Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 79 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111257 ... LastLast

Thread: Whole Foods

1. Default Re: Whole Foods...

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Tulsa has no problem supporting a Whole Foods and their demographics are smaller than OKC. We could probably support several of them.
    Hmm, I heard the Tulsa store isn't doing so hot, especially after the spider incident.

From what I understand, there was "raw food event" with Philip Hiserodt a couple weeks ago as a last-ditch effort to boost local support. Only 50 people showed up.

It seems like everytime we get something "upscale" here that a handful of people beg for, it always shuts down within a year.

Default Re: Whole Foods...

Who cares if it's a Whole Foods? Trader Joe's or any of the others would do fine. Frankly, the Whole Foods in Tulsa is not as cool as the Wild Oats was, IMO.

Does anyone think the reason Whole Foods hasn't announced an OKC location yet has to do with the fact that their stock has been absolutely hammered and that their store's sales are down?

3. Default Re: Whole Foods...

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Who cares if it's a Whole Foods? Trader Joe's or any of the others would do fine. Frankly, the Whole Foods in Tulsa is not as cool as the Wild Oats was, IMO.

Does anyone think the reason Whole Foods hasn't announced an OKC location yet has to do with the fact that their stock has been absolutely hammered and that their store's sales are down?
    But they are still opening stores... in markets that are already saturated with locations.
    Continue the Renaissance!!!

I thought it had to do with our backwards-ass liquor laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I've been told they have stores in suburban NYC that do not allow wine sales.

It shouldn't have anything to do with liquor laws. In Colorado, a state that probably has more Whole Foods stores than I have fingers and toes, you can't purchase liquor or wine in them. If I've said it once, I've said it a million times, it doesn't have to do with the liquor laws - its likely a combination of reasons, a few that pop into mind...limited local farmer support and demand for locally grown items (our Farmer's Market doesn't seem to attract a lot of vendors or visitors - which is a shame), a state-wide socio-economic status that doesn't comply with the price point of most Whole Foods items, a location that would actually work (Classen Curve is a nice idea...I think that one would actually work), and the fact that Whole Foods has become a victim of the recession (like many of us) and simply doesn't want to invest in a potentially risky market.

7. Default Re: Whole Foods...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I'm starting to think Oklahoma's laws are becoming a dumping ground of sorts.

Well, we will get a new monument to the Ten Commandments.....

Well, we will get a new monument to the Ten Commandments.....

ugh.

do any of the supporters of an OKC Whole Foods do their shopping at Akins?

They have a nice selection of organic and healthy stuff -- smallish produce and far too many supplements for my liking - but I like their dairy and dry foods and health & beauty options.

I can't find my fav Brown Cow yogurts anywhere but Akins!
    and Sulfate-free hair products for you gals that use color!

Akins is great, but its no Whole Foods. No fresh meats or seafood. No prepared food, salad bar, flowers, etc.

I shop at Akin's regularly, and its great for someone whose focus is to eat organic foods, but what I appreciate about Whole Foods is the selection - something that Akin's is decidedly lacking. Also, I'm not sure where Akin's gets their produce, but I know Whole Foods places importance on eating not only organically, but locally and seasonally as well.

Quote Originally Posted by tburn View Post
    ugh.

do any of the supporters of an OKC Whole Foods do their shopping at Akins?

They have a nice selection of organic and healthy stuff -- smallish produce and far too many supplements for my liking - but I like their dairy and dry foods and health & beauty options.

I can't find my fav Brown Cow yogurts anywhere but Akins!
    and Sulfate-free hair products for you gals that use color!
    Yes, we do for some things. SuperTarget also carries most of the same organic products, and at much cheaper prices. I'd really prefer to support Akin's, but the selection is random and as you stated, wayyyyy too many supplements and not enough grocery/produce selection.

FWIW, I was in the Tulsa Whole Foods today and two different employees told me that the regional director was there this morning and told them that Whole Foods is seriously looking for "the perfect location" but due to economy nothing would be built for about two more years. I did not think to ask if WF would go ahead and buy property if the "perfect location" were found. I assume so or they would not be looking now.

BTW, the Tulsa WF is doing very well contrary to the OP's comments. I was there about 9am since I had a meeting later and the place was already bustling with customers. One of the employees told me that the regional director said the Tulsa store was a top performer given its demographics etc.

A caveat is that I heard the same things a year or so ago and think it even may be posted on this thread somewhere but I'm too lazy to look.

13. Default Re: Whole Foods...

Anyone try out the Oklahoma Food Cooperative?

14. Default Re: Whole Foods...

Quote Originally Posted by Dekoung View Post
    FWIW, I was in the Tulsa Whole Foods today and two different employees told me that the regional director was there this morning and told them that Whole Foods is seriously looking for "the perfect location" but due to economy nothing would be built for about two more years. I did not think to ask if WF would go ahead and buy property if the "perfect location" were found. I assume so or they would not be looking now.
    i wish they'd buy the property at NW 150th & Western.

I heard from a reputable inside source that "promising news" is coming soon. I don't know what that means, but it's from a very reputable source, so hope that helps.

Are they "promising" not to come here...

... just kidding ; )

Yeah, Steve Lackmeyer posted a conspicuous blurb at his blog over the weekend (which "self-destructed" the next day). It seemed to hint that Whole Foods may be coming to The Classen Curve...not sure about it, but it gives me hope!

