Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 79 FirstFirst 12345678954 ... LastLast

Thread: Whole Foods

Default Re: Whole Foods...

Quote Originally Posted by gamecock View Post
    Albertson's was the closest thing we had and now, very unfortunately, that has been taken over by Homeland and turned into yet another discount, low-budget grocery store. I
    Homeland may look like a low-budget grocery store but it definitely isn't one. The prices are outrageously expensive. The cereal I buy at Wal-mart is $3.50, but the same kind at Homeland is $5.00

I think the poster means more along the lines of selection not necessarily prices. At least that is how I see them very poor on quality and selection.

Exactly, we're talking about product offerings, not sheer price alone.

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Downtown Guy View Post
    (SNIP)...Ben & Jerry's . . . my fav is Cherry Garcia FroYo . . . almost impossible to find in OKC....
    OMG - I've been looking everywhere for that! Problem is in getting it back from Tulsa to OKC - guess I'll just have to eat it there.

Yes, we need a Whole Foods here - CBD or Bricktown would be good.

Whole Foods will eventually come to OKC, but not Bricktown or just north of it. The demographics just simply arent there.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    what does this have to do with Bricktown?
    Here we go again...

7. Default Re: Whole Foods...

It saddens me a little each time the Whole Foods topic pops up. I wish everyone would spend as much time supporting and promoting the already-existing businesses in OKC providing the same or similar goods and services. Bravo to those that mentioned Crescent, Native Roots, etc. It seems that most OKC folks are eager to bring in the latest national chain to the detriment of the locals who are already struggling to keep their doors open.

C'mon everyone. We've got to start thinking/shopping/acting more locally. Forget the chains. They only detract from our urban fabric.

We would Chicken In The Rough if they carried the same seletions (type and quanity) as whole foods, I was in Native Roots 3--4 days ago, and their selection was very disapointing.

The Chains and the locals can coexist. If there was a Native Roots close to my house I would shop there. But I'm not going to make a special trip all the way to Norman just to go there. I've been in Akins and was NOT impressed and I haven't been in Crescent at all.

Lauri- take an ice chest and a couple of those blue ice packs with ya you will have no problem getting your ice cream home.

It really has nothing to do with supporting/promoting local businesses. Central Market (with only a handful of stores) is not a national chain, but it really wouldn't matter to me if it were. I am just looking for a place that offers the same experience that Central Market, Whole Foods, or Wegman's does. If "the locals" will open a store like this, I will support them. I don't feel compelled to support businesses that don't offer the product/service I want, just because they happen to be locally-owned. Homeland is a local company, and their product stinks. The stores look run down, and the prices aren't especially low either. Until someone comes up with a better alternative to SuperTarget (which is just "okay"), that is where we'll shop.

Quote Originally Posted by danielf1935 View Post
    We would Chicken In The Rough if they carried the same seletions (type and quanity) as whole foods, I was in Native Roots 3--4 days ago, and their selection was very disapointing.
    Well OK I'm sure 100 people on okctalk have said the same thing, but oh well I've yet to make a comment on the subject:

I think its tough to compare Native Roots/Forward Foods/Crescent/Akins (wow...with the exception of NR and FF, those are far apart! I do go to all these places though) to a high end grocery store. Whole Foods happens to be organic...but I think the void here is not the organic part (which you can scrounge around anywhere, even WalFart if you're lucky) but the high end part. I think its viable for all the above mentioned stores to thrive in addition to a "Whole Foods" type of store (like, I don't know the high enders down in Texas, but like Wegmans or something).

I would say, look at the people that go to Super Target...or some of the nicer Homelands even though they are more expensive...those are the people who would shop at a high end grocery. I think if people consider more of the value of food rather than just the price, a high end grocery store would fill this needed void.

And if Tulsa can support one, well heck we can too! Its very crowded in there every time we've been up there.

And the produce section at Walfart is NOTHING like Whole Foods! <gasps of blashempy>

Quote Originally Posted by gamecock View Post
    People will pay more to shop at a high-end grocery store (my wife, in particular). I love it here in Oklahoma, but it is shocking to me that we don't have any up-scale grocery stores whatsoever. Albertson's was the closest thing we had and now, very unfortunately, that has been taken over by Homeland and turned into yet another discount, low-budget grocery store. I have a difficult time believing that the entire OKC metro area cannot support a single Whole Foods, Central Market, Wegmans, etc. They can be found every few miles in other parts of the country. Heck, I'd even settle for a "regular" chain like Harris Teeter.
    Central Market is a specialty HEB store and they haven't expanded into Oklahoma yet, they are just started to fully build out the DFW area a few years ago. I know my dad wishes they could get at least regular HEB stores up there, he liked the one down here in Austin that we go to. They are only in Texas and another division in Mexico, they had some stores in Louisiana (near Houston) but sold those off to another chain.

I shopped at the Simon-David store when I lived in Dallas 16 years ago which was a specialty market division of Tom Thumb (Dallas based), it was just better than the standard Tom Thumb that was in my neighborhood. After Tom Thumb was bought by Randall's (Houston based) they maintained the Simon-David stores but after they sold out to Safeway, they got rid of them.

