Widgets Magazine

Thread: Steel Frame Structure at Reno & Sara Road Near Yukon???

Default Steel Frame Structure at Reno & Sara Road Near Yukon???

What's the deal with this monstrosity? Looks like a construction job was started and then forever abandoned. The steel shell is there year after year after year.

Anyone know the story?

Default Re: Steel Frame Structure at Reno & Sara Road Near Yukon???

It was supposed to be the new Corning plant. Corning cancelled the project back a few years ago. I think they sold the land and a couple of developers have tried to make use of it;However, they were never successful.

Jul. 25--It's official. The world's largest fiber optics manufacturer, Corning Inc., on Wednesday canceled plans to build a plant in Oklahoma City.

What remains is a multilevel, steel frame at Reno Avenue and Sara Road -- a looming reminder of the 800 jobs it would have provided to Oklahomans.

The announcement came a day after the Corning, N.Y.-based company reported a second-quarter net loss of $370 million, and the same day that a ratings service cut Corning's debt to "junk" status.

Yes, this was going to be the Owens Corning fiber optic plant, many years back. During the dot com boom. I think there is another thread on it, you might check the Yukon section of this website:

Yukon/Mustang/El-Reno - OKCTalk

i know for certain there are plans to turn it into office space. i not sure what the status is on it, as far as i know, it's full steam ahead.

Thread Information