Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 79 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111257 ... LastLast

Thread: The New I-40 (Construction Updates)

1. Default Re: The New I-40 (Construction Updates)

4 highways actually. You've got Shields/EK Gaylord, Reno, I-40, and this new boulevard. I really like the idea OK4me toyed with. Why are we building a brand new entrance boulevard into Downtown OKC when Reno already does that? Fix Reno, make it grand and it can serve as a perfect boulevard. It goes through Bricktown, passes the Myriad Gardens, is the face of both the Cox and the Ford, and extends into the future potential of west downtown. Seems to me it's a bit redundant to build another massive street just south of Reno.

2. Default Re: The New I-40 (Construction Updates)

I agree. Just use Reno the the main E-W thoroughfare.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

Default Re: The New I-40 (Construction Updates)

I like my idea of before. Have Classen "curve" into the new boulevard (can be Reno) at Reno. No need for the boulevard to start west by Mathis Brothers. Classen should be perfectly fine and already is a boulevard and could be further enhanced.

4. Default Re: The New I-40 (Construction Updates)

Agree with that as well. The Boulevard doesn't need to go all the way to Agnew or wherever they have it going.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

I e-mailed John Bowman who is one of the Project development engineers and asked about what has happened with the photo documentation. Here is his reply:

Thank you for your kind words on the project. I have personally been involved developing the Crosstown since May, 2000 and it is encouraging to receive those kind of comments. You are correct that there has been a lag in the posting of additional new photographs. We have continued to take the photographs, but have experienced a delay in posting those items. The size of the consultant team and ODOT staff working directly on this effort have been scaled back in order to be more financially responsible. However, we are striving to make adjustments and provide the information and photodocumentation as before. Please feel free to contact me with any additional questions or comments regarding the Crosstown.

Thanks,
    John B.

John R. Bowman, P.E.
    Assistant Planning and Research Division Engineer
    I-40 Crosstown Project Development Engineer
    Planning and Research Division
    Oklahoma Department of Transportation
    200 NE 21st Street, Rm 3A7
    Oklahoma City, OK 73105

Ph. (405) 521-2175/(405) 522-6611
    jbowman@odot.org
    Oklahoma Dept. of Transportation

I went and looked at the road construction behind Union Station today and saw something different. It looked like a bunch of the excavation that had been done has been filled in with either none of the road below grade or that stretch very slightly below grade. Does anyone know anything about this?

7. Default Re: The New I-40 (Construction Updates)

I've been looking at the ODOT website ( Oklahoma Dept. of Transportation ) for any pics there ... couldn't find any later than 2000 ... are progress pics there somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    I went and looked at the road construction behind Union Station today and saw something different. It looked like a bunch of the excavation that had been done has been filled in with either none of the road below grade or that stretch very slightly below grade. Does anyone know anything about this?
    I thought it was supposed to fairly deep there as well. Didn't the park drawings show a big arse foot bridge across the below grade interstate connecting the Union Station part of the park to the more southern sections of the park?

It was initially supposed to be 20 feet below grade, and then I believe they discovered the water table was too high to drop in 20 feet and so they decided to put the road six feet below grade. They'd done a bunch of excavation and now it seems like it's filled in. I suppose it is possible that they've put sand there and by the time it's packed down it will be six feet below grade, but it certainly looks different from my last visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Loudenback View Post
    I've been looking at the ODOT website ( Oklahoma Dept. of Transportation ) for any pics there ... couldn't find any later than 2000 ... are progress pics there somewhere?
    Check out 40 Forward: Oklahoma's I-40 Crosstown Expressway. The most recent pictures there seem to be from March of this year.

Quote Originally Posted by OKC@heart View Post
    I e-mailed John Bowman who is one of the Project development engineers and asked about what has happened with the photo documentation. Here is his reply:

Thank you for your kind words on the project. I have personally been involved developing the Crosstown since May, 2000 and it is encouraging to receive those kind of comments. You are correct that there has been a lag in the posting of additional new photographs. We have continued to take the photographs, but have experienced a delay in posting those items. The size of the consultant team and ODOT staff working directly on this effort have been scaled back in order to be more financially responsible. However, we are striving to make adjustments and provide the information and photodocumentation as before. Please feel free to contact me with any additional questions or comments regarding the Crosstown.

Thanks,
    John B.

John R. Bowman, P.E.
    Assistant Planning and Research Division Engineer
    I-40 Crosstown Project Development Engineer
    Planning and Research Division
    Oklahoma Department of Transportation
    200 NE 21st Street, Rm 3A7
    Oklahoma City, OK 73105

Ph. (405) 521-2175/(405) 522-6611
    jbowman@odot.org
    Oklahoma Dept. of Transportation
    I stated this a while back. I don't care that I have to repost it, but he told me too, that the lady that uploaded the pics got a new job in Hawaii and took that. I haven't told him, but, heck, I'd upload the pics for free if they'd just give em to me!

