Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 79 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121358 ... LastLast

Thread: Whole Foods

Default Re: Whole Foods...

Sure Whole Foods is nice... but is it really bringing about peace and prosperity?

Who can really afford to shop at the Wal-Mart of organic foods anyway?

I just don't trust any company that is aggressively creating a monopoly... puts on a face of "saving the world" yet is devoted to profit... and that pays way lower wages than they can afford.

I think I'll shop at Eley's and plant a garden.

2. Default Re: Whole Foods...

Quote Originally Posted by Platemaker View Post
    1000% agree

I'm sick of hearing people whine about how there's no "organic" food for them to buy or that shopping for food at walmart is evil and beneath them..

plant a damn garden, buy a goat, some chickens and get over yourself

Profit is required for businesses to... stay in business. Profit is not a bad thing.

4. Default Re: Whole Foods...

Sure Whole Foods is nice... but is it really bringing about peace and prosperity?

Who can really afford to shop at the Wal-Mart of organic foods anyway?

I just don't trust any company that is aggressively creating a monopoly... puts on a face of "saving the world" yet is devoted to profit... and that pays way lower wages than they can afford.

To each his own. I think the main point is that OKC has no really nice groceries that offer something different. Some people prefer a nice, clean, uncrowded store that isn't full of screaming 4 year olds.

And for those of you that don't understand this, try finding really good seafood for sale at Eley's.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Profit is required for businesses to... stay in business. Profit is not a bad thing.
    We all know that you have this view, Luke.

You're right... but when a business makes it's business about "saving the earth", "doing the right thing", "champions of health, the environment, and sustainability" consumers expect this is priority of a company instead of simply making money on high-priced items in a low-wage environment.

I'ts a mega chain concept behind a socially-responsible face... swallowing competitors.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    And for those of you that don't understand this, try finding really good seafood for sale at Eley's.
    In that case... Avalon, Gulfport, G&R, Super Cao Nguyen, and that one at 23rd and Meridian....

7. Default Re: Whole Foods...

So you would rather waste all that gas going to 6 different stores driving all over town? Some of us don't have the time or the inclination to do that JUST to day we shop at Eley's. Those stores serve a purpose, but the convenience of finding it at the general grocery store is something absent in OKC. I'm not married to Whole Foods but OKC needs another chain of grocers that is not a "low-value," low service, bag it yourself type of place. Many of us want something nice and clean that has high quality seafood and a high quality butcher.

I'ts a mega chain concept behind a socially-responsible face... swallowing competitors.
    Then it's doing something right. If they are attracting more customers than the other guys and able to make money, that sounds like a good thing, to me.

Quote Originally Posted by foodiefan View Post
    'nother thought. . .put a WF/CM between a high income and on-the edge area. . .and see how/if the on-the-edge revitalizes. . .I'm bettin' on it!!
    Companies like this dont make a habit of trying to revitalize areas or locating somewhere speculating it will get better. They go to the places that are already better.

So you would rather waste all that gas going to 6 different stores driving all over town? Some of us don't have the time or the inclination to do that JUST to day we shop at Eley's. Those stores serve a purpose, but the convenience of finding it at the general grocery store is something absent in OKC. I'm not married to Whole Foods but OKC needs another chain of grocers that is not a "low-value," low service, bag it yourself type of place. Many of us want something nice and clean that has high quality seafood and a high quality butcher.
    I guess I just don't find it a waste of time supporting the mom and pops. I think that considering Whole foods "high-value" is matter of opinion. I truly think fancy packaging and make many sheeple... err people think something tastes better as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Then it's doing something right. If they are attracting more customers than the other guys and able to make money, that sounds like a good thing, to me.
    LOL... I guess that's 'fair' true in our capitalistic society... but I suspect when it come these matters you and I are on two different planets.

Didn't you see Wall-E??!?!?! Megalomart?!?!?!

... sometimes you downright scare me!

I am not a Whole Foods hater, though I preferred Central Market when I had the opportunity to choose. The main problem is we don't have the choice of an upper-scale grocery. I moved her from Dallas and took the stores for granted. Having to pick between Homeland, Buy-4-less and Walmart Market is like picking which pile of turd I want to sleep in. Sure, it will keep me warm, but my friends will make fun of me when they see where I sleep.

Whole foods provides a great cheese selection, olive bar, homemade sausages, fresh seafoods and pre-made foods (when I just don't have the energy to cook). When I got Homieland, I get hepatitis-C in the parking lot, a belly of indigestion from the deli foods and a decent processed cheese fridge.

I don't understand why a grocer won't move into this area. Mesta Park, Crown Heights, Putnam Heights, etc.. seems there is plenty of money to support ONE upscale grocer.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Companies like this dont make a habit of trying to revitalize areas or locating somewhere speculating it will get better. They go to the places that are already better.
    . . .ah, yes. . .but I posed this more as a "what if". . . .than a "why don't they"??

I love all the ready to eat food. They have awesome soup and their salad/hot bars are awesome! The bakery and other hot food ready to eat areas are great too.

Their produce is top notch too.

