Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pedestrian Friendly Neighborhoods

Default Pedestrian Friendly Neighborhoods

Hello All,

I'm interested in relocating to OKC, at least part time. I'm looking for some information on the most pedestrian friendly areas.

Currently I live in the capital hill neighborhood of Denver. I have within 6 blocks of me: fillmore and ogden theatre concert venues, landmark independent movie theatre, whole foods grocery store, an aveda salon, multiple liquor/wine stores, over a dozen bar / restaurants, and many other commercial amenities.

I would love to live somewhere that I could find within a 10 block radius:
    -a grocery store / market
    -restaurants / bars
    -entertainment

It would be great to have other options like art galleries, libraries, movie theatres, concert venues...

Any ideas?

Default Re: Pedestrian Friendly Neighborhoods

Hey Everyone,

Greg emailed me and I posted my reply to his question here:

imagiNATIVEamerica Living a Walkable Lifestyle in OKC

Would be interested to get your thoughts.

Thanks!

Do you own a bike? : )

Just kidding. bdhumphrey's link seems pretty accurate to me. I don't think you're really going to find a completely walkable neighborhood, but those at the top of that list do offer some realistic chances to retain some of your walking lifestyle.

I would actually recommend the Crown Heights / Western Ave. district for you. From 36th to 50th along western you have you have a dozen or so restaurant and/or bars, a couple of convenience markets, a laundromat, a handful of boutiques, flowershops, antiquey shops, a liquor store, a coffee shop, and even an Aveda salon. VZDs is no Fillmore or Ogden, but it does feature some live music with a mix of local bands and touring bands on their way up or out. The Will Rogers Theater is used more as a reception and special events space, but bands have been known to play there. And a block off Western on 50th is Classen Circle, which has the Speakeasy and the Hi-Lo which have live music, as well as the bar Sidecar and the Classen Grill, considered by many to be the best place for breakfast in the city. The only downside is no full service grocery store. A proposed development has hopes to fill that void, but has met some resistance from the neighborhood that will hopefully be resolved.

The housing options are all over the map, as Crown Heights has historic houses and apartments ranging from single bedroom quads and duplexes to high dollar (for OKC) large homes. The neighborhoods both immediately west of Western and north of Crown Heights have mostly smaller houses for sale and rent that are all over the map in terms of quality and affordability.

You can find more about what's in the area on the district's merchant directory. The Western district officially includes the areas above I-44, so the list does include many merchants and services that aren't really walkable from the Crown Heights / Douglas Park / Whatever The West Side of Western is Called neighborhoods:

http://www.visitwesternavenue.com/me..._directory.php

Quote Originally Posted by gmcerveny View Post
    Hello All,

I'm interested in relocating to OKC, at least part time. I'm looking for some information on the most pedestrian friendly areas.

Currently I live in the capital hill neighborhood of Denver. I have within 6 blocks of me: fillmore and ogden theatre concert venues, landmark independent movie theatre, whole foods grocery store, an aveda salon, multiple liquor/wine stores, over a dozen bar / restaurants, and many other commercial amenities.

-restaurants / bars
    -entertainment

It would be great to have other options like art galleries, libraries, movie theatres, concert venues...

Any ideas?
    Man, coming from the Capital Hill area of Denver to here is going to be an interesting transition. There is not a single neighborhood in OKC that will be able to come close to Capital Hill regarding the amenities you listed above in an environment you are probably used to.

I suggest you make a trip out here before you even consider OKC. I just don't think what you are accustomed to exists here (yet).

And for all potential naysayers who follow my post please make note of the area he/she will be moving from. This part of Denver has census blocks approaching 36,000 ppsm.

MadMonk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ptownsnwbrdr View Post
    And for all potential naysayers who follow my post please make note of the area he/she will be moving from. This part of Denver has census blocks approaching 36,000 ppsm.
    Well, on the bright side, he'll have more elbow room to stretch out in.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcerveny View Post
    Hello All,

-restaurants / bars
    -entertainment

Any ideas?
    Man, sorry to disappoint, but you're not gonna find the equivalent here in OKC, at least not within the next few years. I'm jealous of where you are coming from. My best advice would be to look on western avenue, 50th or so. Or you may try downtown. I live within walking distance of the library, museum of art, the museum theatre which shows many independent films, a coffee shop (within the library). Plus, my apt is gonna have a laundro mat on the ground level, along with a "convenient store". Still, it's probably not nearly as cool as where you are coming from.

