Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 79 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121358 ... LastLast

Thread: The New I-40 (Construction Updates)

1. Default Re: The New I-40 (Construction Updates)

How do you all feel to be driving further away from the Devon tower?

Default Re: The New I-40 (Construction Updates)

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    How do you all feel to be driving further away from the Devon tower?
    I feel great knowing the highway isn't going to fall out from underneath me at any time... Plus, It'll be 850+ feet... It's not like you won't be able to see it.

3. Default Re: The New I-40 (Construction Updates)

Plus, you'll actually be able to look at it better and longer since you won't be whizzing by it at whatever speed with precious little, if any, time to gawk.

I thought the new highway was going to be built in a ditch where you can't see anything?

Sgt. Pepper, it is 6 to 8ft below grade (depending on info source) and it was originally planned to be completely below grade (20ft?) Have also read somewhere that there are retaining walls and berms. Unless you are right up against those on the side closest to Devon, most should be able to see the Devon tower. It might be the only part of downtown they see from there but they should still be able to see it. And should be able to see it & downtown as they approach from either direction, just once they head south on the relocated part, vision will be more limited.

Maybe some of you math/engineer types can estimate from how far out (given elevation from west, north, south, east) one will be able to see the new Devon building... would be interesting to speculate.

If anyone has taken the new Western Ave. or Exchange Ave. bridges across the new highway you'll see that we have gained cool new views of downtown. Penn, Exchange, Wester.... and I guess Walker and Robinson will all be nice views. I wonder if since the highway will only be 6 feet depressed through C2S that Walker and Robinson will need to be higher that originally proposed? That would be interesting... triple bridges at that that spot. Walker - Skydance - and Robinson.

I took a tour of the new I-40 and the most spectacular view of downtown comes from the new road eastbound (from the west interchange) as you exit over the new build to the future boulevard. I actually have a picture of it, but it doesn't do it justice, so you'll have to just wait and see.

So I didn't see any other threads with this information and since some of it has to do with the Crosstown project, I'll just throw it in here even though it's more of a statewide thing:

Oklahoma officials approve road work plan
    The state Transportation Department approved its eight-year roadwork plan. The plan calls for improvements to the Broadway Extension as well as nearly 650 bridge projects.

Read more: http://www.newsok.com/article/348423...#ixzz0wKU5Hh7g

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    So I didn't see any other threads with this information and since some of it has to do with the Crosstown project, I'll just throw it in here even though it's more of a statewide thing:

Oklahoma officials approve road work plan
    The state Transportation Department approved its eight-year roadwork plan. The plan calls for improvements to the Broadway Extension as well as nearly 650 bridge projects.

Read more: http://www.newsok.com/article/348423...#ixzz0wKU5Hh7g

Did not see a reference to the BLVD. in the article. Anyone know if it is included, or is it still not included, in the 8 year plan?

I do not believe it is. Someone posted a comment with your very question and I replied to him on there.

I was hopeful it might of been added, but won't feign surprise if it is still an unlisted project. As much hoopla as OKC's mayor has made on how important it is to time with the C2S park, it probably stings a bit for it to still not be listed. Oh well, fortunately, even fast food tacos can ease some pains some of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Did not see a reference to the BLVD. in the article. Anyone know if it is included, or is it still not included, in the 8 year plan?
    I didn't see any mention of it either but here is an update on the completion date of the new I-40 (think from the same article)

...The project is expected to cost more than $650 million and be open to traffic in late 2012. ...

It looks like were about to see more work on the eastern end of the project. They will soon begin construction on the new Lincoln/Byers bridge that goes over I-40 and a new intersection near the southbound I-35 on-ramp from Reno. Also, they will continue paving the new I-40 eastward into the I-235/I-40/I-35 interchange which will involve lane detours and temporary pavement I imagine.

http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/newsm...own_paving.pdf

There are also two more paving contracts that will be awarded next month.

Oklahoma City's Interstate 40 Crosstown project set for 2012 completion
    New interstate expected to be complete by 2012
    Published: August 22, 2010
    A project to improve Interstate 40 south of downtown Oklahoma City is on track to be completed in 2012.

