Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Urban Neighborhoods

1. Default Urban Neighborhoods

I think the OKC Metro Area forum is now too broad and you need to add "Inside The Bubble" (Roughly South side of the OK River to NW 63rd and May to Lincoln Terrace)

There's no Music Scene or Local Entertainment forum either, but some of that gets covered in other forums.

Michael Smith

Pray For World Peace . . . pass it on
    The Old Downtown Guy

It will take decades for Oklahoma City's
    downtown core to regain its lost gritty,
    dynamic urban character, but it's exciting
    to observe and participate in the transformation.

Default Re: Urban Neighborhoods

Seconded.

3. Default Re: Urban Neighborhoods

And people seem to be getting very lazy about where they put certain posts.

Christmas Memories
    High School Dances of the 50's
    What is Your New Year's Resolution?
    Who's Going to SchmoeFest 09?

Stuff like that has nothing to do with OKC and should be placed in other forums, like OKC Underground. There are also threads that could be put in the Thunder, Bricktown, or city forums as opposed to Metro Area Talk.

4. Default Re: Urban Neighborhoods

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    And people seem to be getting very lazy about where they put certain posts.

Christmas Memories
    High School Dances of the 50's
    What is Your New Year's Resolution?
    Who's Going to SchmoeFest 09?

Stuff like that has nothing to do with OKC and should be placed in other forums, like OKC Underground. There are also threads that could be put in the Thunder, Bricktown, or city forums as opposed to Metro Area Talk.
    And so you think a more focused forum for the inner-city is better or you think the current okcmetro approach is still OK?
    The Old Downtown Guy

I think we need our own little hardcore innercity forum using boundaries similar to what you laid out. 99% of the people who come to OKCtalk could care less about this area that is the only reason myself and a few others come for.

These boring-ass posts about new roads in J-park or some dilapidated building getting new windows in midtown that no one cares about get buried really quickly on the OKC forum, never to be discovered by others who might have some input even just a short day or two later.

6. Default Re: Urban Neighborhoods

I like the idea of a more focused inner-city forum, but also think that OKC Metro Area talk itself has become to un-focused.

7. Default Re: Urban Neighborhoods

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    I like the idea of a more focused inner-city forum, but also think that OKC Metro Area talk itself has become to un-focused.
    I agree J . . . Metro Area is now all over the board.
    The Old Downtown Guy

I agree with the other posters but will take my comments a step further (surprise!). I think the OKCTalk forums/sections need an overhaul. Maybe an InnerCity thread as mentioned above or maybe a Downtown/Bricktown (bricktown doesn't need its own does it?), or Maybe OKC Metro Area could have a bunch of subsections like Historical Neighborhoods, Downtown/Bricktown, Core To Shore, Suburb Talk, etc. I agree with jbrown and most posters are getting really lazy in their posting just posting anything and everything in OKC Metro Area and it's getting really annoying. I know I come off annoying to posters, but it is because I'm hardcore passionate about the city, especially the innercity/downtown. I can't find good threads of real happenings in the city because of everyone posting off topic threads (when there are 17 others already on the exact same thing) such as favorite restaurants in the past or what chain restaurant/company do we need? simple searches would avoid a LOT of duplicate posting, but I think the site and OKC could benefit with new sections. I really liked the idea above about an entertainment section and a music section. Some sections could probably go like Guthrie could be moved to talk across the state. I think the Sex or dating or whatever thread hasn't been commented on in 6 months or more, so that could probably go. I dunno just my two cents......

I think these are great ideas.

What are your thoughts on having rooms on minority issues and topics e.g. American Indian, African American, Asian, Hispanic, Gay, etc... Thanks for your input.

11. Default Re: Urban Neighborhoods

Quote Originally Posted by rondvu View Post
    What are your thoughts on having rooms on minority issues and topics e.g. American Indian, African American, Asian, Hispanic, Gay, etc... Thanks for your input.
    I agree with you rondvu and also with what Metro posted; time for a comprehensive look by OKCTalk at the range, purposes and effectiveness of the forums. It's a new year . . . time for a new look.

Comments here from Pete or some of the Mods would be a nice thing.
    The Old Downtown Guy

Hey, Old Downtown Guy. Here's a post someone needs to start:

"Why does Rand Elliott call himself "Rand"?

