Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do any of the housing projects concern you?

1. Default Re: Do any of the housing projects concern you?

Quote Originally Posted by adrian30 View Post
    the thing that bothers me is that all the housing is for the people who have lots of money. when they going to build housing thay normal people can offord. on the hill there building all kinds of stuff there .its on a public street but just watch thoses people will find a way to gate it off and then there be a gated private comunitty were us poor folks wont even be alowed to walk by and look at the houses.
    I agree, Adrian. What price points there are for entry-level buyers are still high when you price out what you are paying for. Downtown OKC can't justify high prices for a closet sized apartment (like Manhattan can) when there are so few amenities in the area to walk to. No large pharmacy, no large grocery store, the list is long. I know it's the chicken and egg thing and one can't be there without the other, but right now I think the asking prices are way too high on the new developments to bring a critical mass downtown.

Default Re: Do any of the housing projects concern you?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeOKC View Post
    Downtown OKC can't justify high prices for a closet sized apartment (like Manhattan can) when there are so few amenities in the area to walk to.
    you are right but the asking prices downtown are still 20-30 percent of prices in manhattan. its also not really fair to use comps in moore,yukon, north okc to compare to downtown. they will always be significantly cheaper just like in every city.

i would love to have more options for affordable housing downtown but i dont really see any project meeting peoples' expectations of 'affordable' as compared to suburan prices. sycamore square is affordable but everyone ridicules that place. you cant get a project like block 42 for $100 sq ft.

3. Default Re: Do any of the housing projects concern you?

Quote Originally Posted by kaiserbill5711 View Post
    When the boom went bust state and local governments were a huge drag on the economy that was left - Oklahoma has lost population ever since..
    Oklahoma began gaining in population ever since 1992. Heck, since 2000 we've gained in both immigrant population and migration population from other states.

Oklahoma didn't lose a seat because we lost population, Oklahoma lost a seat because we didn't grow as fast as some other states.
    Continue the Renaissance!!!

You have to look at building costs when considering what's a fair price too. For example, at Maywood Park they've got build-block construction with concrete walls, which is more expensive than wood framing. The townhouses have slate roofs, are completely brick and have copper guttering and a fair amount of cast stone and wrought iron railing. Inside there are primarily wood floors and all counterrops throughout the house are granite. All of that costs a lot more money than is spent on many of the standard houses out in the suburbs, and land out there isn't so expensive that it drives to price up enough to make them comparable.

In most of these cases though, don't downtown developers get the land either for free or at a highly subsidized price?

6. Default Re: Do any of the housing projects concern you?

Only the OCURA projects.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

OKC doesn't really have any "housing projects"

I suppose that would depend on how one define 'projects' No high rise type I'm aware of, but there are multiple assisted housing locations administered through a housing authority

True, but I wouldn't define the expensive new condos downtown as "projects."

Nor would I. However, projects is just another word for developments absent a separate contextual layer which isn't really present in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    I suppose that would depend on how one define 'projects' No high rise type I'm aware of, but there are multiple assisted housing locations administered through a housing authority
    There is a multiple high rise project just east of the Health Science Center. It seems to me one tower is ten stories and the other is not quite as tall. I have delivered food there to some of the residents.

In a prior life focus, I had several occasions to seek out folks from time to time who were staying in assisted housing spots around the metro. Never came across the facility you reference, and I was unaware of it. I've learned something new today, never a bad thing.

I only know of these projects because I delivered food there. I just assumed they were part of the HSC. I have lived in this town most of my 42 years and learn something new almost every day. But I have not been known to be the most observant of people.

Looked at the Seiber on the AIA tour. They were only renting apts, not selling condos but the prices seemed reasonable. Their 8-900' single BR renting at 1000 a month and a 1600' 2BR at about $ 1600 a month. They have to rent for five years to qualify for historic restoration tax credits.

They seemed to be appointed as well or better than the Deep Deuce units so is that a reasonable rent? Could a renter rent these for five years and get some type of credit toward buying the unit when it may go condo?

Once my youngest is grown and a move won't trash his school selection, a greater attraction to core living might exist which is currently absent. I don't see me developing such an interest I'd consider housing payments in that range.

kevinpate,

OKC has some great public schools. Classen SAS is the best public middle and high school in the state. Not sure how old your youngest is but OKC has some great elementary schools also.

He's almost 1/2 way through Norman North. With his gift and love of music, it would be a hard sell to persuade me there's some place so vastly superior it would make sense to uproot him from his present setting. He's blessed with a quality school, great life long friends and some of much shorter duration, a church based musical life in which he has become immersed. And, he's now old enough to get himself to most functions, and close enough it minimizes the worry factor to near nil.

Were I as pulled together at that age, I suspect my parents would have enjoyed far fewer grays and much more restful sleeps.

Now I totally understand. Sounds like he's only a couple of years out. I graduated Norman High. Classen's music program is probably as good as North's, but I know Norman
    Schools are amazing.

Sounds like you'll be an empty-nester soon enough! There may be good deals to be had downtown by that time.

Thread Information