Forget Whole Foods, I want Trader Joe's.

Quote Originally Posted by krisb View Post
    Forget Whole Foods, I want Trader Joe's.
    I'd be happy with either one.

15. Default Re: Whole Foods...

I have no direct source information, but this is what I hear about the whole foods deal. Selling high point beer and wine is a prime part of their business (One reason why all the other local stores mentioned pale in comparison and are so far from what whole foods is that they shouldn't be in the same conversation), and will not open new stores any place that they cannot feature these products. Therefore, our blue laws stifle from having something good, again. Although, trader joes and central market would definitely be gladly accepted as a close second. And to those out there who want to play the local card, I understand and believe oklahoma needs local support. However, whole foods goes to great lengths to feature local artists, school projects, and producers as a way of promoting their particular city. A place with the influence as great as whole foods would do great things for those who had a chance to be featured. Hopefully the quality food producers out there will here our cries someday.

16. Default Re: Whole Foods...

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken In The Rough View Post
    It saddens me a little each time the Whole Foods topic pops up. I wish everyone would spend as much time supporting and promoting the already-existing businesses in OKC providing the same or similar goods and services. Bravo to those that mentioned Crescent, Native Roots, etc. It seems that most OKC folks are eager to bring in the latest national chain to the detriment of the locals who are already struggling to keep their doors open.

C'mon everyone. We've got to start thinking/shopping/acting more locally. Forget the chains. They only detract from our urban fabric.
    Bravo!

gamecock, try shopping at Forward Foods and Native Roots in Norman as well as Crescent Market in Nichols Hills. Akins also carries a decent selection. While none are a Whole Foods, you can get many similar items.
    Never heard of the two places in Norman but will check them out next time I'm there. Crescent Market is pretty good for a small place, but their prices (on some things) are outrageously high in my opinion. The same products in Whole Foods would sell for a lot less. Volume buying allows that, I know, but still, unless you are filthy rich, shopping at Crescent is not an option for many of us.

As far as Akins goes, well, they're OK, but their fruits and vegetable are pretty pathetic. Yeah, they offer organic stuff, but what good is it if it's sitting on the shelf wilted and half dead? Not totally their fault because if people don't buy it then it's just gonna sit there and decay. But they aren't half as bad as the Health Store off I-240. The fruit and vegetables in their refrigerated case is so bad sometimes I am tempted to report them to the health department. Disgusting!

If Whole Foods, or Trader Joe's, comes to OKC, they may hurt the local guys, but as far as I'm concerned, if the locals aren't going to offer a better product at a decent price, that's the price they'll have to pay.

I want to support the local guys as much as anyone else ( I shop OSU-OKC Farmer's Market, Prairie Thunder, Big Sky, Crescent (only source of Boar's Head deli meats as far as I know), Med Deli, and even make the trek from Will Roger's Park area down to NR and FF in Norman when on a mission. But. . .let's face it. . it's a TRIP to hit all these places every week. As some other posters have said. . . it's the variety and selection. . .including things the locals (small as in the list above. . or large as in Crest) don't have all in one place.

You can get Boars head at Falcone's and you used to at Gaetano's. There are a few other places that stock Boars Head and MidTown Deli will as well when it opens up.

You can get Boars head at Falcone's and you used to at Gaetano's. There are a few other places that stock Boars Head and MidTown Deli will as well when it opens up.
    I've been to Falcone's and they didn't have the variety/selection that Crescent does. I'm anxiously awaiting MidTown Deli. . .and hoping they will have a great selection of domestic and imported cheeses (maybe something approaching FF?? wishful thinking??)

I agree foodie, the selection isn't as good, but wanted to inform the other poster that there are other places in the metro that carry Boars Head. I checked the MidTown Deli thread and indeed they are going to carry them:

http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-are...li-update.html

bill kamp's also carries a selection of boar's head products. -M

Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post
    bill kamp's also carries a selection of boar's head products. -M
    True, but. . . I went in last summer and he (BK's) was over $1/lb HIGHER than Crescent on the Peppered Turkey. . .haven't checked lately tho. It's interesting that Buy 4 Less on NW Expwy is about the same per lb as Crescent, but it's not Boar's Head and not nearly as tasty. . .you'd think that with their cooking classes and "deli to go" choices, they would want to have the best. . .and I imagine they would have the volumne to stay competitive. Can't wait for Mid-Town Deli. . .I can hit it on my way to/from PT!!

With the direction this is taking, maybe it should move to the Food Court??

I agree foodie, the selection isn't as good, but wanted to inform the other poster that there are other places in the metro that carry Boars Head. I checked the MidTown Deli thread and indeed they are going to carry them:

http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-are...li-update.html
    Hopefully it will not just be on their sandwiches and they will have a "to go" case!!

25. Default Re: Whole Foods...

Don't forget about the soon-to-open Sage Gourmet Deli and Market in Deep Deuce!

Thread Information