Portions of the $650 million project to build a new route for the interstate have already been completed. Bridge structures can be seen along the 4.5-mile route between May Avenue and the I-40 junction with Interstate 235.

Bridge structures will link up with the new roadway when it's complete, said Brenda Perry, spokeswoman for the state Transportation Department.

While some work will remain along the new route, motorists should be able to drive on the new I-40 by 2012, Perry said.

Moving and replacing the existing lanes of eastbound and westbound I-40 have been discussed since the early 1990s. The elevated roadway was built in the 1960s and was designed to hold about 76,000 vehicles per day, Perry said. Officials estimate about 120,000 vehicles a day now travel on the road.

The project also will include a new six-lane boulevard from Pennsylvania Avenue to Lincoln Boulevard. Officials are waiting for funding for the boulevard, which will be constructed after traffic moves to the new I-40 route, Perry said. It is expected to cost about $80 million and be completed within two years. A combination of state and federal funding has paid for the project, which has been under construction since November 2005.

Read more: http://newsok.com/oklahoma-citys-int...#ixzz0xL7dHsOP

From the ULI final report, they mentioned reducing the width of the Boulevard to no more than 110 feet. Russel Clause (sp) with the OKC planning dept mentioned that ODOT requires 6 lanes and that ULI recommended 2 of those be used for parking to make it more pedestrian friendly.

Why would ODOT require 6 lanes?

because it will be mainly the main exit that leads into the downtown area

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    Why would ODOT require 6 lanes?
    Good question and the report may have more details (if anyone has a link where we can download it, please post) and Mr. Clausse (sp) didn't elaborate...he just kind of threw it our there....(this was during the last Council meeting)

full story here:
    http://newsok.com/downtown-boulevard...adlines_widget

Downtown boulevard included in Oklahoma's transportation plan (Oklahoman, 8/30/10)

Officials recently announced the boulevard, expected to cost about $80 million, has been funded. Mayor Mick Cornett said it gives the city reason to be optimistic that the boulevard can be finished as planned in 2014.

$80 million for less than a mile of road. That is insane!

Well I will hold my breath and wait to see more accurate renderings of what they have in mind when they use the words "Pedestrian Friendly" and hope it is not 100% automobile centric as it needs to be more about the amenities for the pedestrian so that it will create a draw for the needed supporting retail, hotel, residential and all other types of things that would hopefully come along with the new blvd. 80 mil seems a lot for the length, but having to remove or work around concrete piers that no doubt go far into the earth has to be expensive. Like I said initially I don't hold out a great deal of hope for this, but my sense of optimism has me holding off judgement until something more formal comes out to show us what they have in mind. I really hope they will take the reccomendations of the ULI and reduce the width!

Has anyone seen the "pedestrian friendly" intersection at memorial and Penn?

There's nice park benches along with sidewalks and wrought iron railing that runs under the overpass. I can't tell you how many people I see using this "pedestrian friendly" area.

Blog Entries

Memorial and Penn has no bearing on the boulevard. First, none of the shopping areas promote walking from one to the other. They have parking about 10 ft from the front door. Oklahoman's will drive 200 ft from one business to another rather than walk. The reason you don't see people using the walkways at Mem and Penn has nothing to do with the design. And, I imagine the people at BoA would frown on people parking there and walking over to Texas Roadhouse for the evening.

Quote Originally Posted by okclee View Post
    Has anyone seen the "pedestrian friendly" intersection at memorial and Penn?

There's nice park benches along with sidewalks and wrought iron railing that runs under the overpass. I can't tell you how many people I see using this "pedestrian friendly" area.
    Well if you seriously are comparing Memorial and Penn with the Blvd....that is oh yeah Right downtown. Then I don't have much more to say to you. Kinda apples and oranges to say the least, plus I like the sidewalks that cover probably 60 linear feet at the intersection corners and then dissapear, that will get 'em walking all day...plus there they will need the park benches so that those who do brave the hike through the fields will have a place to recover...So most will not be surprised that just throwing some park benches at a decidedly non urban area does not generate magical pedestrian traffic.

Thread Information