Downtown...

Unfortunately OKC is rather deficient when it comes to sidewalks outside of the very near downtown areas that are reflected in the link above.

To give you a bit of history on the subject, the OKC Public Works dictator (and his predecessor) for many years was VERY against sidewalks. I never understood why he was against them but on one highway project in OKC my father was told directly that his project would not be approved as long as the sidewalks were on the plans even though since it was a federally funded highway project sidewalks were required. We had some issues with him on some things for a Bricktown remodel but since sidewalks were integral in that space it didn't have anything to do with that. One of the best things that ever happened in OKC was his retirement. Now there is a renewed interest in putting sidewalks back into the city.

Thought this was interesting:

Get Your Walk Score - A Walkability Score For Any Address

Red=Least Walkable
    Green=Most Walkable

Dowtown is the only 'Walker's Paradise' according to this site.

Quote Originally Posted by bdhumphreys View Post
    Hey Everyone,

Greg emailed me and I posted my reply to his question here:

imagiNATIVEamerica Living a Walkable Lifestyle in OKC

Would be interested to get your thoughts.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Platemaker View Post
    Thought this was interesting:

Get Your Walk Score - A Walkability Score For Any Address

Red=Least Walkable
    Green=Most Walkable

Dowtown is the only 'Walker's Paradise' according to this site.
    Check the neighborhoods mentioned with walkscore but remember walk score will assume there are sidewalks, most places here do not have sidewalks or bike lanes. You cannot get around here without a car.

I would also spend at least a weekend here checking things out before you decide you want to move here.

Based on your criteria, I would recommend Heritage Hills or Crown Heights. The grocery store is lacking, though, but 2 out of 3 isn't bad. Lots of trees, restaurants, and sidewalks (not sure if Crown Heights has sidewalks, though). Downtown events, museums, etc., are all minutes away, too. Grocery store is purportedly in the works, but it'll probably still be another year or two.

12. Default Re: Pedestrian Friendly Neighborhoods

Are we really discouraging bright, urban-minded people from moving or even thinking of moving to Oklahoma City? I agree that OKC isn't extremely conducive to a fully-walkable lifestyle right now, but we're working on it, and making progress by leaps and bounds.

Greg, I'd encourage you to come here and pitch in. We need people like you, and you can make a greater impact here in a shorter period of time than you can in any U.S. city of more than a million people, I'd wager. You might find that you like being a part of CREATING the type of place you're currently living in. bdhumphreys gave you some good places to start.

Wrong Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Are we really discouraging bright, urban-minded people from moving or even thinking of moving to Oklahoma City?
    Seriously! I never even considered telling him to stay in Denver. In fact, initially I thought he was just doing research and didn't realize he was considering a move. Otherwise I would have thrown on my counter-culture/moderate/planner/chamber-of-commerce cap and gone to work pointing out:

*all of the opportunity,
    *emerging urban community,
    *progressive planning staff (thank you Russell),
    *and bargain-basement prices

that make Oklahoma City one of the most intriguing cities in America. There is a crew of young, entrepreneurial, progressive, and even liberal (weird, I know) persons that are coming back or relocating to Oklahoma City, building a life and pitching in to make this city great.

I agree with urbanized... and this was not the wrong thread.

Welcome! We're Denver transports ourselves. Just be sure to bring a good stock pile of Fat Tire. Can't buy the stuff here.

I good place is Deep Deuce and the emerging area of urban housing developments just north of Bricktown. You've got entertainment, restaurants, new markets, professional sports, Midtown food and retail, theatres, all within a short walk or bike ride. Although it's too bad we don't have a better downtown public transit system for cold days...

