Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where did you cruise in your automobile?

Default Where did you cruise in your automobile?

I used to go cruising all over, but there was 12th street in Moore, from that Sonic to the park on the eastside and round and round we go. They eventually shut that park off and that ended that cruising scene.

Air Depot Blvd. That place was cool in its day. Crazy good. So many people cruising it was like traffic jam city on Saturday Night. The traffic jam was so bad late at night that you could talk to the gals as they were stuck next to you fore and aft and sideways and they would jump in your car to hay hello as everybody was clogged in that cruising scene. It was one major party.

Norman cruising was back and forth from campus corner around Stubbeman Village to classic 50's. When you got tired of cruising you parked in the parking lot across from Classic 50's. But there really wasn't that big of a deal ever in Norman. People went up to 12th street in Moore and Air Depot. Biggest thing in Norman was all the people parking across from Classic 50's and just hanging out together.

Where were the biggest cruising places in your day. Until the cops took control and ran everybody off?

Default Re: Where did you cruise in your automobile?

Many went from the Spot to Hollies and back. But I don't remember any other route. S.W.29th was no good in my day because the police had pretty well shut down the cruising.

Now if you want to see a drag today, checkout SW29th from Penn. to May. The Hispanics have about every place to park taken and park facing 29th as other cruise by.

PapaOU,
    Where is the Spot and where is the Hollies. I am not familiar with either one of those locales.

Quote Originally Posted by papaOU View Post
    Many went from the Spot to Hollies and back. But I don't remember any other route. S.W.29th was no good in my day because the police had pretty well shut down the cruising.

Now if you want to see a drag today, checkout SW29th from Penn. to May. The Hispanics have about every place to park taken and park facing 29th as other cruise by.
    Spot to Holliess, then on to the North Side ........Quicks on Classen

Quote Originally Posted by normanite View Post
    Where were the biggest cruising places in your day. Until the cops took control and ran everybody off?
    In my lil' corner of paradise, it was:
    Pizza Hut to DIAL downtown, ... repeat (for the masses)
    All over BFO and back again for the rest.

39th street between Portland and Mac.

Saturday nites! Me and my old 76 Buick estate wagon (with the hopped up 455ci beast) used to make a bunch of money draggin out there. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSkater View Post

Saturday nites! Me and my old 76 Buick estate wagon (with the hopped up 455ci beast) used to make a bunch of money draggin out there. LOL
    ================================================== =========
    Got you all beat....1963 Impala 300 Horse 327. From my house to work to make the payments and the insurance....I had $25.00 deductible then...Made $1.15 per hour and had money to burn....
    In highschool I had a 55 Chevy and then the beast...... a 1958 White Thunderbird 351 motor, bucket seats. Air Conditioning (didn't work...just looked cool) and red/White pleated interior...Ah the memories of that car....(Back to the topic) we would go from the Pizza planet on s. Penn to Hollies and then to Bixler's and back. If we had a date we would try to end up at Cattlemen's or Beverley's downtown....
    ================================================== ============

Prunepicker Guest

S.W. 59th
    S. Pennsylvania
    S. Western
    N.W. 39th Expressway
    N. Classen Blvd. between Holly's & Quick' Drive Ins
    S. Peoria (Tulsa)

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    Got you all beat....1963 Impala 300 Horse 327. From my house to work to make the payments and the insurance....I had $25.00 deductible then...Made $1.15 per hour and had money to burn....
    In highschool I had a 55 Chevy and then the beast...... a 1958 White Thunderbird 351 motor, bucket seats. Air Conditioning (didn't work...just looked cool) and red/White pleated interior...Ah the memories of that car....(Back to the topic) we would go from the Pizza planet on s. Penn to Hollies and then to Bixler's and back. If we had a date we would try to end up at Cattlemen's or Beverley's downtown....
    So you seldom ate at Beverly's or Cattleman's.......................

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by normanite View Post
    Where is the Spot and where is the Hollies. I am not familiar with either one
    of those locales.
    Thurmond Black's "The Spot" was on S. Western near S.W. 29th. Hollie's was
    on N. Classen where the McDonald's is now.
    Both were great joints.