I have been giving this some thought in light of Steve's recent column, why doesn't OKC have these high-end groceries, and I've started to wonder if it has to do with the geography of our city, and how the money is spread out. We all know there is plenty of money here, but the high-income neighborhoods are separated from one another to such a degree that there isn't a large enough number of high-end neighborhoods concentrated together. Where is the $? Heritage hills, Nichols Hills, Quail Creek/Val Verde/Gallardia, North Edmond, Deer Creek, far SW OKC, Norman. I think in other cities there are many more high-income areas crammed together so that the demographics look better on paper (number of high earners in a given 10 mile radius). How would OKC's demographics look to out of state chains if the Westmoore school district was superimposed on the Broadway Extension, if The Village and Britton were replaced with the west Norman neighborhoods, if Oak Tree, Faircloud were along 122nd and Memorial instead of 20 mind north? I think of KC, Dallas, even Tulsa and their money seems more clustered and maybe all those rooftops look more attractive? I don't want to come across as a snob, it's just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by stlokc View Post
    I have been giving this some thought in light of Steve's recent column, why doesn't OKC have these high-end groceries, and I've started to wonder if it has to do with the geography of our city, and how the money is spread out. We all know there is plenty of money here, but the high-income neighborhoods are separated from one another to such a degree that there isn't a large enough number of high-end neighborhoods concentrated together. Where is the $? Heritage hills, Nichols Hills, Quail Creek/Val Verde/Gallardia, North Edmond, Deer Creek, far SW OKC, Norman. I think in other cities there are many more high-income areas crammed together so that the demographics look better on paper (number of high earners in a given 10 mile radius). How would OKC's demographics look to out of state chains if the Westmoore school district was superimposed on the Broadway Extension, if The Village and Britton were replaced with the west Norman neighborhoods, if Oak Tree, Faircloud were along 122nd and Memorial instead of 20 mind north? I think of KC, Dallas, even Tulsa and their money seems more clustered and maybe all those rooftops look more attractive? I don't want to come across as a snob, it's just a thought.
    I don't think your being a snob at all. Its a very accurate oberservation. I stated in an earlier thread how demographics are often broken down by zip code, and in OKC even the zip codes with the wealthiest neighborhoods often have large pockets of poverty. Everything here is so scattered, even when compared to similar sized cities like Tulsa. I noticed this on my drive to work. On 122nd and MacAthur you have strings of very nice upscale neighborhoods as you go east, like Val Verde and Quail Creek, and then you get past May and BAM, you're surrounded by crumbling low income apartments, with no "transition zone" between the two. I think it has harmed OKC immensly when it comes to luring retailers.

How does Whole Foods prices compare with The Health Food Center (on 240) or Akin's prices?

21. Default Re: Whole Foods...

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    I don't think your being a snob at all. Its a very accurate oberservation. I stated in an earlier thread how demographics are often broken down by zip code, and in OKC even the zip codes with the wealthiest neighborhoods often have large pockets of poverty. Everything here is so scattered, even when compared to similar sized cities like Tulsa. I noticed this on my drive to work. On 122nd and MacAthur you have strings of very nice upscale neighborhoods as you go east, like Val Verde and Quail Creek, and then you get past May and BAM, you're surrounded by crumbling low income apartments, with no "transition zone" between the two. I think it has harmed OKC immensly when it comes to luring retailers.
    I have to agree with you and stlokc. Even in Houston, all of the high income areas are crammed into a quadrant just west of downtown including the galleria, and in the sprawl zone just northwest of Houston, otherwise known as Bammel and Klein. The rest of Houston is ghetto.

But, I do want to point out an observation I've noticed over the last nine years in OKC, and it becomes more obvious now that I am an outsider looking in... a lot of these low-income sections that are scattered between high-income pockets are beginning to disappear. Take Nichols Hills for instance. Just west of Nichold Hills when you get back into OKC, people with money have been buying two lots with old small homes, knocking them down and then they build a large home on a consolidated lot. And in the Quail Springs region, the new developments are conjoining Val Verde, The Greens, Quail Creek and Gaillardia with Edmond. Soon, it will be one big giant high income area that will bode well for our retail market.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    How does Whole Foods prices compare with The Health Food Center (on 240) or Akin's prices?
    I think it's more an issue of product and product variety. . .not so much price.

'nother thought. . .put a WF/CM between a high income and on-the edge area. . .and see how/if the on-the-edge revitalizes. . .I'm bettin' on it!!

Quote Originally Posted by foodiefan View Post
    'nother thought. . .put a WF/CM between a high income and on-the edge area. . .and see how/if the on-the-edge revitalizes. . .I'm bettin' on it!!
    Agree! When they built a WF on Lemmon Avenue in Dallas, it is surrounded by affluent Highland Park and the Oak Lawn area which parts of it are somewhat seedy, however, since that WF has been built, (Nice Store) it seems they have bulldozed swaths of old run down areas of Oak Lawn and have built upscale apartments condos, stores etc...

25. Default Re: Whole Foods...

Yeah, one of my biggest financial regrets was not buying a condo in that area in the early 90's when I had my chance for < $50K. I could have sold it for tear-down for close to $500K.

Thread Information