They've uploaded a few hundred new pics on 40forward

Shields

Agnew Flyover

North side of Penn Bridge

http://www.40forward.com/gallery/def...der=descending

Looking at pic #90, It looks to me as if they're going to connect the west end and eventually when the whole thing is built, put all west and east traffic on the eastbound bridge over Agnew and build the westbound bridge in as it would run into the current alignment with I-40. There's no way in hell that one bridge is for all lanes of traffic!

Cool Re: The New I-40 (Construction Updates)

Thanks to everyone for the great PICS!!!! I have always lovED driving down the old underground ROBINSON TUNNEL and WALKER TUNNEL........????DOES ANYone know if they are keeping them with this new project??? Will they still be underground .....or are they building an overpass from north to southside for Robinson and Walker?

Sorry but they both have been demolished to make way for the new alignment

16. Default Re: The New I-40 (Construction Updates)

hence, why there was all the fuss about the rail yard - afterall. ...
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
    Thanks to everyone for the great PICS!!!! I have always lovED driving down the old underground ROBINSON TUNNEL and WALKER TUNNEL........????DOES ANYone know if they are keeping them with this new project??? Will they still be underground .....or are they building an overpass from north to southside for Robinson and Walker?
    Both streets will have bridges that go over I-40.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    http://www.40forward.com/gallery/def...der=descending

Looking at pic #90, It looks to me as if they're going to connect the west end and eventually when the whole thing is built, put all west and east traffic on the eastbound bridge over Agnew and build the westbound bridge in as it would run into the current alignment with I-40. There's no way in hell that one bridge is for all lanes of traffic!
    Your right, they still have another bridge to build, but they should have enough room to build it though. It will involved closing the eastbound on and off ramps and maybe Agnew itself which is probably why they have not started it yet.

http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/newsm...dor-Aerial.pdf

The concrete retaining wall for the old I-40 bridge may be in the way, but they will deal with this issue with some vertical sheet piling.

Quote Originally Posted by Architect2010 View Post
    4 highways actually. You've got Shields/EK Gaylord, Reno, I-40, and this new boulevard. I really like the idea OK4me toyed with. Why are we building a brand new entrance boulevard into Downtown OKC when Reno already does that? Fix Reno, make it grand and it can serve as a perfect boulevard. It goes through Bricktown, passes the Myriad Gardens, is the face of both the Cox and the Ford, and extends into the future potential of west downtown. Seems to me it's a bit redundant to build another massive street just south of Reno.
    I totally agree with your statement. It's right before our eyes, we just need to see it. My waste money we don't have.

If the new I-40 is going to be 6 feet below grade instead of 20 feet, will the pedestrian bridge still be built? If so, I assume it will have to be re-designed. Anybody know anything about this?

Quote Originally Posted by TaurusNYC View Post
    If the new I-40 is going to be 6 feet below grade instead of 20 feet, will the pedestrian bridge still be built? If so, I assume it will have to be re-designed. Anybody know anything about this?
    The pedestrian bridge will be built. ODOT has allocated funds for it in its 8 year plan. It's plans are being finalized right now. If I remember correctly 90% plans have already been submitted. (If not they're close to being submitted)

http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/projm...p2010-2017.pdf
    (go to page 22 of 92)
    Last edited by jonno; 08-08-2010 at 04:41 PM. Reason: add link to 8 year work plan

6 feet below grade only??? Is this really true??? I mean the Walker and Robinson underpasses were a lot deeper than that and didn't seem bothered by the water table.

Oh yes the underpasses were affected by the water table. I have walked through both of them and both were in bad shape. The concrete in those was cracked and easily chiped off. Only the relatively fewer amount of vehicles that went those kept them from getting worse.

Imagine 100,000 cars daily going through those underpasses on Robinson and Walker!!! Both would be in far worse shape than I-40 is now. Better to just avoid the problem in the first place.

Just think of the nightmare it would be to get I-40 repaired if it were 20 feet below grade. It took a very long time to get a replacement for I-40. I do not see any major work being done on the new highway for a very, very, very long time (20 years at least).

I also am disappointed to see that the area south of the current I-40, east of Shields and north of the river will contain a ramp for access to the relocated I-40. It looks to be one of those circular ramps that take up much real estate.

I was thinking, incorrectly apparently, that particular area wasn't going to be have any type of ramp in it. I was thinking that it would be available for expansion of Bricktown once the current I-40 is demolished.
    Last edited by OKCNDN; 08-09-2010 at 12:17 PM. Reason: addition

Thread Information