Too good to be a Randy? Not sure, just like to know.

13. Default Re: Urban Neighborhoods

Why do people call you Stan and not Stanley?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Why do people call you Stan and not Stanley?
    I used to go by Stanley until the actor, Dennis Haysbert, you know the actor from the TV show, The Unit, told me he was going to start All-State auto insurance commercials and was going to close the commercial by appealing directly to me. But then he said "Stanley is too long. Let me just say 'That's All-State Stan'." I agreed and changed my name.

Now, what's Rand Elliott's excuse?

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Silliman View Post
    I used to go by Stanley until the actor, Dennis Haysbert, you know the actor from the TV show, The Unit, told me he was going to start All-State auto insurance commercials and was going to close the commercial by appealing directly to me. But then he said "Stanley is too long. Let me just say 'That's All-State Stan'." I agreed and changed my name.

Why is it important? I have a three-syllable first name the diminutive of which has a common "ie" or "y" variant, which I don't like simply because it is not "me." Instead, close friends and family call me by another non-"y" diminutive, which is perfectly fine. I'm sure Rand has his reasons. Doesn't seem like it's our business what those are. (Sorry, mods, you can get back to thread topic now.)

16. Default Re: Urban Neighborhoods

My name is Steven, but it morphed into Steve. Beats me Stan, things like that happen. Didn't know an excuse was needed. I talk to Rand and let him know he'll need to think one up.

Quote Originally Posted by wsucougz View Post
    I think we need our own little hardcore innercity forum using boundaries similar to what you laid out.
    I wonder where that idea is from. Just kidding.

Actually the All State commercials say, "That's Allstate's stand."

our-stand-ads

19. Default Re: Urban Neighborhoods

[QUOTE=metro;196261]Actually the All State commercials say, "That's Allstate's stand."

I'm just guessing here Metro . . . but I think it's one of those "play-on-words" things . . . not a real knee slapper for sure, but Stan(ley) . . . this is the way I will be writing his name henceforth . . . has always been a considerate guy and doesn't want any of us to hurt our selves rolling on the floor, keeling over or, in general, experiencing the same kind of reactions that I always have when I see Stan do his, always on target, hard hitting, totally killer, stand-up routine.

Michael

The Old Downtown Guy

Quote Originally Posted by FritterGirl View Post
    Why is it important? I have a three-syllable first name the diminutive of which has a common "ie" or "y" variant, which I don't like simply because it is not "me." Instead, close friends and family call me by another non-"y" diminutive, which is perfectly fine. I'm sure Rand has his reasons. Doesn't seem like it's our business what those are. (Sorry, mods, you can get back to thread topic now.)
    I know some people who knew him when he was still "Randy", they still call him that. According to them he changed it to what he felt was a more professional and unique name than using Randy or Randall. He just shortened it to something different than the conventional.

Like FG stated, why is it important, it's his name.

I'd like to hear from Pete and the mods about this topic at hand about revamping/organizing the site.

22. Default Re: Urban Neighborhoods

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    I'd like to hear from Pete and the mods about this topic at hand about revamping/organizing the site.
    Thanks Metro. I would too. In addition, I would like to see a little more effort by the mods to encourage posters (including you and I) to stay with the thread topic. There are lots of places for people to discuss nearly anything they want without hijacking a thread to go on and on about an unrelated topic.

Michael

The Old Downtown Guy

If the thread didn't want to be hi-jaked why did it make itself so darn enticing? Hmmmm?

By the way, my brother Robbie calls himself "Robert" similar to Randy Elliott maturing his and uniquing his name up to Rand.

My birth certificate has Ronald, as a child I was called Ronnie. Sometime in my junior/senior high school year everyone started calling me Ron. Now at almost 50 everyone calls me Ron. To me Rand Elliot has better flow then Randy Elliot. If he is like me he does not care for his birth given name. Back to my ealier post, the reason I posted in here was in other threads Old fashioned soda fountian and OKC parks I have seen a rise in remarks about e.g. illegals, gays, light in the loafers etc... just to name a few. The face of Oklahoma City is changing and perhaps OKC talk needs to follow suit.

Thread Information