemporium.com/media...e_02-03-09.pdf and also a flyer describing Steve and the book is here: http://www.reddirtemporium.com/media...ktown_book.pdf

To protect your spot, it would be good to complete the on-line reservation for this event at Book signing | Oklahoma's Red Dirt Emporium

Hopefully I won't be sleeping through this one like I did the last!

2. Default Re: Lackmeyer Book Signing - Thursday 2/12

Doug, thanks so much for helping get the news out. One point of clarification: while the appetizers will be furnished by Mickey Mantle's, the presentation/Q&A will actually be in a vacant canal-level retail space sharing a common area with our store, not in the MM's restaurant. No traipsing around required.

One very, very important point: the presentation/Q&A portion, which will again be from 6 PM or 7 PM, is subject to limited seating. We're anticipating a pretty full house for that portion, so I cannot stress enough that if you plan to attend this session you should visit my website and reserve your spot. One caveat: since this started as an official Urban Neighbors social, if the event overbooks paid Urban Neighbors members (who have pre-registered) will be given seating priority. After that, priority will be given to people in the order in which they reserved.

One item of interest: Steve is now the custodian of the original corporate seal for the late Neal Horton's Warehouse Development Corporation. He will bring that seal (along with some other Bricktown artifacts he has) and will emboss the signature page of each book he signs. This is NOT something he will typically be doing at other signings; at this point this is in fact the only event in which he has chosen to do so. Maybe I'm just a Bricktown/downtown geek, but I can't tell you how special I think this aspect of the event is.

Lastly, brush up on your Bricktown trivia. We will have a fun trivia contest regarding the district during the presentation. Winners will receive some cool prizes from the store and elsewhere. The questions don't necessarily pertain to information from the book, by the way.

Again, thanks Doug for posting, and I hope to meet lots of OKC Talk folks at the event.

3. Default Re: Lackmeyer Book Signing - Thursday 2/12

Thanks Doug for the assist! Chad, now I'm going to really have to make sure I get that seal out of my research box!

4. Default Re: Lackmeyer Book Signing - Thursday 2/12

Research box? I thought you were probably carrying it around in your pocket.

5. Default Re: Lackmeyer Book Signing - Thursday 2/12

Here's a link to the interview Steve did early this morning on channel 9 regarding the book.

The reservations are going well, by the way. A number of longtime downtown advocates have reserved, as have architects and civic leaders. Should make for a lively and informative discussion. There are still some spots left, however I can't stress enough that folks who want to be at the presentation and Q&A need to reserve a spot by going here.

6. Default Re: Lackmeyer Book Signing - Thursday 2/12

Well, I just got word that Steve is having trouble tracking down the Warehouse Development Company corporate seal. That doesn't mean that it won't be there; it probably just means he hasn't looked under the 25th layer of newspapers in the back seat of his car.

Default Re: Lackmeyer Book Signing - Thursday 2/12

Steve, it's time to clean out the station wagon! I want my book to have the special seal. See you tomorrow man.

8. Default Re: Lackmeyer Book Signing - Thursday 2/12

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Steve, it's time to clean out the station wagon! I want my book to have the special seal. See you tomorrow man.
    If you mean the book signing, better make that the day after tomorrow, Metro!

True, although didn't I tell you about my secret Delorean Time Machine?

10. Default Re: Lackmeyer Book Signing - Thursday 2/12

OK, so we're all clear - it's Thursday night - tomorrow - and I have no doubt I'll see Metro there either way. I'm eager to see his Delorean. I, however, have all my clutter neatly disorganized in a 1999 Toyota Corolla.

11. Default Re: Lackmeyer Book Signing - Thursday 2/12

OK, after you've cleaned out everywhere including under the seats in the station wagon, when you've gone through the OKC Second Time Around, Bricktown and Skirvin research boxes (and boxes for two future books), you end up with just two options left - hiring a PI or groveling to the wife to help in the search.
    I love my wife.
    The official corporate seal for Neal Horton's Warehouse Development Co. has been located. I will be stamping the seal into books at Thursday night's signing as mentioned by Chad. This will be the only opportunity where books will be sold with the seal added.

Steve,

What one-time only thing will you be doing at your next book signing? Creating your own signature cologne and spraying the books pages with it? Come on, all the celebrities are doing it these days.. J/K See you tonight and looking forward to getting my copy of the book.

13. Default Re: Lackmeyer Book Signing - Thursday 2/12

Nope. No spray, though I can provide you with Paris Hilton's putrid stuff . (heh, heh)

I'm actually very happy that this event is being hosted by Urban Neighbors. We had one very special signing for OKC Second Time Around, and that was at Full Circle Books (Shane can give details on that one). This is the one special signing for "Bricktown," and Chad told me there is yet another one-time-only very special surprise being planned for tonight by one his neighbors.

14. Default Re: Lackmeyer Book Signing - Thursday 2/12

Here's a hint: he is NOT talking about Coyote Ugly.

15. Default Re: Lackmeyer Book Signing - Thursday 2/12

What a great turnout tonight ... the place was packed. Urban Neighbors and Red Dirt Emporium did a great job as hosts and a great time was had by all. It would have been OK by me, though, if someone had, in fact, talked about Coyote Ugly!

Yep, good turnout and the video was interesting to watch. Got my book and saw Doug, BoulderSooner, UrbanPioneer, Steve (of course) and many others. Unfortunately I had to leave early because my wife was sick. Oh, and the food provided by Mickey Mantles was great!

Here's a pic from last night: Jim Cowan, Steve Lackmeyer, Chad Huntington , the old guy that's head is chopped off is a 91 year old man who's company has been in Bricktown forever, Steve help me out..........

Thread Information