I like Central Market more, but it is like a maze getting around it. At least the one in Houston I used to go to was.

As others have expressed, it is really just baffling that we don't have a single good option anywhere in the entire metro...in nearly any other metro area in the country there are at least some upscale grocery stores to choose from, and you do take them for granted because they are so common...Albertson's was reasonable option, but not a great one...and since they left town, the situation is even worse...

From what i've seen Wholefoods does alot of speculation when building a new store, thinking more long term than immediate. I am just curious how the store in Tulsa opened if the booze laws are what's keeping them out of okc.

Crescent Market is an upscale grocery store in Oklahoma City, although not a Whole Foods type. But they have some very nice brands and a fair amount of variety for the size of the store, as well as a true butcher shop.

If you look in previous posts in this thread Whole Foods in Tulsa came about when they bought out Wild Oats, a chain which already had a store in Tulsa.

Quote Originally Posted by XtraStout View Post
    From what i've seen Wholefoods does alot of speculation when building a new store, thinking more long term than immediate. I am just curious how the store in Tulsa opened if the booze laws are what's keeping them out of okc.
    Ok - for the last time - its not liquor laws that are keeping Whole Foods out of OKC. In Colorado - the unmistaken mecca for hippie foodies that go to Whole Foods and also home to one of the Whole Foods corporate offices - you can't purchase liquor in the stores.

Quote Originally Posted by gamecock View Post
    As others have expressed, it is really just baffling that we don't have a single good option anywhere in the entire metro...in nearly any other metro area in the country there are at least some upscale grocery stores to choose from, and you do take them for granted because they are so common...Albertson's was reasonable option, but not a great one...and since they left town, the situation is even worse...
    Others will argue that we have X store, and Y store, and Z store and these combined equal Whole Foods (or a similar store). They do not. While I do not mind dropping by some of the local gourmet shops, or Market-C type places, I'd like to see much of this under one roof, so I don't have to drive all the way to Forward Foods in Norman, then Market C, then Crescent just to pick up what I could pick up in one stop to WF or a similar place.

It is sad that whenever my wife and I go on vacation or trip we have to see where a WF will be so we can make a stop and stock up for awhile. Maybe the local specialty groceries could some how partner together to offer a more unique grocery store that offered the things that WF offers.

20. Default Re: Whole Foods...

This really is different from getting a Hard Rock or even a Dave & Busters, IMO. This is an area where we are severely and noticeably lacking and it may be keeping people away and certainly is contributing to people wanting to move elsewhere.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

21. Default Re: Whole Foods...

Quote Originally Posted by amylynn5656 View Post
    Ok - for the last time - its not liquor laws that are keeping Whole Foods out of OKC. In Colorado - the unmistaken mecca for hippie foodies that go to Whole Foods and also home to one of the Whole Foods corporate offices - you can't purchase liquor in the stores.
    I will second that. Just moved from CO a few months ago and the huge new Whole Foods they built down the street had no liquor.

Just an FYI - groceries are a big issue everywhere. Albertson's just closed more stores in Denver and will be closing their distribution warehouse there. They just can't compete with the other chains + Wal Mart and SuperTarget. However, I have always put Albertson's on equal footing with Homeland as far as quality, choice, spaciousness and clenliness.

Colorado is hardly a fair comparison, as there are NINETEEN Whole Food's already there and many do have wine and beer.

The liquor laws are not the only reason they aren't in OKC but it's certainly a consideration when trying to decide between here and other places to put their limited expansion dollars and resources.

Beer & wine have big margins and it defies common (and business) sense to think a store doesn't look at that when evaluating locations.

However, I have always put Albertson's on equal footing with Homeland as far as quality, choice, spaciousness and clenliness.
    I will assume you haven't shopped at the Homelands in the non-suburbs then.

Try the Homieland on 39th and Penn. Then try the Homeland on 18th and Classeen. Then see how they compare to any other grocery chain. It is appalling. Walmart Market at 23rd and Penn does well, so we have no other choice but to support Walmart.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    Colorado is hardly a fair comparison, as there are NINETEEN Whole Food's already there and many do have wine and beer.

The liquor laws are not the only reason they aren't in OKC but it's certainly a consideration when trying to decide between here and other places to put their limited expansion dollars and resources.

Beer & wine have big margins and it defies common (and business) sense to think a store doesn't look at that when evaluating locations.
    Most of those Colorado locations were previous Wild Oats locations since Wild Oats was based in Boulder.

The Whole Foods in Boston does not have beer or wine as well, they still have a "package store" type of restriction like Oklahoma but no 3.2 beer law.

There was an article in the Austin paper a few weeks ago about the liquor store licensing issue, we have chains like Spec's due to a "pooling" of licenses by family members. Spec's is much more than just a liquor store, the one here in South Austin went into a former Academy location and has a deli/cheese department and other foods, it is a very good store even for the non-drinker like my wife.

25. Default Re: Whole Foods...

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post

What gives you that idea? Colorado is a 3.2 beer state.
    Continue the Renaissance!!!

Thread Information