Quote Originally Posted by papaOU View Post
    So you seldom ate at Beverly's or Cattleman's.......................
    ================================================== ===========
    Yeah, but, I still have my same date....what a"Chick".....45 years on the 13th of this month. Hoping for 45 more....Took her out to Charcoal Oven last night....back in under the old Awning and just sat there and ate our $9.00 plus burger in the Quiet of our own car.....Used to be a Chevy Impala that would run...Now it's Lexus SUV that just goes where we need it to....Oh yeah Penny...do you remember any of those spots???? PM me so my Wife and I can check them out.....Notice PapaOU:..........45 years.....

12. Default Re: Where did you cruise in your automobile?

Lake Hefner Road - the old road along the dam, not the big freakin' highway that people use today. As a kid that was pretty cool - and scary too.
    And hey General - I do believe this counts as a northside memory

The Spot was on the s.w. corner of s.w.26th and western.

The Spot to Coits , SW 24 and Western, then down to Hollies. Over to Bixlers off 23 & penn, hit everything again back to the spot,. We cruised for chicks. Love those Pizza cheeseburgers at the spot. You still can get them at Del Rancho on SW 59 and Santa Fe. My high school girlfriend would order a Cherry Vanilla Cream Dr Peper. Have you had one of those. Ha

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSkater View Post

Yup - that's the one.

... I still have my same date....what a"Chick".....45 years on the 13th of this month. ...

CONGRATS !!!

Forty-five years deserves its own special shout-out.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    CONGRATS !!!

Forty-five years deserves its own special shout-out.

================================================== =============
    Thank You Very Much.....It's been a fun trip....

young folks these days dont cruise at all. they simply congregate/loiter real late on any given weekend night at the local parking lot of: (take your pick: 7-11, taco bell, mcdonalds, an apartment complex, liquor store, sonic drive-in, walmart, etc)

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by decepticobra View Post
    young folks these days dont cruise at all. they simply congregate/loiter real
    late on any given weekend night at the local parking lot of: (take your pick:
    7-11, taco bell, mcdonalds, an apartment complex, liquor store, sonic
    drive-in, walmart, etc)
    What are they doing on N.W. 39th Expressway every Friday night?

Back in the day, I drove a White 1965 SS Malibu with Cragar SS mags. The 283 under the hood was pretty peppy after being bored and stroked, added an Engel 3/4 race cam, Carter AFB, Mickey Thompson hi-rise manifold and valve covers (just to look nice). B&M hi stall speed torque converter and shift improver kit made it a real threat from a "rolling start". I had more fun driving from Quick's to Hollie's to The Spot and back (sometimes a side trip to Al's Hideaway or Del Rancho and Sonic in Del City). Loved the pizza cheeseburger at the Spot too and the bacon cheeseburger at Hollie's. Remember any of the cops who worked security or hang out at the drive-ins? Charlie Nutt at Hollies was one.

Officer Chick at McD's on S.W. 59th & Penn..

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RealJimbo View Post
    Remember any of the cops who worked security or hang out at the drive-ins?
    Charlie Nutt at Hollies was one.
    Officer Rains at Quick's. I think his first name was really Officer.

Got you all beat....1963 Impala 300 Horse 327.
    In my own personal mythology it's a toss-up as to which was the sweetest Impala. '63 or '61 with the bubble window. '63 Impala SS had the best looking bucket seats ever.

Rick

Quick's on NW 32 & Classen, out to Classen Traffic Circle to Charcoal Oven between Penn & May on NW Highway (best apple pies...mmmm), then out to 39th Expressway to Bonaparte's and start over at Quick's.

Rick

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by skyrick View Post
    In my own personal mythology it's a toss-up as to which was the sweetest
    Impala. '63 or '61 with the bubble window. '63 Impala SS had the best looking
    bucket seats ever.

Rick
    I made out with a cute Monterey House waitress in her '64 Chevy. A real
    beauty... and the waitress wasn't bad, either.

Thread Information