I lived in Capitol Hill in Denver (a while back) on 16th and Ogden. When I first moved here, I wasn't very happy, but now I love it. There really is nothing quite like Capitol Hill here, but the Midtown area probably most resembles it. But, I agree that the Deep Deuce area would probably be a better choice for lots of reasons. I'm moving there, in hopes of more closely simulating my Denver living experience.

19. Default Re: Pedestrian Friendly Neighborhoods

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    I lived in Capitol Hill in Denver (a while back) on 16th and Ogden. When I first moved here, I wasn't very happy, but now I love it. There really is nothing quite like Capitol Hill here, but the Midtown area probably most resembles it. But, I agree that the Deep Deuce area would probably be a better choice for lots of reasons. I'm moving there, in hopes of more closely simulating my Denver living experience.
    I think betts was right with her first thought of Midtown. The Plaza Court area is really packed with good food, a YMCA, the Midtown Deli will open in a few months and the Homeland grocery store at 18th & Classen continues to broaden it's product mix. The real plus is that Midtown is closer to the OKC Museum of Art, Civic Center Music Hall and Stage Center than Deep Deuce.

Lots of urban pioneer fixerupper residential and vacant lots to build on in the Midtown Cottage District along with plenty of rental opportunities in the area. Midtown really has a lot to offer. Midtown has the views and if we get some snow, we can ski Shartel from 10th down to 4th Street, or west from 6th & Dewey . . . Deep Deuce can't match that.

Michael Smith

Pray For World Peace . . . pass it on
    The Old Downtown Guy

It will take decades for Oklahoma City's
    downtown core to regain its lost gritty,
    dynamic urban character, but it's exciting
    to observe and participate in the transformation.

20. Default Re: Pedestrian Friendly Neighborhoods

Quote Originally Posted by tnajk View Post
    Welcome! We're Denver transports ourselves. Just be sure to bring a good stock pile of Fat Tire. Can't buy the stuff here.
    Hey tnajk, we need to start a Fat Tire Coallition to keep a regular supply of our favorite beverage flowing in from Texas, New Mexico and Colorado. I always bring back a couple of extra cases for friends if I visit Dallas or Santa Fe and they return the favor. Actually . . . OKC won't be a big league city until we can have a Tire at our favorite pedestrian friendly neighborhood bar.

Michael

Pray For World Peace . . . pass it on
    The Old Downtown Guy

It will take decades for Oklahoma City's
    downtown core to regain its lost gritty,
    dynamic urban character, but it's exciting
    to observe and participate in the transformation.

Nichols Hills I would consider to be mildly walkable if you live close to Western. There is the Crescent Market in Nichols Hills plaza with many stores and restaurants in that area. You probably would be the only person walking, but it is a good area, just housing is hard to find.

22. Default Re: Pedestrian Friendly Neighborhoods

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Are we really discouraging bright, urban-minded people from moving or even thinking of moving to Oklahoma City? I agree that OKC isn't extremely conducive to a fully-walkable lifestyle right now, but we're working on it, and making progress by leaps and bounds.

Greg, I'd encourage you to come here and pitch in. We need people like you, and you can make a greater impact here in a shorter period of time than you can in any U.S. city of more than a million people, I'd wager. You might find that you like being a part of CREATING the type of place you're currently living in. bdhumphreys gave you some good places to start.
    What he said. Hopefully we haven't scared Greg off.

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Downtown Guy View Post
    we need to start a Fat Tire Coallition to keep a regular supply of our favorite beverage flowing in from Texas, New Mexico and Colorado.
    This is probably the best idea that's ever been proposed here at OKC Talk.

It amazes me (somewhat) that Fat Tire isn't available there, you can find it on draft almost as easily as Shiner Bock down here in Central Texas....and Shiner is only about 70 miles from here.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    It amazes me (somewhat) that Fat Tire isn't available there, you can find it on draft almost as easily as Shiner Bock down here in Central Texas....and Shiner is only about 70 miles from here.
    My understanding is that Fat Tire will not deliver here because beer over 3.2 can't be refrigerated in Oklahoma. My former mother-in-law owns a liquor store and she says that is what the people at New Belgium Brewing told her. Don't you love laws that protect us from ourselves?

Thread Information